Interlude 1

Papa Bear

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 105/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 4/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben blinks in surprise as Remy breaks down crying. He was mentally prepared for a multitude of reactions, most of them violent and involving a fair number of swearing. But this reaction was not one he thought remotely possible. The woman makes such a show of being so strong and putting on a good front, but it's clear that her concerns go deeper than that. Eithne laid it all out there about the corruption. He's unsure if it's her brain or that fancy crown she wears, but the lady knows a lot about that. He didn't see the druid's response as overly critical, perhaps a bit too honest but not in a mean way.

The fighter bursts to his feet and gets over to that side of the table to protectively hug Remy. He doesn't say anything for the moment, just letting her vent some pent-up emotions. Glancing around the breakfast crowd, he looks for gawkers and sends a threatening stare their way to encourage them to mind their own damn business.

He finally says, "It's okay. It ain't that bad, and not only does Eithne know a lot about it, but she knows how to remove its taint. A little isn't so bad but it's easy to get out of control. And we haven't been stomping around the Shadow Realm like you have. It's why you have friends, Remy, to keep you grounded, to notice things you don't even see yourself. It ain't over. The best way to exercise those doubts is to smash some heads. I mean, we just took down a domain lord and we feel great about it. Plus, we got to help a whole realm of people sending them home...for good!"

He doesn't think twice about giving her his magic cloak to dry her tears if they can't get a napkin or something else. Somehow, a tear-stained cloak is far less important than taking care of Remy.

Tabletop

Eithne Black

OOC

I forgot that my picture would break without the old site. Aw well, I needed to rework the format anyway. It kept scrunching everything up every time I would clone a post.

Eithne's arm snaked around the two warriors as she kept a hold on Remy's hand. This right here, this rare genuine moment, it was the reason that Eithne could believe in Troben's boasting. He was the kind of hero she could admire.

"Take as much time as you need. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. We'll be here all the same."

• 2 weeks later...

Remy had agreed to have a purification ritual performed over here to reduce the amount of corruption she had absorbed. Grenval Cobbletop had be instrumental in helping to arrange the ritual and provide some of the key components, though nothing was particularly valuable. Still, in a 'regular town' back home, it wouldn't have taken much effort at all.

Before the ritual, Remy was very adamant that her uncle not be involved. Despite her outpouring to the group, she still harbored a lot of resentment toward him. The ritual itself was very taxing on Eithne. She'd never cast a spell like it before. When it was complete, Remy had a different outlook on her uncle and went to him crying, begging for forgiveness. Grenval warned that the Dragonlance that she carried was a very dark and dangerous item. Remy, however, was still very unwilling to part with it.

In the meantime, the group ventured into the Shadowlands with Baldric, the dwarf, and the sorcerer. Between the Paladin and the Cleric, there was almost a sense of protection from the vileness of that place. But get too far from either of them and a pervasive immersion into darkness that deadened the soul began to overwhelm you. Even so, you took 'breaks' from that vile place far more often than you had the Frost Lord's realm. Even the power of Baldrick and Tiberion's gods waned after a time there. The Essence that you had gotten was required by Grenval in the creation of more Runestones to return back to town, which you were using quite frequently.

Eventually, Morag's bow was finished and another commissioned for Rik as he'd begun to take on too much corruption himself. As she had said, Remy stayed back, feet kicked up in front of a roaring fire, even after much of her corruption had been purified. Her skills were missed, but Baldrick was happy that she didn't venture into the Shadowlands as it was bad enough that she wielded the Dragonlance. He didn't want the foulness of that realm to further her corruption as it had been.

OOC

The Shadowlands are a bastion of corruption, much worse than you've faced before. Give me three DC 15 Corruption Saves, gaining +1 additional corruption for each 5 points by which you fail. However, with the holy light of the paladin and cleric along with you, you gain advantage on each of those saves.

As well, as soon as Lumo is ready, lets get some rolls for that bow. As mentioned previously, I do not know the rules for crafting in 5e so... yeah :)

as well, each of you have claimed a room in the Adventurer's Guild on the north side of town.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 4/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben does his best not to draw attention to Remy's emotional state after Eithne's cleansing rite purges the corruption from her body. He's sure that she doesn't express her emotions well, something he can relate to burying his true feeling under a façade of false bravado. It doesn't help that the Dragonlance is a primary source of her corruption. He also can understand not wanting to part with a weapon so powerful. There are a lot of parallels to her situation that Troben secretly finds disturbing.

When they are ready to leave for the portal to the Shadowlands, Troben is there to greet Remy's uncle, Baldric, and the two newcomers to him. Never one to miss an opportunity, the echo knight takes a chance to introduce the group, "Well, two new heroes to join my legendary tale? Wonderful! I'm Troben, Troben the Ragler. You likely already heard of me from the numerous bard songs sung about me...well...us really. This is Eithne, purger of corruption and all-around force of nature and the stars above. The quiet, sulky one is Morag; he doesn't talk much but is death on a stick both at range or close up. And then there's Vrod, our protector keeper of minions from smushing Eithne. Together, we crushed the Frost Lord and freed a bunch of people."

He grins to his companions knowing full-well that's not how they would introduce themselves at all. He doesn't care.

As they jump through the portal, Troben can almost feel the weight in the air as they arrive in the Shadowlands. It's an awful feeling of dread that almost soaks into his clothes. He isn't much of a fan of this place already. He looks to the elder paladin and asks, "Where to? The soon were kill this Lord, the better."

Tabletop

I wasn't clear if Vrod was there, but I assume so. Please let me know if you need help with all these NPCs. If you got them, then great! I'm happy to lend a hand during combat though, if it would be useful.

Time for some saving throws! Please note it will be three Wisdom saves.

Results: Two failures and one success. So that will give Troben +3 corruption (one failed by 5 and is worth +2).

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Saving Throw vs. Corruption #1 (DC 15)
TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
keep(2d20+6,highest)
Saving Throw vs. Corruption #1 (DC 15)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+6 7,5
Saving Throw vs. Corruption #2 (DC 15)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+6 4,1
Saving Throw vs. Corruption #3 (DC 15)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+6 15,10

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.1f6abd98246f81cbb98d5ec5a4acce0b.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 91/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 2/2
Guiding Bolt: 3/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

Just before they said their goodbyes and proceeded to the Shadow Realm, Eithne had one more gift for Remy. Something she hoped would help the other woman deny the power of the spear, should it prove even more willfully malignant. From her magical bag she produced her old crescent staff, which she'd claimed back from Grenval after the ritual completed.

"I asked Grenval to hold on to this staff for me until he found someone that could use it. That someone, I think, is you. I know it can't compare to the spear, but there are at least this should give you another option."

Eithne covered her mouth as she crossed the portal's threshold. She couldn't decide if it was to keep something out or to keep something in. It was instinctual. There was a wrongness to the air.

"Feeling of this place... I feel like I should be retching right now. It's a wonder you all have withstood it as well as you have. Even with the divine protection... Which way do we head Baldric?"

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
DC 15 Corruption Save #1
1d20+14 16
DC 15 Corruption Save #2
1d20+14 6
DC 15 Corruption Save #3
1d20+14 9

Corrupted: 1 - 5 corruption points. 5 Corruption combine into a Blight Point. Corrupted has little effect on the character

Blighted: 1 - 5 Blight Points. 5 Blight combine into a Villainy Point. Begins to show minor signs of 'evil' taking over. (Eyes turn to black or glowing gold, more angular features, skin darkens or reddens, etc). Your tier of Blighted produces a -1 per tier on Wisdom saves vs. Corruption, but grant you a bonus of +1 on Resolve rolls.

End Quote

Sadly, it seems Troben's picked up a point of Blight. Shadeus, pick something, a tale tell sign of the corruption; a change in eye, hair, or skin color, little horns, something, barely or fairly noticeable, your choice. I'd mention that herastor got to roll advantage on those saves for Eithne (oopse, I just did) but really, with Eithne's save, herastor really only needed to avoid rolling a natural 1.

"Yer quite a mouth, ain't ye." the Dwarven cleric, Tiberion, replies to Troben. He turns to Baldric and says, jerking his thumb toward the Echo Knight. "I like 'im."

Austin, the sorcerer doesn't say anything but has a gleam in his eye like he sees a new challenge, like keeping score for their kills.

There is an instinctual discomfort Tiberion feels toward Morag, and especially Vrod, the full blooded orc. Where the dwarf is from , orcs and dwarves are natural enemies and though the dwarf has been here long enough to understand that all orcs from the various realms are not the same, he still has a hard time overcoming his long life's experience with the orc's from his realm. Still, he is cordial enough. Vrod's eyes narrow at the dwarf, perhaps sensing the animosity from Tiberion.

"This place," Baldric says after entering the Shadowlands, "Is a barren wasteland as far as we've been able to tell. We've wandered a long time, apparently aimlessly. But we've saved a few people before they've turned and we've killed at least a hundred of the shadow's monstrosities. If only the fiend would show itself so we could end this place."

The Lady of the Lance is very reticent to take the staff. Eithne can tell that the corruption has not been fully cleansed and that the Lance yet holds some command over her. "Perhaps ye use tha staff onna lesser enemies and save that spear o' yers fer tha tougher battles." Tiberion says to her.

She flares up for a moment in anger, "The Dragonspear is mine. I earned it!" She says then her chin quivers for a moment as she looks at her Uncle. "But, perhaps i could use a challenge sometimes."

Unbeknownst to Troben, his eyes start to glow with a distance, red point of light in a pool of darkness. Despite his wicked appearance, he is still devilishly as handsome as ever.

Tabletop

I wasn't clear if Vrod was there, but I assume so. Please let me know if you need help with all these NPCs. If you got them, then great! I'm happy to lend a hand during combat though, if it would be useful.

Time for some saving throws! Please note it will be three Wisdom saves.

Results: Two failures and one success. So that will give Troben +3 corruption (one failed by 5 and is worth +2).

Troben nods slightly to Baldric and says, "Yeah, the place looks kind of empty. But Eithne here is an expert tracker, and has a knack for communing with the land. If anyone can find where the denizens of this filthy world are hiding out, she can. Then we can get one of them to tell us where to go."

The echo knight lends her a hand as best as he can.

Tabletop

Help for Eithne's Survival check so she gets advantage.

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.1f6abd98246f81cbb98d5ec5a4acce0b.png

"It's likely not going to be as easy as that," the words were a bit quieter this time. Perhaps it was the oppressive atmosphere. Perhaps Eithne just wasn't used to this much praise so frequently. Despite understanding her own contributions to the team, she never felt absolutely vital to their success. That was a familiar pressure that still left her with no fitting response; From her perspective at least.

"A little more height I think..."

She spoke mostly to herself. A rush of air followed her words as her cape's wings unfurled. With one mighty beat she was airborne, climbing as high as she could and scanning the landscape for anything between them and the horizon. When she returned, before she addressed any of her discoveries, she raise The Measure and made some of the darkness her own. With everyone cloaked in obscuring shadows she spoke of what she saw.

Mechanics

Eithne uses a minute of her cape's fly time and casts pass without trace for free from her staff.

Higher up in the air didn't do a whole lot for the distance at which Eithne could see into the gloom. There was an unnatural... fog... filling this place and it inhibited vision and, she suspected, was a major cause of the seeping depression driving into them. She didn't realize that the 'light' that the paladin and the cleric produced that helped battle the gloom was literally a light until she looked down at the group. There was a distinctive circle of dim light around the party of companions that pushed back the gloom. In previously outings in the Shadowlands, creatures would find them and it had seemed that it had to be the crunching of bones under their feet that drew the shadow fiends to them. But now she realized they were like a beacon shining in the night. And that certainly had to be what drew them. She looks out to her left and sees movement in the dark mists... something... a lot of somethings are coming.

We'll just do theater of the mind here, I think. Its just a big, flat field of crushed bones.

The bones themselves are a trip hazard. If you make a normal move, you're fine. If you run (double move), I'll need a DEX Save, DC 12 vs stumbling and/or falling.

Stumble = half movement

Fall = if your save doesn't beat a DC 8, you trip and fall d6 spaces into your movement.

Since this is theater of the mind, pfft, likely we don't really need to worry about long movements unless something specific comes up. But the crushed bones beneath your feet are a foot and more deep. Its nearly impossible to dig much deeper than that because the bone shards can't be shored up like dirt and soil but slide down like dry sand.

Anyway, you have a round to prepare yourselves while the oncoming mob remains just out of sight.

"The divine radiance is a beacon!" Eithne warned as she dived back into earshot, wingbeats kicking up bone dust, "It can be seen through the gloom for miles around. We only have a moment before a horde is upon us."

To emphasize her point, she dropped her shadows and forged the flank with the thickest of the throng into a field of deadly spikes

Mechanics

Flight: Probably took about 2 rounds to go up and down, so... 8 rounds remaining. No DEX save for her I think.

Eithne uses a 2nd level spell slot to cast spike growth.

Name
Initiative
1d20+3 18

Troben sighs softly and says, "Surely autograph-seekers. It is difficult to be famous...never a moment alone. Well, at least I have you, buddy!"

With a nod, a duplicate of himself appears close by, and they high-five in an annoying, frat-boy fashion. He says, "Yes, yes...you can go out and play. Just be back before dinner."  His echo gives a thumbs up and the slightly younger version of the warrior glides ahead over the crushed bones.

Tabletop

Troben will summon an echo and move both himself 30 closer to their horde of bad guys and the echo another 60 feet closer (so the echo is 90 from from where they started).

This smells like minions...be ready with the area effect attacks!

Name
Initiative (with advantage)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+4 11,7