The Second Step

Ruess

Robin Kirkko

egXhMPu.jpg"Heh, I am pretty sure this is just an ordinary fountain fed by a subterranean spring. Someone staying down here long term would need a source of water. I don't think it would hurt to retreat back to goblin warren or even back to the surface. Surely the goblins we killed have clues on their persons about how to navigate this area. We will also need to rest pretty soon."

Description

Robin is a straw haired tomcat. He is tall, strapping, and handsome, with blonde hair carefully tousled for a rakish look, blue eyes, and a strong jaw. He always dresses in clothes that show off his physique. He is, as one would expect of a cleric of Sune, incredibly vain and considers his hair his best feature. His focus on superficial matters might give the impression that he isn't all that bright. One the other hand, be sincerely sees the beauty in other people--whether outer beauty or inner beauty. He carries a shield depicting the face of a beautiful red haired maiden, and has a rosary of glass beads with the same symbol on the end dangling from his belt.

Stat Block

Robin Kirkko
M CG Human Cleric, Level 1, Init 0, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 14, Touch 10, Flat-footed 14, Fort 3, Ref 0, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 0   
  Morning Star  +2 (1d8+2, x2)
  Dagger   (1d4, 19–20/×2)
  Crossbow, light (Bolts (20)) 0 (1d8, 19–20/×2)
  Studded Leather Armor, Light Wooden Shield (+3 Armor, +1 Shield)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14
Condition None

OOC

spacer.png

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Male - Neutral Good - Human Wizard (High Conjurer) / Duskblade

Initiative: +1 

Hit Points: 13/13

Speed: 30

Armour Class: 14

Touch: 11 / Flat-footed: 13,

Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +5

Base Attack Bonus: +1

Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 14

Doallyn had no argument with the idea of heading back to the surface. Checking the goblins they'd left in their path earlier wouldn't be much of a delay.

Assuming nothing is coming after us from where we already were, I'd vote with the back-tracking to finish checking the goblins for anything useful and going back to the surface.

His hand gripped on the pommel of his sword.

If we have the opportunity I'd like to find some better protective armor. Stock up on some spell components as well. I think even with a group effort we're still a bit away from funding a party haversack. It would make these trips easier if we're down here longer and looking to pick up everything we find.

Edited by ArcaneDesperado (see edit history)

pleasent

Saai Vees listens attentively as the group conducts experiments and discusses their findings within the antimagic field. The successful testing of the water's properties relieves the tense situation. However, it's only a tiny comfort amid their many uncertainties.
As her companions brainstorm about mentioning a 'leaf' and its connection to this underground area, she contemplates the possible significance. Her inquisitive nature pushes her to consider the broader context, realizing that they may need to consult someone well-versed in the history of this place to unravel the mystery.
When Kaldakaczil tries to use the hexagonal key to communicate with those on the surface, only to be reminded of the antimagic field's limitations, Saai Vees observes the exchange with interest. The dragon's attempt at communication highlights their determination to seek answers and make the most of their situation.
As the group discusses whether to press onward or retreat, Saai Vees maintains her resolute demeanor. When Robin suggests returning to the surface, she acknowledges the wisdom of rest and resupply. Her eyes scan the chamber's entrances, noting the routes they've yet to explore, and she agrees with the notion of revisiting the goblin lair and recovering potential clues from their adversaries.
"Doallyn makes a good point," she adds, nodding in agreement. "Our safety and preparedness are of paramount importance. We can gather what we need, rest, and then return to navigate these underground depths with more knowledge and resources at our disposal. I not interested in carrying much more, and for water I can always pray for it when we need it."

Robin Kirkko

egXhMPu.jpg"Alright then. Time to bravely retreat back to the surface!" He looks the goblin corpse over against before starting the trip back to the elevator.

Description

Robin is a straw haired tomcat. He is tall, strapping, and handsome, with blonde hair carefully tousled for a rakish look, blue eyes, and a strong jaw. He always dresses in clothes that show off his physique. He is, as one would expect of a cleric of Sune, incredibly vain and considers his hair his best feature. His focus on superficial matters might give the impression that he isn't all that bright. One the other hand, be sincerely sees the beauty in other people--whether outer beauty or inner beauty. He carries a shield depicting the face of a beautiful red haired maiden, and has a rosary of glass beads with the same symbol on the end dangling from his belt.

Stat Block

Robin Kirkko
  Dagger   (1d4, 19–20/×2)
Condition None

OOC

Search Roll incoming

Edited by Chaz Hoosier (see edit history)
Name
Search Gobbo Corpose
1d20+1 19

The Way Back

Your journey back to the surface goes almost without a hitch. Almost.

When you set for the surface, you manage to discover the very trap that you feared so very long. Unfortunately you discover it by setting it off.

One of you steps on on the steps and takes the lead. And that's when one of the four pillars produces a sound you can only describe as wet, liquid earth flowing upwards. And then a white marble statue with an enormous sword emerges into your vision. You don't stick around to say hello or to try to throw down with the statue - you run.

You run until your legs burn and the statue ceases its pursuit. After a a short break to let everyone calm their nerves and catch their breaths you return to the goblin lair. You take your time hauling just about everything from that place, down to the beddings that you estimate to have some value.

The elevator is ready for you, very likely due to your friend Kaldakaczil having reached out to Roy once outside the antimagic field so that the man knows to expect your arrival.

The Surfaceimage.png.05b8037471cd0ed6c060996ff6ce84ac.png

Roy

"Welcome back friends!" Roy declares when you arrive in the . "Good to see you all made it back. I see you found success and profit. Marvelous!"

Yawning Pit welcomes you as seems to be growing into a good habit. You, in turn, take a moment to secure your things for later sales and then see about informing Roy that you have further business in the world below. "Do take care. I will see to your things and their storage until you are finished."

Once that is done you take your time to put your feet up and share your tale of dreads and danger. Your audience consists of several people, each of whom seems like they share your profession to one degree or another.

You can tell that Roy and Rolf pay particularly close attention to the tale you have to weave. It is not a great tale of heroics but it is one where everyone comes home and no one came close to perishing.

The Sales

Much of your haul is general goods that need some effort to make fit for sales, but that is not an obstacle to a group as determined as yours. Your new associates are happy to assist in moving your things in return for a modest share in the profits and as such you meet several people regarding several kinds of goods. Much of it is either general goods, materiels that are worth something, or trinkets of shiny value. The last ones seem to also feature several symbols your clerics can identify as belonging to real deal deities of most unwholesome intent.

Despite your fears, the matter of seeing your many goods turned into coin in hand turns out to be delightfully unsurprising. The goblins from before, whose hides your saved on your first day no less, are happy to purchase all your less than marketable goods... Of which there turns out to be rather plenty of. Just for example, a used mess kit that needs a thorough scrubbing is not something too many merchants will offer good prices for, doubly so when the tint on them tells of a long-term neglect. The same can be said of all the armaments and armors, which double up on their poor condition by reeking.

However! It is all worth something, and your new associates are happy for all the materials you are wililng to part ways with. Given that Chira speaks Goblin and several of you have languages mastered, the matter of sales is an elaborate arrangement from which everyone comes away happy.

The Aftermath

It takes you a full week before all is said and done.

Your goods are sold to persons who paid good coin for them. And my if there wasn't a lot to sell!

Twice, shooting stars paint the night sky above, on consecutive days no less.

Twice, the three moonsAman; cycle is eleven days. [11]
Kirael; cycle is twenty-eight days. [28]
Idwan; cycle is forty-seven days. [47]
shine on the sky, and two of them mirror each other in half-moon state. The gossips and wagging tongues swear a most dire portent has been declareds upon All of Sandpyke. The unrest among the populace that follows helps no one, but it certainly keeps both the City Watch and their mercenary associates deeply busy keeping peace and order.

Each of you comes away from this heavy task with a small hoard of wealth. 253gp, 13sp, 9cp

Sandpyke

Armour Chapel*The* southmost ward of the city. Several City Watch officers live here.

AdrielFifth weekday, 32th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total.

Early morning

Yawning Pit Entrance (Or was it Yawning Abyss? Yawning Hole?)

BigBiz2.jpg.c8cf587f5212bdd9996f45d0e9c76236.jpg

A new day dawns. You have rested. You may or may not have fortunes still left from investments. The sun warms your back.

You have business at Yawning Pit. You see your associates gathering here as well, either indoors or on the front yard. A familiar noise of productivity comes to your ears from a now-familiar goblin smithy on wheels that resides a stone's throw from the tavern.

Edited by Ruess (see edit history)

spacer.png

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Male - Neutral Good - Human Wizard (High Conjurer) / Duskblade

Initiative: +1 

Hit Points: 13/13

Speed: 30

Armour Class: 14

Touch: 11 / Flat-footed: 13,

Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +5

Base Attack Bonus: +1

Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 14

Doallyn being the ever planning tactician left with a week of time on his hand could be a dangerous thing. If he had more gold on hand, he would probably have about twenty irons in the fire for various investments. If left with a few months to get a full understanding of the city’s inner workings and people he’d be working on owning half the city.  He had other things to focus on however.  

The first order of business was finding some added muscle.  Not for fighting but for playing the part of pack-mule in a manner of speaking. A bag of holding or haversack would have been more practical, but wasnt affordable at this stage of things with his coin. Even if he could twist the whole group's collective arms, it wasnt possible with their combined resources.  A few candidates had come about through his inquiries. Narrowing it down to one, he had had the meeting at the tavern.  Finalizing a payment plan and a handshake everything seemed to be moving in a positive direction.  As Dabliss left the tavern and the door shut there was a few moments of silence. 

Then the door to the tavern flung open.  The black clad woman stood in the doorway. The anger pulsing from her would have likely have been enough to cause any empath in the room to scream in agony.  Her voice roared with a thick accent, like a raging thunderstorm from the highlands. The shadows almost seemed to swirl around her in a fury, and her violet hued eyes seemed to flash for a moment amid the darkness.

Yennefer . Portrait" - PlaygroundDOALLYN MCCLARE!

Doallyn, one normally poised and collected, froze like an ice elemental had just crawled down his spine. He recognized the voice before he’d turned. He had feared this day. All the undead in the dungeons below could have starred him down and he would have probably fared better.  His neck twisted a bit before the rest of his body followed suit. Turning to gaze towards the doorway. His voice came out, though it was like a temple mouse that just found itself corned by an alleycat. 

Racanna, darling…..

Don’t…cha…dare… DARLING me. Ya bloody dolton dangleberry of schite. 

Doallyn started to try and speak. 

Haud yer wheesht! 

She moved towards him in a flash and the dagger was by his neck. His eyes shifted to the dagger and he promptly kept his mouth shut.

Ye leave and only a feckin’ letter to tell meh you have this daft notion to run here? On ye own?

I… 

No… No… I’m not done. Shhh….

….

Doallyn McClare… You are a heid - the baw. A damn eejit. And I swear I should beat you to a bloody pulp and drag your arse back to ye father and let him deal with you. Better yet, I let my father deal with ye. And then whatever mangled remains are left, I pack 'em in a bag and then drop that off fur ye father to deal with.

Doallyn shifted uncomfortably as Racanna glared him down, the blade pressed against his neck. The metal being extremely uncomfortable, not just because of the concept that a flick of her wrist could end him, but the metal itself being almost allergic reaction to his fey heritage. His eyes shifted a bit around the room hoping to find someone else to even provide him with a moment of reprieve.

Ruven Kair | "My Speech" | 'My thoughts' | My actions.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/97/f7/e6/97f7e6e1fce46d0212e768a2f41c9a06.jpg Male, Neutral Good, Lesser Air Genasi Wizard 2, Level 2, Init +3, HP 9/9, Speed 40ft
AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3, BAB +1
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Conditions None

Memorized Spells

SPELL SLOTS (Cantrip, DC 14) 3+3 | (1st, DC 15) 1+3+1 | (2nd) 0 | (3rd) 0

1. Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, (Caltrops*), (Caltrops*), (Caltrops*)

2. Color Spray, Grease*, (Grease*), (Lesser Orb of Acid*), (Resinous Tar*)

Feats / Abilities

FEATS
  • FLAW: Improved Levitation
  • Wizard: Scribe Scroll
  • 1st: Cloudy Conjuration
  • 3rd: Blank
ABILITIES
  • Improved Levitation 5/5
  • Abrupt Jaunt 4/4

Ruven watches the woman deftly wrangle him. 'Oh dear, this doesn't look good. I hope I know what I'm doing.' He gets up and slowly walks over towards them. "Ah, Racanna. It's so nice to finally meet you. Doallyn has told us so much about you. He has missed you greatly and still holds much guilt about your parting." He gestures to a nearby table with enough room for them to sit. "Come and sit with us. We can discuss your trip and maybe talk out some of the struggles you clearly have with him. I have trained with him for a few months and he was stubborn as a mule even back then, so I understand your frustrations." Ruven gives Doallyn a look so as to convey that he should work with him on this, if possible.

OOC:

We can sit down and kill each other with words, like civilized people.

spacer.png

Racanna side glanced over at Ruven though she was still talking to Doallyn

Well, mo ghraidh, ye have at least one that's willing to come to your aid. I imagine thats a start. No one tried to run me through tho'. So clearly you haven't endeared yourself to anyone else that deeply yet.

She pulled the blade back and spun it between her fingers before it found itself back into the scabbard on her hip. A light kiss was planted on Doallyn's lips.

Get me a drink would ye?

Racanna smirked before fully looking over to the Air Genasi.

So, do tell... What has my fiancé gone on to tell about me?

She would follow Ruven towards the table advised, looking to see who else was among the party.

Robin Kirkko

egXhMPu.jpgThe cleric is at first baffled by this encounter between Doallyn and this new person, not in the least because he doesn't understand half of what she is saying. A wide grin breaks out across his face when she announces she is his fiance. "Fiance! You old dog, you never said you were engaged!" A cleric of the goddess of love is, naturally, very interested in matters of love. "Madam, I am the Rev. Robin Kirkko, Doallyn's associate. Terribly charmed to meet you, of course." He doesn't try to smolder, that's just how his face looks.

Description

Stat Block

Robin Kirkko
  Dagger   (1d4, 19–20/×2)
Condition None

OOC

Search Roll incoming

spacer.png

Racanna nodded politely in response to Robin's introduction.

Racanna Enhasa.

She left it simple with just that. The last name for anyone that knew it would instantly know its association with her father and his position. The irony of the Master of Whisperers, the head of the king's spy network being one of the most well known people in court. However that target and recognition also made just about everyone else beneath him, a complete unknown. Which was a good thing to have regarding a network of spies.

She'd considered using an alias, but it was unlikely that Doallyn's time here had been subtle enough to keep his lineage a secret either. Being here now, even if she did, the engagement wasnt a secret and would have blown the cover in time. It wasnt worth the effort.

The Roguish Warlock took a seat finally at the table. Glancing back towards Doallyn still at the bar securing her drink.

I'm sure the engagement conversation just slipped his mind.

Racanna paused a bit, a light smile creep into the side of her mouth. She looked back to the people at the table.

He's got a lot on his mind though. Pretty big shoes to fill, his father bein' the High General. And then his granda, Myrddin went missing somewhere 'round 'ere. Doallyn sets his mind to somethin' its like watching a deerhound destroy a bone. Nothin' else matters until the task 'es done.

kaldakacziltoken.png.a6ea8c384f8aeed975b2e258389128fa.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 23/23, Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 2  
  Bite  +4 (1d8+4, x2)
  Chainmail Barding (+5 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Natural Armor)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16
Senses Keen Senses (half distance penalties for perception), Keen Low-Light Vision (multiply effective illumination distances for the dragon by 4), Darkvision 120ft.
Conditions

The dragon watched the scene with some amusement, tilting his stubby whiskered head to the side as the wizard was accosted. For once, he didn't seem to be the most unusual sight in the tavern! Especially not after having lingered within it for a good week as he commissioned the barding for his weakened body, even if the toughness of his scales had at last started to return, albeit subtly!

Seeing the other two interject first, the dragon observes from his favored corner of the tavern --- as close to the hearth as he could manage without drawing too much attention. The dragon had gotten to learn quite a bit about humans from his time with Ser Aluric, but to his chagrin, those memories were still cloudy and dulled. Worse, it was rather superficial. The traveling pair never stayed with any one family long, which left little time to understand the family dynamics at play among the les- mortal folks, beyond what idle questions he might have shot the paladins way, who understandably might have tried to duck more than a few of them considering the wyrmling's youth.

So it left him with only his days of wandering woodlands and his dragon understanding of relationship dynamics to guide him. Siblings play fought all the time, usually ending with ones fangs resting against a neck much like the woman's blade had against the wizard's throat. But then the lass started to sternly address Doallyn, confusing Kaldakaczil further as he tilted his head to the side, once again trying to peg the berating behavior... Actually, now that he fought of it, his mother had gotten her temper raised at him and his siblings on at least one occasion when the wyrmlings had... Well, best not to recall the antics of adventurous wyrmlings that were daring enough to rouse an adult gold's temper.

Believing he had properly deduced the situation going on, the gold gave a proud nod to himself and uncoiled himself from faux lair in the half-ruined tavern and strolled over to introduce himself to the raven haired woman. Coming to stand before her, he dipped his snout in a facsimile of a polite bow. "Greetings, a pleasure to meet your acquaintance! As for why no one interjected, well, most wouldn't want to get between a mother disciplining her wyrmling, no?" the magical beast spoke with a naive smile upon his scaled lips, still seeming to believe himself quite clever for getting a handle on this cross-species dynamic so quickly.

spacer.png

Racanna Enhasa

Female - Chaotic Good - Human - Rogue / Warlock

Racanna lifted an eyebrow slightly in Kald's direction as he commented on the exchange earlier between herself and Doallyn. She didnt know any of the people before her very well so she wasnt sure about sarcasm or the joking nature of any of them. Let alone that of a dragon.

Um... I'm not sure if I should be offended that it's being suggested that I'm mothering my fiancée or the implication that I look old enough to be his mother.

spacer.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 23/23, Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 2  
  Bite  +4 (1d8+4, x2)
  Chainmail Barding (+5 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Natural Armor)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16
Senses Keen Senses (half distance penalties for perception), Keen Low-Light Vision (multiply effective illumination distances for the dragon by 4), Darkvision 120ft.
Conditions

The dragon tilted his head curiously towards the other direction, not quite getting the perceived offense. "Fiance..? Is that his nickname? Or is it his true name and Doallyn is his adventuring name? Ser Aluric told me that a few take up that tradition as protection against scrying magic!" he reaches up to scratch absent mindedly at his whisker stubs. "What would be the offense at being perceived to be older? I just presumed that you were naturally his senior considering your authority over him. Its only natural that the older, and thus more powerful and wise, direct their charges." The wyrmling just seemed more puzzled than anything. Probably not too unexpected coming from a race where age just meant you grew into an even larger, more powerful, more magical fire breathing lizard.

Kaldakaczil purses his brow as he seems to think for a moment, probably because his words weren't having the desired ameliorating effect. "Maybe this is one of those... lost in translations issues... I'm meaning," he struggles for a moment, trying to wrap his tongue around how to express the point in common, before eventually defaults to a short phrase in draconic in exasperation - which roughly translated to 'you have the powerful spirit of a wyrm'.

Edited by Amoren (see edit history)

spacer.png

Racanna Enhasa

Female - Chaotic Good - Human - Rogue / Warlock

Racanna smiled lightly as Kald gave his explanation and then into a light laugh. A bit of understanding, or more specific, the lack of the young dragon's understanding on human customs was a bit more clear. She gathered herself a bit before smiling lightly at Kald again.

Doallyn is very much his name. Fiancée.. Betrothed. ... Pledged. It would be similar to what you might call a mate. Breeding.

Her eyes danced a bit devilishly playfully with the last word.

I yelled at him because his overprotective arse, thought leaving me behind would be safer for me, when he knows that he's safer when I'm with him.

The roguish woman leaned back in chair a bit, as Doallyn finally arrived with drinks. Pulling his head down and giving him a kiss again on the cheek, before taking her mug.

She listened to Kald's last comment in Draconic. She answered in turn.

Sed sic, aliquantulum translationis et erroris culturalis. Nulla sollicitudin mi amice. Et me tanta laude honoras.But yes, a bit of a translation and cultural error. No worries my friend. And you honor me with such praise.

spacer.pngDoallyn sat down after giving Racanna her drink, catching the last part of the conversation.

I'd ask what I missed but its probably in my best interest that I remain blissfully ignorant.

Robin Kirkko

egXhMPu.jpgRobin looks between Doallyn and Racanna with a grin. "So...how did you do meet?"

Description

Stat Block

Robin Kirkko
  Dagger   (1d4, 19–20/×2)
Condition None

OOC

Search Roll incoming