Ch. 1 The long way home

wrathgon

He doesn't even seem to be listening to your answers muttering to himself. Theo once again "If I may ask what powers your ships?"

That brings him out of his trance and he stands up. "YOU ARE TO SPEAK WHEN SPOKEN TO! Know your place godling!"

Anyone that has spent any time with Capt knows when he himself if on his last patience and he is there but stays quiet. " No, you will not do at all...."  He stands " "Bring the rest of your mortals, we will have a grand feast to celebrate visitors from elsewhere coming to our little corner of the Galaxy. "

"Thank you but" when the god turns to look at the but Theo finishes when something else. " of course we will return to with them give us an hour to prepare proper dress and offering."

"Yes Yes one of your crew should be offered up to bring good luck to your travels!" says the god without noticing the reaction from us.

We get back to the ship safely and Capt calls a meeting to tell the crew what is going on.

Edited by wrathgon (see edit history)

JakeRoberts.jpg.99e6f4f8016909a4c3dcdd085f937ebf.jpgJake just shakes his head as he watches Zora leave. He really hoped she knew what she was doing. While he was not sure that this particular mission was going to go to hell. He did know that it would not go to hell because he was not prepared. He heads to his quarters and grabs his sword, strapping it on his back. He then grabs his Sniper rifle and tries to find a place on the ship that would offer him tactical advantage if he needed to protect the others if they were coming back hot.

That's when he saw the others coming back. He meets them on the ramp. "So what's the plan Old Man?"

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+15 1

Jake gives a look as he updates what is expected of them as well as giving up a crewmember part. "Someone needs to research what these people will take instead of a blood sacrifice. Is Zora back yet?"

You hear her before you see her. " These short buggers are fast and observant" She sounds out of breath.

"Well?" Capt asks.

"Not good boss, I found the engine room, the artifact is not small it's about a 10x10 flat plane and they build the ship around it, I don't see a way to remove it. The only way to blow the ship up and pick it up in the rubble."

"Yea well the problem with gods and their portfolio is they get to know when something is coming years in advance, so any attack or war the multiple Greater Gods will get wind of it before we even start to plan for it. So we can't use that as an option. We may have to come back later when I plan can be made. Let's get through this party and get out of here, did you find out how they are copying it?"

She holds up a holy book "Seems like it was made to be copied. Based on the pics in here the god gave it to the people, who used to destroy all their enemies on Earth and then build this massive ships to reach the stars. Each power source is a copy of the first found. From the pictures the whole society has to band together to make one though, it's not a fast or easy task. The gods themselves lead the people when they are made. "

"Good work, so everyone gets their best dress on, again try to not be bustling with weapons, the only real danger is the god, and your toys won't help if he wants to hurt you. Your rooms on the ship are open, you can use the replicators to create whatever clothes you want. For security, none of your future self stuff is in there, don't want you getting a hint of things to come. "

"As all the rooms are empty just pick one of the cabins, there is 4 down the hall on this floor, and the rest of them are down 1 floor. THe wondering Soul is also still here but few go into that now we have this ship. It's all locked up and its powering this ship ATM.

Edited by wrathgon (see edit history)

reface-2023-08-18-07-42-58.jpg.0ac654013d6ea49cd1c053b63c97a2f5.jpg
Jake quirks an eyebrow at the mention of a human sacrifice. "That is a definite no from me, If I am not going to let you kill me, why would I let some strange god I don't know do it."

He chuckles as he hears Zora speak. "You know, you should really wear a bell, you are going to scare someone."

He finds the room that has all of his stuff, and takes a quick sonic shower. Then he gets ready, dressing much more fancy than the crew is used to seeing him dress. While he does not wear most of his weapons he does wear his sword, from what the others said these folks carried swords so should not look too out of place and he replicates some things to dress it up so it looked more ceremonial in nature. Sure he had no real defense against a god, but he was not going to go completely defenseless. With a little bit of time to spare he pulls up his computer and begins to research cultures with human sacrifice, to see if he could find any loopholes.

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)
Name
Culture
1d20+16 19

Farhvan.jpg.9e42a5d6cd2208109482a6f84ff41a25.jpgFarhvan seemed less than amused at the prospect of having dinner with the local god but there wasn't much of a choice. 'Sacrifices" aside, he didn't see mucking around with these folks as a great idea, especially since they were likely to just hand over the shard they needed. He did have a few questions though."Good work on the clando work, Kara. But if all of these are copies do we need to get the original or would some form of copy work?" he glanced at the captain, "Furthermore, I know that tech is out but would more obvious displays of non-tech power help us here? I can make my biotic aura pretty obvious but I don't know if that would hurt or help with these people." Obviously the "god" wasn't going to respect them whatever they did but a decent 'supernatural' display might raise the groups stature. "Still we might be able to offer some gift of medical techniques or something similar. Obviously we wouldn't be able to get too fancy but it might be a suitably grand gift. "

Once his questions were answered and they broke to prepare, Farhvan went with formal wear typical from his home gal. As much as it pained him to leave his armor behind, he had to admit it would be gauche to eat in armor. Still with his biotics and his omni-tool available he'd be to hold his own against the natives should they prove testy. Not counting the "god" of course.

Formal wear

Formal attire

OOC/Mechanics

Enoch does not like most social situations, so he dresses in a drab, but appropriate suit. He looks like a budget funeral director. He's also clearly uncomfortable without his techno-gizmos and is fidgeting constantly.

image.jpeg.27e1aff29e4515ecb61ad816a9a12408.jpeg

So doing some research on sacrificing the only other thing that is acceptable is a boatload of gold. Based on Theo's estimation it would take the value of 750k credits to equal the sacrifice.

"I only know one person that has that much gold....." he looks at Enoch. @evedgebah "You have still not spent the gold you bought back on the station, Everywhere we have gone gold has been a worthless metal. You were the only one who didn't blow your load on pointless upgrades now that may have saved one of you from being given up to this god. "

Enoch laughs. "What worth is but a pound of flesh? I'm sure there's some famous poet or book with a line about that. I understand the importance as well as the value of our flesh and blood assets."

And he won't accept one of our undead minions? Didn't you have some ghouls from that ship with dark helmet guy?

Or could you bring one of us back after being sacrificed? Or make a clone?"

Enoch tries to come up with alternatives.

"while I do not doubt I could bring you back, once you are given up and killed to a god, they would have to release your soul and that would be even worse than not giving it up. We can try to come up with some trickery but we risk angering the god, and these people are not the kind to take am sorry kindly. Clones needs a soul to return to "

"Clone one of us, snag one of their peons, take their soul and shove it in the clone?" Enoch suggests.

He waits for the inevitable negative response, frowning as it assuredly comes.

"I expect that this tribute is remembered as we move on and is considered an investment I shall reap returns on."

Farhvan.jpg.9e42a5d6cd2208109482a6f84ff41a25.jpgFarhvan quirked an eyebrow."Ah yes, "pointless" upgrades like modern sensors and biolab for your skeeva. How shortsighted of us. " His general disdain at the comment was evident. "Still, if precious materials are on the table, I did buy a few uni's of Eezo for demonstration purposes. Admittedly it's not a lot, but the novelty might enhance it's value in the eyes of these primitives. Of course, with this level of tech they probably won't be able to do more than generate a basic mass effect field via channeling lightning through it or something." He shrugged, "It's not technically as valuable as the amount of gold you described, but it might be valued as a rare substance of power, without being technological."

Formal wear

Formal attire

OOC/Mechanics

Farhvan has 4 units of Eezo ( the amount a "unit" of element zero entails but I imagine it's not that much. Due to price multipliers each unit was worth 5,000 each on the station (1,000 x5 for mass effect source). It's mostly inert but passing electricity through eezo either raises (positive current) or lowers (negative current) apparent mass.