Out of Character Chat

Powderhorn

Ah - that was just for the people still sleeping - yours was the healer's eye and movement. Looks like everything is caught up, and we can shift into more traditional rounds of combat \o/

As near as I can tell, there aren't any RAW for fighting in dark conditions, having spent the last 15 minutes searching the rule book, the new SRD, Reddit, and the WWN Discord. I'm thinking to call it a -2 to attacks unless your character has some sort of dark vision, like Toktok, until a source of light is brought up. Happy to have discussion on that point though.

I think this one is squarely in the "GM's call" territory. It falls under the generic "Any other situational modifiers or penalties are also added to the roll" that's on page 42. Page 43 has some examples that can be used as guidelines.

I might suggest a different modifier for ranged attacks vs. melee attacks. Or having the modifier stack by range, like -1 for every ## feet (which could vary depending on the ambient light from either moonlight or the distant campfire). Eabha's Healer's Eye could negate that entirely, or Toktok's darkvision would negate the first 60 feet of penalties.

I was going to say that Suibne's armor could avoid that attack, and Otto was going to be all proud of that, but then I remembered that - having just woken up - Suibne's probably not wearing his armor.

16 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:

Eabha's Healer's Eye could negate that entirely

I was wondering about that, yeah. At least if it could reduce the penalty.

@Powderhorn you mentioned the sleepers not having armor on, but what about us on watch? I would assume we would be at least carrying our weapons?

Yes, but if he only has his small shield then his AC will only be 13, so the attack roll of 15 will connect. In this case it's a successful strike, not an instance of Shock.