Clone button worked.... times 7

prophane

The first time it happened i just cancelled the post and tried again. Then it did it again with even more post copies.

I published the post to see if it would actually do it and it did. Then I just edited it and deleted most everything except what I needed.

Nothing devastating or difficult here but clearly not working the way it should. I've used the clone button many many times before without issue. Just thought I should make a note of this glitch in the matrix

37 minutes ago, prophane said:

The first time it happened i just cancelled the post and tried again. Then it did it again with even more post copies.

I published the post to see if it would actually do it and it did. Then I just edited it and deleted most everything except what I needed.

Nothing devastating or difficult here but clearly not working the way it should. I've used the clone button many many times before without issue. Just thought I should make a note of this glitch in the matrix

Cloning a post puts it into the session's memory, from my limited knowledge of the back-end system. This means canceling a post does nothing because it's still in your session. If you clone, all it's doing is adding the source HTML to whatever you've currently got going in the post you're editing, then your browser remembers what was in that box.

This isn't technically a bug, as I understand it. However, it's not an intuitive use of the function.

I propose that when you hit clone, it deletes anything in the target post area, then pastes the new stuff you're trying to clone. Then you don't end up with multiple clones.

Okay, I did a little testing, which I should've done first.

Turns out if you clone a post, then hit clone again, it copies whatever is in the new post and adds it a second time, then adds in the new post. I just tested it out and the clones go:

Times I press Clone:

1. a single clone
  2. 2 copies of #1 plus an extra (3 total)
  3. 2 copies of #2 plus an extra (7 total)
  4. 2 copies of #3 plus an extra (15 total)
  5. etc...

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/8142-chapter-6-pillars-of-ruin-continued/&do=findComment&comment=114943

This was the cloned post, on surveying the thread again, the extra post was actually two posts below, this post

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/8142-chapter-6-pillars-of-ruin-continued/&do=findComment&comment=115143

Both posts were copied multiple times.

So, the resolution to this was coincident with changing the Clone button to always go to the editor buffer, required to fix Clone's mobile functionality in iOS. As a result, the content hits the buffer exactly once, and clicking the Clone button in the editor pastes the cloned content exactly once.