General Thread

ArcaneStomper

• 2 months later...

Actually I've been meaning to ask about what kind of Rampants/Spirits exist in more details since Delcroix has probably encountered a lot. I was planning on writing her a journal/compendium but never really got around to it. Now that I have a second breath from the site change I'd like to know wht is already there before I start making up encounters

I'm not sure if I've shared this before.

Sprites

The humble sprite is a mainstay of the supernatural ecosystem. Most of them appear to be mundane animals with slightly unusual features, and they tend to act like mundane animals as well. As a rule of thumb the more magic a sprite has the more unusual it will look and the smarter it will be. A low level sprite will act like an animal, while a highly magical sprite will have an almost human level of intellect.

Typically sprites are shy and will flee from and and all potential danger, but they will congregate around potential sources of food such as mana pools and spirit terminals. They will also typically follow rampants from a safe distance as they can both feed on the scraps Rampants drop and on the Rampants themselves if they are killed.

Most sprites are untrustworthy as they are highly motivated by their own self interest and won’t hesitate to take any action if they think it would benefit them. Still most sprites are no threat to even a mundane human much less a scion.

Elementals

Sprites who grow old and powerful enough are rated at a higher level than their former peers. These elementals are both immensely magical and quite cunning. But unlike sprites, who tend to roam around, elementals create lairs in high magic zones and stay there. 

Elementals are just as self interested as their lesser kin, but already being very powerful are typically more indulgent to the requests of others. They tend to keep their word, especially to scions, as they are have high enough profiles to be worth tracking down and eliminating if they prove troublesome. They also benefit from having a level of scion activity near them as Rampants can and will hunt elementals given a chance.

Elementals can be quite powerful and it is recommended that newer scions avoid aggravating them.

Rampants

Unlike sprites and elementals, rampants come from the Outside. As such they tend to be far more alien in appearance, and even somewhat fluid in form. Rampants exist only to feed and grow and will seek out the nearest source of magic and souls in order to do so. Humans provide a neat package of both and are the most consistent food of Rampants, though they can eat any source of magic, and greatly favor Scions when they get the opportunity.

Even the weakest Rampant is a dangerous foe as they are inherently extremely magical. Less experienced Scions should consult with their Moochees about the threat level of Rampants they encounter and it is advised that all Scions hunt in teams.

In general Moochees rank Rampant on the following scale.

Proto Rampant: 

The weakest type freshly spawned from the Outside. Generally even a new Scion can handle a proto rampant, but caution is still advised as not all rampant spawn with the same level of energy.

Lesser Rampant: 

A rampant that has had the opportunity to feed for several days or weeks. Their barriers have formed and they are a tough fight for a new scion. It is advised that most scions fight these in pairs or triads.

Greater Rampant: 

A rampant that has found a rich source of energy or fed for quite some time. With hardened barriers and large reserves of magic to call on they are great threats. Greater Rampant will often have corrupted local sprites into serving as minions. It is advised that only veteran scions fight a Greater Rampant

Major Rampant: 

Rampant that have killed scions or found another source of very rich magic not only become extremely magical, but also very intelligent. They can lay traps, build devices, and even command lesser rampants. It is very unlikely that you will spot a major rampant before they spot you. So just try to survive and call for reinforcements.

No, you hadn't! And thank you for fixing that

But now it makes me wonder what other lore we're missing out on. Like, what kind of magic is there? How do you awaken someone into becoming a Scion? Why don't the Moochees just build an army of constructs as immortal guardians? (oh boy, Scion Dreadnoughts would be equal mix nightmarish and cool) What kind of stuff is on the high Rise? Who the hell is this Red Lady the Firesheeps talked about? I swear if it's the Crimson Princess

Ah wait! While on the look-out for tidbits, I noticed something. In the Juniper City resume, you mentionned Hope Middle School. But right now we're in Hope High School. Are there two schools named "Hope" or is it a continuity error (just to be sure cuz... I don't actually know where Delcroix studies yet, the American school system is confusing...)

Edited by Abalon (see edit history)

There's all kinds of magic. Spirits mostly have elemental magic. Moochees handle magical equipment and construction along with soul magic for healing rampant victims. Human mages who aren't scions don't have a lot to work with so they mainly use mass rituals focused on laying down wards and enchanting specific ritual foci. Scions are the power houses and can pretty much do any kind of magic if they bother learning it. Rampants meanwhile mostly do spatial distortion and soul magic from the other side.

Moochees make scions by finding people with high magical aptitude and super charging them with mana from the goddess.

Moochees don't have a lot of independence. They were created to aid the scions by the goddess. So that's what they do. Constructs also have problems with reacting to unexpected situations.

The lowest levels of the High Rise are basically a market place where people try to get Scions to buy stuff. Because scions with their immense magical power are basically the richest people in the magical economy. Going up further floors house various Scion teams and all their support moochees. Stuff like apartments, magical armories, trophy rooms, workshops for custom gear, and even training rooms. There are also floors where the moochees do whatever they do in the background.

You don't know exactly who the Red Lady the spirit sheep were talking about is. But the moochee after action reports indicate high chances that it was either the tortoise rampant or another even more powerful rampant controlling it.

That is how American schools tend to work. You'll have something like Hope Elementary School, Hope Middle School, and Hope High School which will feed students into each other, and a lot of times are even in the same general campus. Of course they won't always have the same name. Usually there will be more of the earlier schools that all funnel into one massive high school.

17 hours ago, Abalon said:

Woah wait I get double turn? Or am I misunderstanding this

You got your surprise attack. Then the rampant went. Then everyone else is going to go. Then it'll be turn 2 and your move again. But I don't really see any point in forcing you to wait for everyone else so I'll just consolidate all the players into one block.