Session 6: Praise the Sun!

GM Saint

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin just nods in response to Aaliyah's question about his holy symbol. He just keeps working to get it as clean as possible. Luckily Sola did not require perfection, she used him didn't she, and he was far from perfect. Regarding the baby shadow squid, he replies, "Argh, I don't know. I think that maybe we ought not pee on their porridge while they be helping us out. When we get to Exiles Pass, we should mention it to those in charge that perhaps this ain't the big one and they should be prepared." He speaks so as not to be overheard. Then he looks around at the wounded men to see who needs some healing.

@TheGospel

Mechanics *

MOVE: None

ACTION: None

BONUS ACTION: None

OOC: How many wounded are there? Trying to decide which spell to use to heal them.

@TheGospel @WolfBirch

The few injured men aren't too badly hurt and very few magical resources are needed as none of the injuries would be imminently life threatening without magical aid. Healing them this way is more of a courtesy. Assessing the men though, you do remember the nature of the Shadow's attacks. These men aren't badly injured because they weren't really directly attacked. Most likely, the dozen men they lost fighting it would have been killed instantly when attacked or driven so mad they had to be put down.

You can see the city in the distance. It'll only be a couple hours before you arrive. Is there anything you want to do while you walk?

Murdain ShattershieldMurdain3.png.a5d60e98af2a810e67d63571adaee46c.png

Class: Psion 5 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 10/10 |💼 Inventory

There wasnt any need to discuss. Both of seemed to have the same concern, or at least the same idea. Higher vantage point to understand situation and position. Strange old man with a ...walking stick? Stave? Moving dead bodies. How fresh? Did he kill them? Could they have a talk about where they were without issue? The dwarf moved around the hill, using the tents to block line of sight and refocusing his replenished psionic energy just in case.
@Knave

OOC/Mechanics

Action: Hide
Bonus Action: Psionic Empowerment
Free Action: 
Move: 30ft towards top of hill
Reaction:
OOC: 

Name
Stealth(detecting me is at Dis)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+8 13,6
Perception
18; 16
1d20+8;1d20+8 [10]; [10,8]

@Knave @Diofant

Murdain. The man lifts his head for a moment and glances around but you've already moved and ducked low. He was very aware of his surroundings for a man in his latter years. Once he goes back to it, you make your way to one of the corpses he's already moved from. It's wearing simple leathers and linens, wet but not terribly damaged except for normal wear and tear. The body is wilting a bit fast, more decayed than it should be considering the condition of the clothes. The cause of death is obvious; it's throat is missing.

Ved. As you watch on from your vantage and Murdain prowls around, you see the man move to another body and pull a small purse off it before touching the body's face. Then he casts some kind of spell and draws a black rune in the air. The body shifts a little as if deflating, starting to break down rapidly.

image.png.0d2bf1c6a4777346ef39bc7c9b9df1f0.png

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 3/2 | AC: 17| HP: 43/43 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d6+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o][o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 2/2

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o] (War lvl2) [o][o]  

@WolfBirch

"If you wanted to kill her defacing it, I can't help you but I can pay someone else to. She deserves to die I think." Aaliyah had just one person in the world she hated and that was Birianna. Being under someone else's control felt so very counter to her nature. Would it hurt Souris terribly so?

"I can't heal people so," she pulls her flute out and begins playing it. Its a lively, upbeat tune. Maybe she could help lift their spirits a tiny bit

image.png.3d378821b1ebc03be46be4efa85efbdf.png.c9ea60af0e8e668ec25b62a840402668.png.76d08b504c228d0e9c116d1657441a8a.png

Name: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 11 | HP: 35/35(41/45) | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 

Saves | Attacks | Cantrips | Magic Items | Wildshape: 

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1 ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2 ▣ ▣ |   Level 3 ▣ ▣ | Luck ▣ ▣

In the eerie silence she could hear every twig snap and leaf rumple underfoot, well at least those under Nikolette's noticeably heavier footfalls, though if she'd been wearing metal armor instead of leather slippers her foot falls would likely be heavier as well. Fortunately her magic muted it.

"Very useful... and it just sort of slipped out. I'm pretty practiced in remembering dreams, and... some stay with you more than others..." The little druid wondered if the dreams had been shared at random, either would have suited Baba, the chaos of it or purposely separating Souris from those the aged woman didn't approve of, or those who she seemed to lean on too much. Though pairing her with the drow seemed like an odd choice.

"Would you call someone a coward for not swimming in a poison lake? If there has been no need for you to submit yourself to pain, why would you." She gave her a small smile, then looked back to the path ahead. "I was just curious if some traits were... hereditary."

@Alliebaby

Dice Ex Machina

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin looks at Aaliyah very seriously, "Aye, I don't figure that the hag deserves to die for ruining Sola's symbol, or separating us from our companions or even for hating me. Now if ye have a reason that she should be dead, I would certainly help ye to stop her, even if her magic keeps ye from attacking her yerself. I just don't figure that Souris would stand by us on that count. Perhaps for now we best just stay clear of the old witch. I for one, would be more than happy to never see her again." As the elf gets out a flute and starts to play, Barkvin claps his hands and starts to hum along. His humming is a little off, but he keeps it quiet enough not to distract from the music that is being performed while he goes about healing the wounded.

@TheGospel

Mechanics

MOVE: to the wounded

ACTION: heals the wounded

BONUS ACTION: None

OOC: Let me know if I need to mark off any spell slots.

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class Blood Hunter | Level: 5 | AC: 15| HP: 60/60 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 14 / Wis 10 / Cha 8
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [o] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

@Rumrunner

"For wolves, they are. Every wolf I've killed has some similarity to the their maker..." she trails off a bit and chews on her lip, considering the situation. "This question intrigues me. I believe I lived an event in your life, or a dream you've had. I suspect you've done so as well, given the only wolf I've seen with a streak down it's back is...

"Did my memory offer you much context? You saw when I was bitten." Her eyes close in a pained wince and her hand goes to her collar where the bite had occurred. "It was my husband... he knew. He knew what bit him on that trip and thought he had it under control. That night I surprised him, took him to bed early... he must not have had time to get far enough away. It's that easy. You think you can control the wolf but it is simply that easy to make a mistake."

image.png.0d2bf1c6a4777346ef39bc7c9b9df1f0.png

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 3/2 | AC: 17| HP: 43/43 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d6+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o][o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 2/2

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o] (War lvl2) [o][o]  

@WolfBirch

"I don't know. I just know my mom says I'm meant to be free because I'm Valeborn and this is a great blessing but if Baba says jump, I jump. It doesn't feel very free... I can't even be Souris' friends because I dont know if I want to be her friend or if she's making me be her friend.

"Does that make sense? I know I'm just a dumb little girl. Maybe I'm just being a baby."

Class: Psion 5 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 10/10 |💼 Inventory

The old man was certainly an oddity, but he seemed so... commonplace. Looting dead bodies, the decay magic, and the way each corpse was missing its throat certainly set off a lot of warnings, but... Even with how all the signs, they desperately needed information. And who knew who this man was? Necromancer he could be, but it was possible he was a druid. Not that that guaranteed friendliness, but this was the Vale. Laws were different here. It was best to figure things out before judging. He stood up, approaching from the side of the tents with his palms stretched forward and up, in a show of non-hostility.

"Good morning to you, elder. May I ask for your name, unless you'd rather we stay strangers - if that's the case, can I ask in what part of the Vale I find myself?"

@Knave

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: Dunno if Diplomacy is needed, I'll add it just in case.

@Knave @Diofant

The man turns quickly, grabbing at his chest with one hand and brandishing his staff with the other. At a glance, it looks like the man was holding his chest like one might in surprise but you notice he's clasping something under his robe there. Likely a holy symbol or a focus of some sort. "Oh! Shadow save me, you gave me quite a scare."

He overtly sizes you up for a moment before responding. "Well, if I'm going to be robbed or killed soon, I suspect I'd like to know your name at least. Mine is Tel, just Tel. Never much one for surnames or titles. If you truly are lost, Exile's Pass is just a few miles off from here," he answers, pointing north and west.

@WolfBirch @TheGospel

And not long later, you reach the gates of Exile's Pass and are met with an interestingly friendly but also scary procession. A woman, not quite into her middle age but approaching it and a very young man. The woman is wearing a set of well worn field plate armor. The armor shows signs of battle with tiny dings and stains. It's been extremely well maintained but there are those small signs that never quite return to perfect. A white cloak with golden trim hangs on her back. On her back is a bastard sword, the hilt of which resembles a sun in how it flares out. She wears Sola's symbol proudly around her neck but it's also emblazoned on her tabard, white with gold threading for the symbol. She's pretty enough with long blonde hair she's allows to hang freely for now.

The young man would be considered just a boy by many standards. While the woman is human, this boy seems half elven but heavily favoring his human heritage with just the slightest point to his ears to suggest elven lineage. You'd guess he's about fourteen. He's wearing white robes with a golden sun on the chest and a matching holy symbol around his neck. He has a large book at side, likely a book of prayers that many clerics carry when they're young and new.

"Hail all, and praise the sun!" The woman yells, holding both hands into the air as a sort of salute. "It would seem you found your quarry. Shall I take this to mean this current crisis is no longer?"

"L-Lady Dawn, you're... south..." The man says as many of them men with the group had begun anxiously touching their weapons.

"At ease, good men. It is not forbidden for us to enter the Vale, only to exact justice within it. Whatever your past crimes, they do no exist here, as the King-Priest has decreed," she calls, trying to reassure the men before one of them gets it in their head to start a fight.

"Right. Um- for certain. Well, this is the beastie. We got it back here in a hurry. It seems to be breaking down quick. Nasty thing, this... whatever it is. It hit a man and he went right mad, wilted away. We had to burn our dead because something told me they might not stay that way."

image.png.3d378821b1ebc03be46be4efa85efbdf.png.c9ea60af0e8e668ec25b62a840402668.png.76d08b504c228d0e9c116d1657441a8a.png

Name: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 11 | HP: 35/35(41/45) | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 

Saves | Attacks | Cantrips | Magic Items | Wildshape: 

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1 ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2 ▣ ▣ |   Level 3 ▣ ▣ | Luck ▣ ▣

She knew the answers before they came, feared them even, but there was nothing one could do to change the past. The beast within was always hungry, and if it was not fed, then it would hunt.

"Wolves aren't meant to be controlled like that, they follow a pack. I think the lycanthropes can be best understood as such, a lone wolf is like a person cut off from people, they go mad eventually. They need to hunt, and if they do not do so in a natural environment, well, there's a reason you should not keep wild animals as pets. You seem to have your wolf well in line, perhaps because you give it the opportunity to hunt that it needs?"

@Alliebaby

Dice Ex Machina

He's overplaying his surprise. Pretty fast, too. Maybe holy symbol? Most wizards I've seen used a staff as a focus. Barkvin, on the other hand had his on his chest. The dwarf nodded to the man's introduction. "Tel. Dain works for me. Just Dain. No robbery or murder though. Seems you're just as wary of me as I'm of you. T'be expected, I guess." He nodded at the corpse pile. The implication was clear 'your work?'. "None of my business, though..." He paused. The ripped throats could be from Souris... Or Nikoletta. "Was a bit lost, its true. You by chance met a masked young woman?" That could be Souris OR Nikoletta, and he could specify details; also let him check the man's words easier. Murdain scratched his head. "Orc with a funny hat, maybe? Girl in a green dress with what looks like fox ears?" He invoked the Shadow's name which could be... Umbra, maybe? Umbra's priest? Well, he'd no quarrel with them, apart from Skorn.
@Knave

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: Dunno if Diplomacy is needed, I'll add it just in case.

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Deception
1d20+7 19

@Knave @Diofant

"Ohhh no no, I just stumbled upon this trove. Not certain what killed these men but it was violent and emotional." He considers his situation and tosses the most recent small pouch to you. "I suppose I can share, since it's just a salvage. Gotta do the Lady's work though, if you don't mind. Make sure these dead lads stay dead. Can't have all that violence decide it's worth coming back for."

"I've not seen anyone else around today. Just found a bit of a tug this way, figured I'd find a bit of a mess and maybe lunch money." He kneels over another of the men, "I thought I'd ask one of them what happened but if you plan to kill me... I reckon I'll see them soon enough." Standing back up, he eyes you critically again. "I'm not afraid to die. Too old for pain so if you're gonna have a go, do me the courtesy to make it quick."

Edited by GM Saint (see edit history)
Name
Insight
1d20+8 11