Out of Character Chat

Powderhorn

Right - the 15 looks like it should hit, and since rolled damage was less than shock damage, the higher damage value is taken from said shock.

The dice, for whatever reason, love this party :P

I was just waiting for my crazy week to be over. My car is semi-functional again and today should be quiet so I should be able to wrap up my post.

Sorry @Tecumseh if you've been waiting on me, I know you mentioned Otto waiting to hear something so I wanted to post sooner.

Or it could be a grunt of pain from Suibne.

Of course, the question is who does what. Otto doesn't know anything about bugbears and doesn't know if this is just a diversion for a larger raid. So he might hang back to guard the other merchants unless someone tells him otherwise. (Eabha is leader-y so he'll follow her instructions.)

Can Toktok grab a weapon, stand, move and attack all this turn, or will the attack have to wait until next turn?

An alternate approach might be standing and throwing one of his axes.

I think so - looking at the rules as written, we have:

Move Actions

Move Actions involve moving up to the participant’s normal movement rate. Thus, a normal human with a movement rate of 30 feet can move up to that distance with a Move action. Climbing, swimming, crossing difficult terrain, or other challenging movement usually is only half as fast as normal combat movement. A participant gets one Move action per round, though they can also choose to spend their Main Action taking an additional Move action if they wish.

On Turn Actions

On Turn Actions are quick, simple acts that take very little time and focus to perform, such as falling prone, saying a few words, a skilled archer reloading a bow from a Readied quiver, drawing out a Readied object, or similar things. A participant can only perform an On Turn action on their own turn, but they can do as many of them as the GM thinks is reasonable.

So the way I figure it is this: Getting up isn't crossing difficult terrain, but should have some cost: I think having it cost 5' of movement is a nice, reasonable thing to go with. Picking up your weapon as an on-turn action, I think we can say guards sleeping around camp have their weapons reasonably "readied." Now if, down the road, someone gets disarmed in combat, maybe a different story - but for now, I don't want to essentially keep burning rounds while people "get ready" for combat.

Some of these action are mentioned explicitly on p. 45.

Pick up an Item and Stand Up are both Move actions, although the description for Stand Up says you can pick up "dropped belongings" with the same action.

Standing up and throwing an axe seems like it would work, although GM mentioned the cart as having canvas so it's possible that the target might be obscured and/or have cover. You might want to tell Suibne to duck.

I think I can also throw an axe to make a ranged swarm attack (or someone less martial could do that as well). By RAW there doesn't appear to be any chance of hitting a friendly in melee, and it guarantees any shock will get through. Can we see what kind of armor the bugbear is wearing (if any)?