Spooky Season Spooky Movie List

cailano

What are some spooky movies you're looking forward to watching this year, or that you've enjoyed in the past?

There are a couple of new Netflix (I think) shows I'm curious about: The Wonder and the new Haunting of Hill House series (based on the book that effectively invented the modern haunted house story.)

And there are some classics I like to go back to to. This year I'm thinking maybe The Exorcist and Prince of Darkness. Paranormal Activity I enjoy as much for it overachieving on a shoestring budget as I do for it's story.

Alright, you guys go.

Nice! The whole Evil Dead series is a work of genius, IMHO.

Army of Darkness trivia: the princess who turns into a deadite in AoD is played by the same actress as Miss Honey in Matilda. I don't know why that amuses me so much. I watched Matilda with the kids a while back, and I kept wanting to hear Miss Honey say, "You found me beautiful once" as she turned into a monster.

And the vampirism is strong with your list. How did you like Interview with the Vampire?

1 hour ago, pesukarhu said:

A month or two ago, I finally watched Ginger Snaps. I thought that was fun, in a guilty-pleasure sort of way.

And Let the Right One In is always good. :-)

Let the Right One In was a lot of fun. I watched the Swedish version and never saw the American one, so I'm not sure how that was. Great movie, though!

Oh man. I used to hang out in horror movie forums. Even these days, I lurk around a Discord server for horror fans.

Just for the moment, it feels rewarding to point out some titles that don't end up on the Big Lists.

Fun:

• The first two Dark Castle movies "House on Haunted Hill" and "Thir13en Ghosts." feel like roller coaster rides. I'm glad to see them slowly gaining respect.
  • "A Vampire in Brooklyn" with Eddie Murphy felt surprisingly relevant to the first 4 editions of Vampire: the Masquerade. It is an Eddie Murphy comedy movie, though. Expect language.
  • For pure garbage fun / exploitation cinema: "Night of the Demons" (1988). This Haunted House movie is simultaneously trashier and smarter than it should have been.

Some more serious movies that I feel maybe get overshadowed.

• "Lord of Illusions" needs to make this list. The Director's Cut is 100% worth it, too. Clive Barker seems better remembered for Hellraiser and Candyman lately.
  • "May" (2002) is a very uncomfortable but rewarding independent horror film.

I realize that these are all older. There are some newer horror films I absolutely adore. I just wanted to wander off the beaten path for a little bit.

1 hour ago, MrAndrewJ said:

Oh man. I used to hang out in horror movie forums. Even these days, I lurk around a Discord server for horror fans.

Just for the moment, it feels rewarding to point out some titles that don't end up on the Big Lists.

Fun:

• The first two Dark Castle movies "House on Haunted Hill" and "Thir13en Ghosts." feel like roller coaster rides. I'm glad to see them slowly gaining respect.
  • "A Vampire in Brooklyn" with Eddie Murphy felt surprisingly relevant to the first 4 editions of Vampire: the Masquerade. It is an Eddie Murphy comedy movie, though. Expect language.
  • For pure garbage fun / exploitation cinema: "Night of the Demons" (1988). This Haunted House movie is simultaneously trashier and smarter than it should have been.

Some more serious movies that I feel maybe get overshadowed.

• "Lord of Illusions" needs to make this list. The Director's Cut is 100% worth it, too. Clive Barker seems better remembered for Hellraiser and Candyman lately.
  • "May" (2002) is a very uncomfortable but rewarding independent horror film.

I realize that these are all older. There are some newer horror films I absolutely adore. I just wanted to wander off the beaten path for a little bit.

Nice! I haven't seen any of these, although I've been wanting to check out the new version of Haunting of Hill House. Is that the same as House on Haunted Hill?

2 hours ago, cailano said:

Nice! I haven't seen any of these, although I've been wanting to check out the new version of Haunting of Hill House. Is that the same as House on Haunted Hill?

They are different. The 1999 "House on Haunted Hill" movie was a remake of the 1959 Vincent Price film. The remake had Geoffrey Rush, Famke Janssen, Taye Diggs, and really a great all-around cast. In my experience, that remake needs to be heard as much as seen.

It's the 1999 film that I enjoy watching around this time of year.

Edited by MrAndrewJ
Grammar and clarity. (see edit history)

'Tis the season. A few years ago I did a blog series reviewing a horror movie every night of October I called Spooktober. Covered a wide range of horror films, with Crimson Peak coming out on my birthday that year so it got a review in kind.

My horror faves are The Thing (a perfect film), Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hellraiser (honorable mention to Hellbound: H2), The Taking of Deborah Logan, The Last Exorcism, the VVitch, Night of the Living Dead and Day of the Dead (the Romero films), and a healthy dose of folk horror, starting with the OG Wicker Man.