Character Creation Rules

Sensibleshoes

4 hours ago, crowe9107 said:

So...Chimpanzee Technowizard? Have to sub out stuff like computers, but I think the Steampunk Wierd Science vibe could definately work.

could be something like a Antikythera mechanism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism. The idea of 'Colonial atompunk' is something like 1600-1920s tech mixed together, but everything is powered by 'ethereum' 'ghost electricity' instead of steam combustion engines. Jules Verne 1800s retro futurism a la 20,000 leagues under the sea and similar stuff are good aesthetic touch points.

12 hours ago, Sensibleshoes said:

could be something like a Antikythera mechanism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism. The idea of 'Colonial atompunk' is something like 1600-1920s tech mixed together, but everything is powered by 'ethereum' 'ghost electricity' instead of steam combustion engines. Jules Verne 1800s retro futurism a la 20,000 leagues under the sea and similar stuff are good aesthetic touch points.

Hmm, so maybe some sort of Antikythera/Orrery System with maybe a crude film projector for output...only thing is I would imagine it would be quite large and not easily portable, though the OG antikythera wasn't all that big.

Some ideas for TW Gizmos

---Ghostlight Staff: A wooden staff with a lightbulb in a cage on the end. Works as a focus for light based spells. Daylight, Lantern Light, etc

---Copptertop Lightning Blaster: Exotic Copper rifle like focus that can blast things with electric jolt or on high power, lightning bolt.

---Divining Goggles: Steampunk goggles that act as a focus for sensory spells

---Horseless carriage: PPE driven carriage that looks like it is steam powered.

---Bracer of Protection: Bracer with a large gem that acts as a focus for shield spell, armor of ithan (SDC version), etc

---Ornithopter: 2 man flying machine with open cockpit, bat or dragonfly wings.

---VitaRay Lamp: Green Etherium Lamp that acts as a focus for healing spells.

Let me know if these work or are too far off the mark!

1 hour ago, crowe9107 said:

Hmm, so maybe some sort of Antikythera/Orrery System with maybe a crude film projector for output...only thing is I would imagine it would be quite large and not easily portable, though the OG antikythera wasn't all that big.

Some ideas for TW Gizmos

---Ghostlight Staff: A wooden staff with a lightbulb in a cage on the end. Works as a focus for light based spells. Daylight, Lantern Light, etc

---Copptertop Lightning Blaster: Exotic Copper rifle like focus that can blast things with electric jolt or on high power, lightning bolt.

---Divining Goggles: Steampunk goggles that act as a focus for sensory spells

---Horseless carriage: PPE driven carriage that looks like it is steam powered.

---Bracer of Protection: Bracer with a large gem that acts as a focus for shield spell, armor of ithan (SDC version), etc

---Ornithopter: 2 man flying machine with open cockpit, bat or dragonfly wings.

---VitaRay Lamp: Green Etherium Lamp that acts as a focus for healing spells.

Let me know if these work or are too far off the mark!

those sound good

Silly question, but with possibly important repercussions

when you say that our characters get both a mutated animal RCC and an OCC... does that mean that the RCC includes the background education and skills from AtB, or do they get only the skills and abilities of their OCC?

On 8/31/2023 at 2:42 PM, Sensibleshoes said:

You get all the skills and abilities/Bio-E modifications of both the rcc and occ. Take whichever hp/sdc advancement is higher. If you have overlapping skills from your mutant animal rcc and occ, either pick new ones or you'll receive a bonus for picking the same skill twice (I have rules for this, but we don't need to get into it unless someone actually wants to do that).

I believe it is supposed to be both

20 minutes ago, violentprincess said:

I believe it is supposed to be both

Both -- you take all the skills from the mutant animal, and all the ones for the occ, rcc, superhuman (heroes unlimited) or nightbane chassis. There are rccs that can have character classes in rifts -- this isn't something I'm making up, but there aren't consistent rules about how it works. There are different systems like getting some skills or abilities, but not others, and I don't want to get into that since it will inevitably create corner case rules questions about unusual circumstances that don't match up with whatever the principle is, and this is already a complicated system. I'm trying to make it simple by just adding everything together so you're not trying to figure out what which skills you're getting from which thing. My goal is you just calculate what it would be for the 5th level mutant animal independently, then independently for the occ or whatever, and then just combine those with the additional free secondary skills I'm giving out.

The only other thing I think I forgot to mention is that for hp and sdc, take whichever is higher -- your mutant animal or occ track.

Edited by Sensibleshoes (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Svartalf said:

Thanks, it's a big change to what I had originally envisioned, and makes the characters a lot more flexible.

That's the goal is to be super flexible with the build ideas -- that's why I want to allow occs on top of the mutant animal stuff, because I have ideas for NPCs that are things like hellcats with witch levels, and you can't really do that easily if the mutant animals can't have classes.

How much world building is cool to do in writing a background? Like if I want to Paris and the Sorbonne to be intact enough post-day-of-darkness to have gone there to study is that reasonable? I got kind of a whole idea for the vibe there that I would love to drop into the world if you don't mind. Probably it won't really be super relevant in game but I always like adding cool bits to the backdrop of the world :)

1 minute ago, violentprincess said:

How much world building is cool to do in writing a background? Like if I want to Paris and the Sorbonne to be intact enough post-day-of-darkness to have gone there to study is that reasonable? I got kind of a whole idea for the vibe there that I would love to drop into the world if you don't mind. Probably it won't really be super relevant in game but I always like adding cool bits to the backdrop of the world :)

As much as you want -- I love when players participate in worldbuilding, lay it on as thick as you want -- the idea is it's supposed to be similar enough to Earth to provide names, dates, and places, but different enough you don't have to worry about the exact details -- like who was ruling what princely state of Germany when etc.. The north american analog continent is called "Laurasia" after an ancient continent, and it's similar enough to NA that it has most of the same things, but you can also throw in additional rivers, lakes, states, cities, mountain ranges, island chains etc. as needs may arise. The 'Dominions of New England' have a bunch of imaginary states that are vaguely like the historical ones and stretch into the mid atlantic. There's stuff from the 1800s mixed in. There are characters from eastern areas called things like 'Nippon' "Cathay" and "siam" without a whole lot of worry about the details.

Looks cool, love the Egyptian/Greek weird death vibe...
I've changed my concept a little, and have a better concept in mind, I was a little intimidated by the other builds as I felt that I couldn't complement or get to their level of system knowledge (it's been decades since I last played)