Interlude 1

Papa Bear

Rik lets an arrow fly that buries itself deep into the chest of one of the Corrupted. Vrod charges into the fray, killing a Skeletal Warrior that was flanking the dwarf. Austin used a cantrip to finish off the Corrupted that Rik had shot. Seeing that the numbers of enemies around them was waning, Baldric stops using his powerful Smite ability. With two well placed cuts of his blade, he fells another Corrupted.

There are a few Corrupted and another Skeletal Warrior left. With luck, the group of undead might get taken down. With help from Eithne and Troben, it was very, very likely.

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 86/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 4/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben grins and says, "Dibs on the warrior skeleton! They burn so nicely..."

He moves to attack it in tandem with his echo looking to kill it quickly. The Warrior Skeleton doesn't stand a chance and the echo knight hacks it down and it burst into flames like a bundle of firewood. Pivoting quickly, he slashes down hard on one of the Corrupted wounding it and then finally finishing it off with a jab of his lengthy blade through its gut.

Tabletop

He will attack the warrior skeleton first and see how he does.

• Attack #1 - hits and kills the Warrior Skeleton (Mystic Energy roll will be coming soon)
  • Attack #2 - hits one of the Corrupted for 20 points of slashing/fire damage.
  • Bonus Attack - soft critical on Corrupted for 25 points of damage killing it.

He's done for this turn.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Flaming greatsword attack #1 vs. Warrior Skeleton
1d20+1d4+11 11,3
Soft Critical slashing damage
reroll(6d6,2,below,1)+8 2,3,5,1,2,3,3,6,1
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Corrupted
1d20+1d4+11 7,1
Slashing/Fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 1,5,5,2
Flaming greatsword bonus attack vs. Corrupted
1d20+1d4+11 13,2
Soft Critical Slashing/Fire damage
reroll(6d6,2,below,1) 4,6,4,6,1,1,2,3

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token.png.11aa56d60593ece637f0790b4866200d.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 91/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 1/2
Guiding Bolt: 1/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

Eithne let her words, rather than her actions, mark her targets. A swoop over the corrupted saw them seared with fire and light.

Mechanics

Flight: 1 rounds

Spike Growth: 9.3 minutes

Starry Form (Archer): 9.5 minutes

Archer attack and produce flame after flying over the others.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Archer Attack
1d20+11 3
Forgot Bless
1d4 3
Radiant Damage
1d8+6 8
Produce Flame w/ Bless
26; 3
1d20+11;1d4 [15]; [15,3]
Fire Damage (soft crit)
4d8 7,5,2,7

Between the two groups reunited, the undead fall to their onslaught. "That was dangerous. Glad you joined us going in this time. That horde could have overwhelmed us." Baldric says as he pulls out a strip of cloth to clean the rot from his blade. Austin doubles over for a moment then stands, breathing hard with his hands on his hips.

Tiberion immediately starts checking over his allies (including you) to see what blessings from his god that he might need to impart. "Any o' ye get hurt?" he says.

Baldric looks intently into the dark, looking to discover if another wave might overrun the group.

OOC: Troben gets an ME roll for that Warrior Skeleton.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 96/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 4/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben laughs and says, "Have no fear. You are now part of the tale of Troben, Troben the Ragler! And there are no martyrs in the fabulous tale of Troben the Ragler!"

He puts his hands on his hips and poses like someone is potentially watching, or an artist to paint his portrait. Alas, somehow they are surrounded by death and shadow and not the throngs of adoring fans. He looks to the cleric and says, "Tiberion, you already did much. Your blessing let us smash lots of those accursed creatures. I got beat up a bit, so I wouldn't say no to a little bit of healing. And it looks like Rik is a little horny there. Might want to deal with that corruption, but it can wait until we are out of this place.

Otherwise, I'm ready to go. Maybe we try to see if we can't search for tracks or something. Those shadow beasts are trouble and I feel like that might be the way towards the demon lord running this place."

Troben looks over the other group to see how they faired.

Tabletop

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)

"Blessings of Moradin be on ye, lad." The dwarf says as he lays a hand upon Troben's shoulder. A warmth flows from Tiberion and into Troben, then to his cuts and bruises.

"What are you talking about?" Rik grouses.

"He's right lad. You probably don't want to hear this, but it appears the foulness of this place and that dark bow you carry is affecting you." Baldric replies.

"I'm fine." Rik scolds the paladin.

"Check along yer hairline, friend." Tiberion says.

The archer scowls and looks like he's about to do something stupid when his hand goes up to his head and he finds the little horns growing there. His demeanor changes instantly. "Oh gods!"

Name
A heal for Troben
2d8+4 5,1

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token.png.11aa56d60593ece637f0790b4866200d.png

Eithne's transformation flickered and faded as she landed next to the group. Rik had started to succumb to his bow. Sadly, she'd expected it. She'd been hoping for the best since she wasn't keep on disarming the archer, but she couldn't ask him to risk his soul for a possibly fruitless chase. He wasn't the only one at risk though. Eithne pulled her dagger free and brought it's blade into Troben's view.

"Rik's not the only one at risk I'm afraid," the blade showed the Ragler his eyes, a sinister mirror of the light that dwelled in her own, "You'll have to take care as well Troben. There's a real risk your tale could take a darker turn."

She offered the blade to Rik with a comforting hand on his shoulder, "This can be fixed so long as we don't let it progress to far. The bow is dangerous and, as hard as it might be, you should set aside its use for now."

Mechanics

Troben raises and eyebrow and looks at his own reflection in the blade a little surprised. He rubs his goatee a moment and then gets a smirk on his face saying, "A dark turn? I like it! It could turn evil and then it would be a cool redemption arc! What great storytelling there! Let me practice my evil laugh."

For the next several minutes, he tries putting his hands on his hips or over his stomach with an exaggerated sinister laugh that can only sound like "muahaha." It's not even sort of comical, it's laughable and not at all realistic, but he seems to have a good time with it. He then says, "Enough with the rest. Let's see where these things came from and head that way. We have to find them first before we can kill them. And I don't trust those shadow beast, things. Everyone stay within 30 feet of me; with my awesome powers of perception, it is simply impossible for me to be surprised."

He peers around the featureless plane of nothing looking for...um, he doesn't know what. But he's confident if there is something there, he would definitely see it. Probably.

Tabletop

They know where they came from, so the group can head that way. Troben will try a Survive check to track, but Eithne's going to be way better at tracking.

Name
Survival check
1d20+3 11

herastor, can I get a Persuasion check to convince Rik to give up his bow, even if only for a little while.

Troben, the Great and Mighty Ragler, stares into the darkness but can see nothing but a field of crushed bone as far as he can see and even a little beyond, in all directions. Its a bit disconcerting. As he's about to make up an 'answer' to where they ought to be going, Baldric, who had been reaching out with his Divine Senses, says, "I sense great evil in that direction, but how far and what, I cannot say. I'm lucky to even be able to feel it... though that may be a bad omen as to vastness of that evil." 

The group begins trudging on in the direction Baldric pointed out. It was impossible to tell which direction it was and whether they continued on in a straight line in the assigned direction. "How do you all feel? Austin? Eithne? Are you able to call upon your gifts in sufficient quantity should we face another rush such as that?" Baldric asks. "I, myself, may have panicked a bit and smote more enemies than I needed to."

"We kin always use tha rune stone an' go back, if'n any might need a rest." Tiberion suggests. "But I believe me got will empower me sufficiently for another such encounter. 'Specially if'n out Holy Light continues ta hold out."

"Those eyes gives your face a wholly different quality, Troben." Rik says as they walk on the bones crunching beneath their feet. "Do I look like some kind of half-teifling or something?" he asks.

"Troben, that has to be the worst idea I've ever heard," Eithne would've smacked that notion right out of his head if she wasn't certain she'd break her hand on his ego, "By the hells, do you want to end up like the Huntsman you told me about?"

Still shaking her head, she answered Baldric confidently, "I still have a number of spells to call upon. I'll be sure to let you know if we need to abandon this sojourn."

The situation with Rik, however, was far less certain.

"I don't think you need to be overly worried about the horns Rik. They should fade with the corruption. If not... Speaking from personal experience, my horns didn't define me after I received them and your horns wouldn't define you."

Mechanics

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 14
Survival
1d20+9 19

Troben grins at the druid as she chastises him saying, "You are as bad as my mother! You are right, of course. Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow path. You have to admit, I nailed that evil laugh though. I could have made a great villain! Look at this goatee! It's villainous facial hair! Alright, alright...don't give me that look. I will let it go. Hero it is!"

He nods to Rik and says, "It's true. It looks like I'm not to be trifled with...but, Eithne is right. It's not these changes to our appearance that define us; it's what we do. And I don't know about you, but glowing, evil eyes only make me want to kick the bad guys in the pants even harder."

When Baldric starts talking about turning back, Troben looks at him indignant and says, "I have barely even BEGUN to fight! If I have to carry on the fight by myself, I will. I could take on another six...no, TEN of those hordes before I start to fade. We push on and cleanse the wickedness from this realm. We will need the space for the library dedicated to my tales. Just think....shelves and shelves of stories about me."

Getting starry-eyed, he looks into the distance and says softly, "It would be glorious..."

Done with his playful banter, he's ready to follow Baldric's gut toward evil. The truth is they need the dwarf and the paladin warding off the worst of the effects of this realm. But he's barely even touched his resources and has a long way to go before he's tired.

Tabletop

Troben has all his abilities left still. He definitely needs to use more of them before he will want to head back.

Periodically, when the group needs a break or they come upon some place sketchy, Troben will pause and send his echo avatar ahead to look around the area. First off, it's two Trobens....so what could be better? Also, at lets them have eyes and ears ahead of the group to hopefully discover a problem before it's a problem.

Tabletop

The echo can go 1000 ft ahead, so it's not miles ahead to keep things manageable.

The darkness around them is so thick that its almost like fog and extra Troben has difficulty seeing beyond the reach of his arm. However, if something were to attack, it would likely go for Double Troben, out in the dark, away from the holy light of the paladin and cleric. That would definitely provide some warning.

As the group marches toward the evil felt by Baldric, Eithne and Troben begin to eye each other... They are being followed by creatures in the darkness surrounding them. The others don't seem to hear the light crunching of the bones beneath the feet of creeping enemies. There is a fellness in the air that sends a chill down their back and worse if not for the holy light surrounding the cleric and paladin. Gratefully, they did not come to this place first instead of the Frost Lord's realm.