Moving Jitters

RobBadener

1 hour ago, RobBadener said:

I've been running a fast paced (weekly number of posts) Traveller campaign for @ six years now, and the prospect of moving all that campaign background and info over to the new site is daunting. Any recommended shortcuts or helps?

If it's not a lot of posts, just copy-pasting over to the new site should not be too troubling. I've already done it for my longer-running games. The BBCode button can also help.

If it's a lot of posts, that can be quite painstaking, so either link to the original site, or download threads as PDFs and upload them here (or on a cloud service like Dropbox, with links posted in Baldr).

I've done a stupid thing in the early days of Baldr and copy-pasted something like 300-400 posts manually from OGMW. I do not recommend!

2 hours ago, Vladim said:

If it's not a lot of posts, just copy-pasting over to the new site should not be too troubling. I've already done it for my longer-running games. The BBCode button can also help.

If it's a lot of posts, that can be quite painstaking, so either link to the original site, or download threads as PDFs and upload them here (or on a cloud service like Dropbox, with links posted in Baldr).

I've done a stupid thing in the early days of Baldr and copy-pasted something like 300-400 posts manually from OGMW. I do not recommend!

things like houserules, world information and the like I would copy paste over. IC threads I would download (it's a txt file I believe), transform into a pdf and upload somewhere. OOC threads I would just ignore and not transfer over at all.

2 hours ago, Suzuki Stumpy said:

Rob, as long as OGMW remains available, you might just want to consider putting a link back to the forum from the new game forum in Baldr when you do eventually decide to make the jump.

This is a good suggestion. OGMW is going to remain up "forever", in read-only mode, even after new content is stopped. Additionally, being able to port content is still something I want to try to work, so don't put a lot of manual effort into doing it right away.

A large part of what intimidates me is that I am a technological dinosaur and very computer illiterate. (And working off my smart phone only) I border on being a Luddite. "Download as a txt file and convert to a pdf" is near enough to speaking Old Anglo-Saxon to me: I I newsstand some of the words, but don't really know what they mean when put together.

That's why I espouse leaving things on OGMW as they are, and hyperlinking to them, until we have a better solution for mass copy. The BBcode translator block gives me some avenues for exploration of solutions, but they're on the back burner until we're through the transition.