OOC Chat & Questions

Pittance

Rad! I figured it would come down to whether or not you wanted the mist to be a surprise the players would have to overcome or something they could prepare for. Either way, if I guessed wrong, it'd be easy to just say that part of this pre-game is non-canon. :)

I am super new to 5e, I hope that won't be an issue, but I love Baldur's gate 3 so far and it has given me the want to try it.

Also, the dice gods must want me here... My Rolls are... Yeah...

17, 15, 15, 15, 14, 13...

Unless I did that wrong too, but when I look it does seem it dropped the lowest only.

Also, Hello Everyone!

3 minutes ago, FelixFaust said:

so If I put my 17 in Cha, and as a Half elf I get +2, I can start with a 19 Cha right?

Sorry for being stupid.

Yes, you got it right! With a stat of 20 being the highest, a 19 is fantastic especially at level 1.

8 minutes ago, FelixFaust said:

so If I put my 17 in Cha, and as a Half elf I get +2, I can start with a 19 Cha right?

Sorry for being stupid.

I second Shadeus. And to add on - you're not stupid, you're learning! And there's nothing wrong with that. Asking questions is good ☺️

Thanks for the kind words all. I am happy to be here!

I am thinking that I don't know the rules well enough to be a sorcerer, so I am thinking of going a maybe a kind of fighter/caster Eldritch Knight class. Any way I can change the title of my application?

Also if I take Noble, and the Variant Noble: Knight would my retainers have also come over through the fog? Would I need some basic character sheets for them?

Click this little icon on the first post in your topic and select "Edit".

image.png.e424b3327bf5516d170364393e6b164d.png

This allows you to edit the content of your post, including the name of your topic, if you want.

image.png.ba5b650acf87d165f6d42c084de2a846.png

Scroll to the bottom and click "Save Changes" when you're done.
image.png.78e84c9ab1ea43124625911794cb721e.png

As for your second question, I'm also using that background, and as far as I can tell we're allowed to say our retainers came with us. I was planning on just making simple descriptions for them since the rulebook says they try to stay out of combat as much as possible.

Edited by Cloudy Summers (see edit history)

3 hours ago, FelixFaust said:

Sorry for being stupid.

Absolutely. Then you take your first ASI and make that 20 cha.

Or if it was me i'd take a half feat like Shadow Touched or Fey Touched. Take the +1 cha AND get extra spells. Or maybe Skill Expert. Take a +1 Cha, gain a skill, and gain expertise in another skill, tons of options.

Having three 15s is amazing but also kinda awkward because of the odd numbers so i'd also be tempted to take the ASI and put +1 in dex and +1 in con so you could have 19 cha, 16 dex and 16 con. Lots of good options for you right now.

If you don't want to play a sorc - i actually think wizards are the easiest spellcasters to start with because they have more options and more ways to offset any mistakes.

For Eldritch Knight i would go 17/13/15/15/15/14. Then you can get 19/13/15/16/15/14 with Custom Lineage (+2 str, +1 Int). Since you'll want to get platemail ASAP you don't need a lot of dex (unless you want to go ranged, then swap dex and wis).

After that you're off. With those stats you can pretty much be anything.

If it were me though i'd start with 17/13/15/15/15/14

Then go Variant Human (+1 to any two stats) - so 18/13/15/16/15/14

Then take Resilient (+1 Dex, plus you are proficient in dex saves now) so it would look like 18/14/15/16/15/14 OR pretty much any other feat if you don't mind odd stats early on (it just bugs me when i do it). Fighters have tons of good feets. Shield master, Sentinal, Polarm master, great weapon master!

1 hour ago, Cloudy Summers said:

No problem. For some reason I haven't had as much trouble with the new look as others have, so I'm always happy to share the wealth, so to speak.

As a heads up, if you use the three dots (the 'meatball menu') you can edit the thread title and do some moderation. If you use the edit button at the bottom of the post you can't. However, the top edit menu (the meatballs) squishes the screen horizontally, while the bottom edit doesn't. This is why i almost always use the bottom one.

Thanks for all the information and help!

I am changing up the build now, going Variant Human with two +1's and a feat at first level. Gunna be a Eldritch knight I think, seems a bit simpler for a new 5e player, no magic until 3rd level.

So, Str 17, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 13

After human adjustments it will be Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 13

Seems like a good idea...

Edited by FelixFaust (see edit history)