The plan for the NEW ship

wrathgon

1 hour ago, darlis moonbeam said:

If you are going towards a new ship then it would be 10d6 MCr. If going towards paying of the debt of a ship we already have then it's just 10MCr. So it does make sense to put it towards a new ship as it would have more value.

only if you got enough shares, you cant get a loan with shares so you need enough to outright buy a ship.

sooo i misread the ship entry, what is says is you get a new ship with a 40 year loan then each roll that gives you ship again drops off 10 years making it a 10 year older ship

so it takes 5 rolls of ship to get it clear means most of us have 10 year loan left

ok, i need the group's input on how we want the ship design to go. The actual designing part planning it etc based on a few choices I have will either make it impossible for 1 person to design the whole thing (so the DC for ships starting at Large say for SF would be over DC 80) or make it so with a few people aid other rolls could hit those DC for big ships like the star destroyer in Star Wars.

As this will be for everyone not only PCs he has to be uniform even if you don't expect to design a capital ship for others in the game as NPC might.

Realistically I am lending for a lead of designers to work together to get this done so the DC 80 would be where I am going but wanted some input for you guys and thoughts on why we should do it either way.

So right now I got the check as follows

You can design a Starship from scratch. Doing so takes a minimum of 30 days and a DC 25 Engineering check, Then you add 1 to DC and 1 month for every 10 starship hit points (D20 and traveler divided by 10, another system ask DM)  Next, the DC is modified by the size Huge +1, Gargantuan +3, and Colossal +5. Once you get past Colossal you add another +5 to base +5 every size category over normal Colossal. EG in Star Wars Frigate, Cruiser, and Station exist and would be +10, +15, and +20 to DC.

now for SF ships, it works the biggest one has 400 HP so that +40 but looking at d20 8000 HP which works out to be 800 HP for ship weapons in any other system with would be +80 and that is not adding in for getting setting design if trying to work in a setting you are not from. Traveler it works until you get to capital ships which go up to 1 m tons so they would need different rules as no one going to be making that DC lol

So really want I am asking do you think as a starship designer you should be able to with a few buddies design a ship like the star destroyer in star wars or would be more realistic to expect a team of designs to do something of that level.

Edited by wrathgon (see edit history)

I think for smaller ones it would make sense to have just one person, or even a few people work on it, however when you get to those massive ones with several complex systems attached to it, it would make more sense to have like a lead designer with a team that is working on it and they delegate to different groups to work on different parts of it. That would be more realistic. I look at it from the perspective of my own job in cyber security. While I personally will design a security system for the operating system I am responsible for, if I need that security to work properly across multiple platforms then I need to work with other groups and we collaborate with an overarching project manager/scrum master coordinating the work.

What Knowledge would that be Knowledge:Engineering? as i will have to take that in order to assist in any such rolls..

That being said..i think on techniquality Kartesh's power isn't an actual aid another, but it acts like an aid another, so in a way i am like a 5th person that can aid. IMO.

10 hours ago, wrathgon said:

So really want I am asking do you think as a starship designer you should be able to with a few buddies design a ship like the star destroyer in star wars or would be more realistic to expect a team of designs to do something of that level.

So from a purely design standpoint I could see a single person actually making the blueprints if they have the requisite knowledge. The limiting principle is generally physical/ monetary limitations rather than purely being too complex to design. Hell didn't 1 guy basically design the Death Star? For some reference mundanely climbing a perfectly smooth vertical surface is a DC 70 climb check in 3.5 and literally walking on water (through skill alone and not magic) is a DC 90 Balance check. So for some perspective should designing a massive ship be as hard/harder than literally doing physically impossible things through skill alone? I think you might be getting a bit too harsh on difficulty here unless the design process also covers buying the ship? I think limiting the number of people who can use Aid Another is a good idea though.

I think you would find it's like one person may have the design concept. and the rest were his/her research team.

As for Kreddick i think his name was.. yes he was the main designer and hence he installed the flaw in the death star..

Which if you think about was kind of smart move,because who in his research team would ,doubt the Research heads plans, and say um boss! is this meant to be here..

especially with the deadlines ,you see in Andor etc.. for it's construction.. no one would be game to hold up the process...

So in game mechanics it would just be like a Lead Designer does his skill check..(probably the best skilled in it to lead) and everyone that can..as i said 4 possibly 5 can then add to that in a aid another check...

So which guidelines of ship construction are we using? D20,Starfinder,Star Wars? because each would have their own distinct things.. like number of ship slots

and see i think that could be an issue as well as each ship would have to comply with that, before joining to the main ship and what rules then apply...