The Lady Luck Alehouse

Sorithar

6 hours ago, Chaotic Weevil said:

I’m happy changing baldins heading if it looks like Yohan wants to stick together.

Wouldn't tip the scale any other way. With Finwe and Qwynn going with Kealea, and Dolan and Daltin going with Beldas, as long as Baldin and Yohan stay together, there will be an imbalance. This is however, fine. Kealea was trying to maintain an even split, but as the PCs, do as you see fit. I just wanted to clarify. This is not what's holding things up, that's me.

Things have been busy and I've been hard pressed to make detailed IC posts. Making my game a priority this week, so hopefully get to this regardless of how you end up going!

Just a heads-up, I unexpectedly have to head out of town until about 4/2. I won't have internet access during the day, but I will try to check in at night. Feel free to have Baldin go auto during combat so as not to hold anything up. He will use whatever spells he can to buff others (save his mass lesser vigor for healing) and then combat.

@Chaotic Weevil and Group B, wall of light:

This spell causes a wall of dazzling yellow-white light to come into being at any point within range. The wall is opaque to all other creatures, though you can see through it without difficulty. A wall of light has no physical substance and does not otherwise hinder attacks, movement, or spells passing through it, although it blocks line of sight for other creatures.
A creature that passes through a wall of light becomes dazzled for the duration of the spell. Spell resistance applies when passing through the wall. Sightless creatures and those already dazzled are not affected by passing through a wall of light.

Emphasis mine. Only Baldin (the caster) can see through the wall and any creature passing through it is dazzled, no save, friend or foe. Just FYI.

@Chaotic Weevil Sorry to rain on your parade, but in order for your turning attempt to work the undead have to be able to see you and your holy symbol. They can't see through your wall of light.

Hopefully our benevolent DM will let you change your actions instead of wasting a turn attempt. 😉

5 minutes ago, Draidden said:

@Chaotic Weevil Sorry to rain on your parade, but in order for your turning attempt to work the undead have to be able to see you and your holy symbol. They can't see through your wall of light.

Hopefully our benevolent DM will let you change your actions instead of wasting a turn attempt. 😉

Oh I thought I just needed line of effect not line of sight. If I'm allowed too I'll change it.

3 minutes ago, Chaotic Weevil said:

Oh I thought I just needed line of effect not line of sight. If I'm allowed too I'll change it.

I think it is just line of effect, is the line of sight listed somewhere else? Searching on phone while waiting for an Uber so definitely could be missing it.

IMG_7661.jpeg

Hmm. Maybe I am thinking of a different version. I could of sworn it said they had to be able to see you in order for it to work.

Not the first time I have been wrong. 😉

You must present your holy symbol to turn undead. Turning is considered an attack.

I guess this might be what I was thinking of. I believe I always interpreted that as, "If they can't see your holy symbol, then it has no affect on them." Guess that is up to the DM to interpret.

Yohan doesn't know there are undead... because Baldin never mentioned them, otherwise he could have prepared to turn undead too... that'll be a nasty suprise after walking through the Wall of Light.

We have numerous ranged attackers who cannot target the enemy... vs enemy Dazzle penalty -1 attack.

Time to drop the Wall of Light.

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)

1 hour ago, DarkAngel said:

Yohan doesn't know there are undead... because Baldin never mentioned them, otherwise he could have prepared to turn undead too... that'll be a nasty suprise after walking through the Wall of Light.

We have numerous ranged attackers who cannot target the enemy... vs enemy Dazzle penalty -1 attack.

Time to drop the Wall of Light.

I thought we could use it to buy time for the others to handle their side and join us if needed and the baddies would have to either push through into concentrated fire (with -1 fighting now) or try to take blind pot shots on their end if they wanted to stay behind (since they can’t see either)

if you are actually wanting to charge through the wall I’ll just drop the spell as a bad idea.

@Chaotic Weevil Yeah, especially with a large creature with a breath weapon... vs us in a confined tight formation at point blank.

Yohan not charging as the distance on the map is danger close.

The undead turned may create a bottle neck of cowering ninnies ... unless of course they are vaporized ... or bolstered by a Necromancer !

I imagine Daltin may want to engage in melee combat if the wall is dropped...

maybe there's something else Baldin can cast to concentrate on...?

@Sorithar if the Wall of Light is dropped, do we gain suprise vs the Dragon kin

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)

On 3/28/2024 at 11:57 AM, Chaotic Weevil said:

I think it is just line of effect, is the line of sight listed somewhere else? Searching on phone while waiting for an Uber so definitely could be missing it.

IMG_7661.jpeg

You're both correct. Per RAW, a holy symbol must be presented (I'll add, with conviction) to turn undead in a 60 ft. radius, but the turning character does not need line of sight to the undead to turn them, only line of effect. This prevents invisible undead shenanigans.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:44 PM, DarkAngel said:

@Sorithar if the Wall of Light is dropped, do we gain surprise vs the Dragon kin

No. It knows you're there as you know it is there. Even if it can't see you, it's preparing to.