spacer.png

Kyros, finally able to really get to work on the thing, tries to shut down the animating force behind the tree. Even as he does so he realizes Nalah is right. This isn't a hazard that can follow them. So he backs off.

Thievery

Kyros | Swashbuckler 9 | AC 27, Fire Resistance 5 | HP 123 | Percep +14 | F +14 R +19 W +14 | SPD 30 ft. (45 w/ panache) | Focus 1/1

Name
Thievery
1d20+19 10

spacer.pngspacer.png

Kuz'Arak orders Kajimara to fall back as Garion is extricated from the tree's clutches. He stands firm, ready to aid Kyros if the thing is able to grasp him as he attempts to disable it.

Actions

Kuz'Arak

1-2: ready to move adjacent to the tree if kyros is grabbed

Perception

3: command animal

Kajimara

1: Stride

2:

Remaining Vital Beacon

4d10

4d8

4d6

4d4

Kuz'Arak |Lizardfolk Druid 9 | AC 27 (29) | HP 98 | Per +17|Speed 25 | Fort: 15 Ref: 17 Will: 17

Kajimara | animal companion 9 | AC 27 | HP 96 | Per +16 | Speed 40 | Fort: 17 Ref: 19 Will: 16

spacer.png

[Note: With Kyros disabling the hazard, Garion will go to plan B of his previous post, instead of casting Lightning Bolt.]

Waiting in the hallway, Garion feels the warmth of healing from their new dwarven companion. "Thanks Hamaar. This brings back fond memories of when Tum used to join us on these outings."

Garion considers sending a Lightning Bolt at the tree, but ... when Kyros makes the Whomping Willow stop whomping, Garion rushes in to help Drasil with his own healing touch.

Drasil heals 30hp. Cost: 1 focus point.

He calls out to Nalah, "Wanna make your way over here for some healing?" After a short pause, he turns to Kuz'Arak, "Maybe set up one of your medical wards?" He rubs his remaining bruises. "That tree punched hard. For a tree."

Actions

◆ Stride, ◆ Lay on Hands (Drasil)

If we're out of rounds (or in Rd 3), Garion will also offer to Lay Hands on Nalah, before any Treat Wounds activities.

If Kuz'Arak performs some healing, Garion will Refocus while being treated.

Garion | Gnome Sorcerer 9 | AC 24 | HP 99/89 | Per +15 | F:+16, R:+16, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 1/2 | Spells -/4/4/3/3/3

Posted (edited)

B1

This room is decorated with tiny, glowing points of light and scratched carvings of butterflies. Upon a short dais at one end between two hallways are two delicate bare feet apparently carved from stone. Chunks of shattered stone around the dais hint at the fate of the rest of the statue. Nailed to the wall above the dais is the preserved corpse of a hideously ugly gray-skinned horned woman. The wall behind her once bore a written message in flowing script, but it’s been scratched out and replaced by a new phrase.

B2

The centerpiece of this room is a tall statue of a willow tree carved from pale marble. Six oversized roots around the base of the tree resemble stone beds radiating out from the trunk, with just enough room to climb into them beneath the statue’s stone branches. Exits lead out from opposite sides of the room.

Round 2 Kuz'Arak, Kajimara, Drasil, Kyros, and Hamarr May Act

- This is a hazard. You can disable with Athletics or Thievery (expert) 25 to force or lever open a single branch, disabling that branch and freeing any creature trapped within. Thievery DC 29 (expert) to disrupt the tree’s magical animation, shut it down, and free all trapped creatures. One may place a (specific item that you do not yet have) in the indentation as a 2 action interact to shut the hazard down.

* The tree hits Nalah, Grabbing her up. It also clubs Drasil directly on his head, stunning the enraged elf. You're right about the Reposition. I read and rather than or. Thank you for being so gracious.

* Nalah smoothly extricates herself from the tree's grip. As she withdraws, it punishes her by hitting her from behind.

* Hamarr brunts the force of the branch that hits Kajimara then Nalah. The tree attacks him as he backs away to give a blessing to Garion.

* Kyros tries to put a stop to the tree's swinging branches and fails. However, he must have brushed up against just the right thing as he pulls his hands away, as the tree becomes inert.

Be aware, it is possible for the tree to reanimate.

Kajimara continues to attack the tree.

She snaps insults at it in Goblin

"I wouldn't even fetch you!"

"When I'm done, I'm gonna wee and poo on you!"

"You stupid stupid dumb tree!"

*** END OF COMBAT ***

Kyros needs to make a Diplomacy 24 or Nature 28 to gain control of her as she furiously bites and scratches at the tree. Do you speak goblin? If not, you get a -4 penalty.

You need to make this check once a day for 10 days before she can be considered 'trained'. I'll try to have you do so at times like this for story. Also, at least at first, you can't be aided in this role. She has to come to respect you (at 7 successes). That -4 non-goblin penalty is because she pretends to not understand you. It goes down by 1 for every two successes. Crits count as 2 successes and crit fail subtract 1. Please remind me.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Kuz'Arak 98/98 HP 2/3 AP;
Kajimara 83/96 HP;
Drasil 31/102 HP 3/3 AP;
Kyros 833/123 HP 3/3 AP; Darkvision, Low-Light Vision; Resist Fire 10
Garion 71/89 HP 3/3 AP; False Life; Grabbed, Restrained
Hamarr- 85/154 HP 1/3 AP;

Nalah- 43/136 HP 1/3 AP; Darkvision; Grabbed

Edited by Dax Thura (see edit history)
Name
Tree Branch v Hamarr; Bludgeoning
43; 25
1d20+26;2d10+12 [17]; [17,5,8]

spacer.png

As the warg goes crazy on the tree it becomes clear that Kyros hasn't just been avoiding Bul'ro and his sister, he's actively afraid of the big wolves. The tiefling never had good experiences with animals back on the ranch, and has maintained a cautious distance from the warg pups, never sure whether to treat them as particularly violent children or overly clever monsters.

Swallowing back his fear, he calls out "Whoa there Miss Kajimara! No need to keep fighting. Tree's gone asleep now. It's, ah, more tree like. Less womping, more holding still, so to speak."

Diplomacy

(-4 for not speaking Goblin already applied)

Hero Point reroll

Diplomacy

Kyros | Swashbuckler 9 | AC 27, Fire Resistance 5 | HP 123 | Percep +14 | F +14 R +19 W +14 | SPD 30 ft. (45 w/ panache) | Focus 1/1

Edited by Belabras (see edit history)
Name
Diplomacy
1d20+10 7
Diplomacy
1d20+10 11

Nalah2.png.bf246e89e1139ef796c74ea63801bb9f.png

As the fight settles down, Nalah comes back to the room with the tree. She answers to Garion: "I can take care of my wounds, use your healing on the others."

And to prove her words she lay her hands on her chest and calls the power of her deity to close her wounds.

She turns to Kajimara and tells it:

Speak Goblin?

The tree's dead now, you can stop attacking it.

Looking at the tree, she wonders if it's that dead... "Kyro, do you think the tree can wake up again? Because if it's the case, I'd prefer to solve the problem with a saw, I don't want anyone to get hurt."

Nalah

Edited by SuperBidi (see edit history)

spacer.png

When his weapon bounces off the tree, and Drasil is stuck in the skull in response, he visibly seethes at not being able to help Garion, His smile stretching into a toothly scowl. Even still, he backs off with the Bravos when Garion is free.

Dimly he is aware of a commotion with Kajimara, but the whack to his skull leaves him disoriented. He finds a wall to lean against, so that he might remain upright.

Drasil | Elf Fighter 9 | AC 28(26 while raging with weapon)(27 without oversized weapon) | HP 31/114 | Percep +15 (+17 init) | Speed 35' |

aYIylDr.png

Hamàrr asks Garion, "I have to know, who was better?"

He take's 6 seconds to whack his shield true (assurance), then looks around to see who is the party's medic.

Given the chance, he'll refocus by knocking the dents out of his armor from that tree branch.

Hamàrr | Dwarf Champion 9 | AC 30 | HP 85/154 | Shield 120/120 | Per +13 | F:+20, R:+14, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 0/1

spacer.png

When Nalah declines Garion's healing, he turns to Drasil beside him, "How about a second helping, my friend?" Garion reaches up to touch the tall elf again.

Drasil heals 30hp. Cost: 1 focus point.

Note: Garion performs 2 LoH's on Drasil, for a total of 60hp recovered.

Garion laughs at Hamaar's question, and grins, "Ahh, my new friend. A gentleman never tells." The gnome adds, "But if it's any consolation, you're much better looking. But if that gets back to him, I'll deny it!"

Before the group leaves the room, and since Garion is near the base of the tree, he examines the stone beds beneath it.

After the group moves back to the safety of the former shrine, Garion informs the newcomers (as if reading Hamaar's mind), "Wise Kuz'Arak typically handles both magical and non-magical healing." Still injured, Garion looks expectantly to the druid. While being tended to in Desna's not-so-desecrated shrine, Garion prays and refocuses.

Garion | Gnome Sorcerer 9 | AC 24 | HP 71/89 | Per +15 | F:+16, R:+16, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 0/2 | Spells -/4/4/3/3/3

Can I assume we take the time to heal to full?

Once fully healed, Nalah will, once again, take a peek at the other room, staying as stealthy as possible.

Stealth (Greater Cover)

Nalah

Name
Stealth (Greater Cover)
1d20+23 14

spacer.png

Feeling the Cool light rush through him, Drasil straightens up, the fog in his mind clearing.

He smiles thankfully and nods to his short friend.

He watches the other... gnome, Nalah as they scurry about. Come to think of it, he isn't sure they were a Gnome at all. They weren't nearly as short as Garion now he looked closely, they just walked with a hunch. He had just assumed based on their unique appearance and their "shorter than elves" stature. Gnomes always look so unique amongst the other ancesteries. Now he stripped away that misconception, it was obvious how wrong he was.

He resolved to think on this more, since asking "what are you?" felt improper.

Drasil | Elf Fighter 9 | AC 28(26 while raging with weapon)(27 without oversized weapon) | HP 114/114 +11 temp| Percep +15 (+17 init) | Speed 35' |

Kyros Kuz"Arak needs to make a Diplomacy 24 or Nature 28 to gain control of her as she furiously bites and scratches at the tree. Do you speak goblin? If not, you get a -4 penalty.

You need to make this check once a day for 10 days before she can be considered 'trained'. I'll try to have you do so at times like this for story. Also, at least at first, you can't be aided in this role. She has to come to respect you (at 7 successes). That -4 non-goblin penalty is because she pretends to not understand you. It goes down by 1 for every two successes. Crits count as 2 successes and crit fail subtract 1. Please remind me.

B2

The centerpiece of this room is a tall statue of a willow tree carved from pale marble. Six oversized roots around the base of the tree resemble stone beds radiating out from the trunk, with just enough room to climb into them beneath the statue’s stone branches. Exits lead out from opposite sides of the room.

Religion 26; Desnan +4

One can rest here in the hopes of having prophetic dreams. The indentation could hold a dreamstone. A dreamstone is a magical item that allows you to fall asleep easier and to require less sleep for full effect.

Do you wish to take the time to heal up?

The tree will reset once everyone has left the room.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Kuz'Arak 98/98 HP 2/3 AP;
Kajimara 83/96 HP;
Drasil 91/102 HP 3/3 AP;
Kyros 833/123 HP 3/3 AP; Darkvision, Low-Light Vision; Resist Fire 10
Garion 71/89 HP 3/3 AP; False Life; Grabbed, Restrained
Hamarr- 85/154 HP 1/3 AP;

Nalah- 43/136 HP 1/3 AP; Darkvision; Grabbed

(I do wish to take the time to heal up before continuing, but far away from the dangerous tree)

Religion

Nalah understands the role of the room, but she's now wary of other traps. So she spends a bit of time looking around and analyzing the tree to determine if this one's also cursed (who knows...).

As she decides to get back to the party, she realizes Drasil is staring at her. She doesn't feel at ease and starts shuffling her feet while stating: "I think I've understood the point of these... well, roots, or beds and tree, whatever. It's useful for prophetic dreaming. If you're a follower of Desna... You are? Or not, anyway. It can be interesting, but I don't know if the place is still blessed with the goddess powers. Also, it'd be better if we had one of these sacred items to dream, dreamstone I think they are called. Anyway..."

And she quickly moves away from the elf to get... somewhere else.

Nalah

Name
Religion
1d20+16 14

spacer.png

Kyros is in no hurry to get close to the tree again. Hearing Nalah he asks "What about that stone on the hag's necklace. Was that a dreamstone thing?"