Chapter 1.5: Honey Well

igordragonian12

"The way of the wolf is to adapt," Brixie says, "That's how I am still alive."

She looks back to the town. "Well, killing this captain is not easy. He is definitely not weak. We should go meet him." Brixie starts walking back to the town. She doesn't know where Ripley is, so she'll just head towards the smoke?

Slithers is surprised a hare has a name he would have expected from a cat.

” I’m a vagabond, my name is not important. As for the injured, I stumbled across him and a few others by chance and Miss Rikki kindness and politeness convinced me to help her… save… him.”

He is struggling to breathe after this speech for a bit so he doesn’t talk after that. As they arrive, Slithers declares: “ Miss Rikki, you and your mangoose friend help the good doctor. I’ll stand guard to make sure you guys stay safe!”

(This way, he stay true to his promise to the hare doctor. And it will justify the failed attempt to save the poor otter)

Ripley sighs, slumping a little. "Aye, that be what caused the fire. Me latest invention be...a little unstable," he admits, "But it be quite...effective." He gestures to the crowd. "So, if we need t' break Brixie free...well, give me a few minutes an' I'll see how many I can kill in one go again..."

"The otter what loaned me the saltpeter," he says with a shrug, "Used a biiiiit too much th' first time. He...was caught in th' blast."

"The cost was heavy, but you did free the clearing one overlord. I would be curious to see your invention. It seems powerful."

"Ah," She says a bit more reserved. "How can we help them?"

She shakes her head, "Brixie is fine. The wolf clan should be trying to join your ship as crew. They want riches and freedom, both you can offer them."

She says, "We'll have to pick up the bank note containing the rest of our treasures before we leave the clearing for good. After the Thumpers get what they need."

Ripley gets a -1 with the Riverfolk.

Slithers-

Doctor Feline Fine had tried his best, but his efforts were not enough.

After twenty minutes of work he checks one final time the otter's pulse and shake his head.

"It seems you have called me.. a bit too late." he said quitly.

A heavy silence feels the air for a moment.

In short time the rest of his refuge group will arrive.

Hoop&Ripley&Brixie-

Brixie meet Ripley and Hoop as she lead the Shackle Breaker Clan alongside Almosded

They look at Ripley and Hoop, seems to be prepared to attack

Slithers sigh heavily. He shake his head. " Such a shame. Thank you doctor, I'm sure you did all you could. As promised, I'll protect you while we go back to your wagon. We need to find our fox acquaintance and tell him he doesn't need to find a doctor anymore."

Edited by Emmerlaus (see edit history)

"Nay," Ripley says glumly, "Well, yes and no. It has been..." He stretches a bit and groans, working out the kink in his back where mere luck prevented him from being stabbed. Again. "...fiery."

Brixie looks up at the pillars of smoke rising into the dark sky. "Well I do think we should be someplace else then. Oh, this wolfpack is considering joining your crew. Almosded and the others would like to seek fortune and glory under your banner."

Slithers

Doctor Feline sigh.

"If only I had more warm banadages and alchol... So I guess there no point for asking for a tip. Eh?"

Sandukan looks angry.

"You have failed your job AND want payment? Back at the Ivory Valley you would have been punished!" he hiss.

Doctor Feline frown.

"First thing- I am doctor. Not a magical great dragon. Second- he was a slaver, so I dont feel TOO sorry for him.

Sandukan growl and pick the dead body over his shoulders.

"You are in luck I have more urgent duties then hurting you!'

Dr. Feline isnt looking pleased.

Rikitkitivi

"Please excuse my comrade in arms, this is very tense for us.' and add a bow.

So the group start the slow walk back- but in ten minutes or so, they meet again the wagon with the refuges.

Ripley&Hoop&Brixie

The wolves glare Ripley up and down.

a large female dark grey wolf, with fierce claws with metal gloves point at Ripley.

"You have killed mah mate!"

And on parallel a pair of wolves- a black female wolf with a white pattern on her face which remind of a skull and a brown rotund one dragging by the chains... a bear(!)

But.. he seems actually shorter then then expected if to judge by the tales about bears- he is barely taller by head from Brixie.

He look wide eyed and scared.

Almosded.

"Our biggest trophey so far!"

Slithers snark to the doctor: " You fullfilled the Hippocratic Oath you swore on, which in legends, is named after the benevolent hippos that brought the original teaching of medicine into the Woodlands. A life is a life and I assure you that otter was morally better than you give it credit for. If you want a tip, you'll need to ask his now widow who happens to be in Honeywells, the place you are fleeing AND the place that is probably going to be razed to the ground by bandits. And announce her you couldn't save her husband. Is it all worth it to you? "

No, of course it wasn't.

He bring back the doctor to his caravan: " This fullfill my duties to you. I wish you safety and good luck on your travel. You'll need it as those roads are filled with bandits. Luckily for you, they are probably razing Honeywells now, leaving you guys some time. Farewell! "

To his group, in a more hushed tone: " Let's find that fox. If his background is what I think it is, he is probably filling his pockets somewhere. We can start looking at the places with the most valuables that aren't in flames. "

Edit: (I know I'm creating lore a bit, for the part about the Hippocratic Oath (which is the name of the real oath doctors have to take). I just thought it was hilarious and showing Slithers scholar background but I can remove that part if needed LOL)

Edited by Emmerlaus (see edit history)

12 hours ago, igordragonian12 said:

"You have killed mah mate!"

Brixie, who has no idea when THAT happened, looks to Ripley for context on what is going on with this accusation.

Ripley blinks once. Then he realizes that these are, in fact, the same wolves as attacked him in the forest. That little detail had slipped his notice. Gods of wind and sky, he was tired. But he cannot afford to show weakness. Instead, he flashes them an evil grin. "Aye," he says in a calm voice, but one that dances upon the edge of a knife, "An' I gave him fair warnin' too. An' a chance t' back down. An' a chance t' join me instead. But nay. He decided that it would be more 'fun' t' fight a wounded fox. But that was his last mistake."

He spreads his arms wide, gesturing to the city around them, though he keeps one hand on the haft of his weapon. "Look around ye! Hear th' chaos? Th' confusion? Th' panic? Hmm? Drink it in, mates. Get a good fill. The cats tried t' stop me too. An' now Captain Viscount Cattenberg lies dead by me own paw." He laughs madly. "Ye see mates, those who get in me way have a nasty habit o' winding up dead. So, decision time."

He slams the butt of his polearm into the ground for emphasis. "Do ye wish t' get in me way? Again? And see how many more o' ye wind up dead? Or, do ye want t' get behind me..." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a key. "An' see where this fancy little key I looted off o' the Viscount goes?"