The Second Step

Ruess

spacer.png

Racanna Enhasa

Female - Chaotic Good - Human - Rogue / Warlock

Racanna leaned back in the chair.

You seem to think I really have any faith in the Church's ability to make good decisions.

She sighed a bit, the blackness seemed to pull back and her eyes returned to their more normal violet hue.

That aside, its not my choice alone. In fact its not mine at all. They havent even commented on the idea of myself going down and I have someone that can vouch for my skills. You will have a harder sell. You are the guy that showed up and made someone else leave.

Racanna looked back over towards the others, unsure if they had caught any of the conversation. She looked back to Mahdi.

If nothing else, if I hear you screw something up, maybe they'll come back and tell me that the dragon ate you.

She smirked.

kaldakacziltoken.png.a6ea8c384f8aeed975b2e258389128fa.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 23/23, Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 2  
  Bite  +4 (1d8+4, x2)
  Chainmail Barding (+5 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Natural Armor)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16
Senses Keen Senses (half distance penalties for perception), Keen Low-Light Vision (multiply effective illumination distances for the dragon by 4), Darkvision 120ft.
Conditions

The young dragon seemed to be a bit sorrowful about Robin leaving, giving the young priest a farewell and safe wishes - whilst hiding his own thoughts on the matter of his departure with a fleeting glance. Finally, as it comes time for the conversation about who to take on their descent, he visibly frowns, flicking a tail idly towards the side.

"If I may interject, I'm fine with taking either of you, or both. We could certainly use the skills, and four pair of eyes and hands may be better than two, presuming you two can work well enough in a professional matter." He then tilts a glance towards the other 'veterans' of the party, "As it is, I think we should make all due haste to return to the depths below. A week has been agonizingly long enough to wait as is for our training and crafts to be finished. We have to find those that have been lost to those depths, and there is the troubling urgency of those dreams we've had. If our various deities have been lending us portents of doom to act upon, we shouldn't dally."

thoughtful

As the discussion unfolds, Saai Vees takes a moment to evaluate Mahdi Dawud. Her keen observant nature doesn't miss a beat, and her gaze falls upon the newcomer as he interacts with the rest of the group, particularly with Racanna. She silently watches his demeanor, listening to the tone of his responses, and analyzing his body language.

Saai Vees is not quick to trust new additions to the party, especially in such dangerous undertakings as exploring the depths of Undermountain. She notes his attire, which matches the description of a tribesman from the desert surrounding the city, and his claim of having useful skills for the expedition. His mention of the Church of Sune's trustworthiness for delivering their communications doesn't seem to impress her much, given her previous statement about her faith in the church's decision-making.

However, she does take notice of his apparent willingness to cooperate, his explanation for not being involved in theft, and his interest in finding leads about his past. The dragon's interjection regarding their need for skills and his reminder of the urgency of their mission also adds a layer of practicality to the discussion.

"I mean you took me on, and took the chance. And I'm some weirdo that goes out and dances under the moon each night."

Edited by bloodsprite (see edit history)
Name
Diplomacy (+4 from Charm Domain power)
1d20+9 19

S9DYqqC.jpg.b8aad4d0c17e392306e13402c0ef02d7.jpgMahdi Dawud
HP:
13/13 AC: 17
Character Sheet--->Here

As the crew discusses whether they are going to include him on their next escapade he looks over the maps that Varon has laid out like it's his business. He quirks his eyebrow with a dubious expression at the mess of strings and notes he's scribbled all over. "We seem awfully agitated today over here. Come to think of it, the whole town seems agitated. Dubious doings in the Docks Ward?" He scratches his chin as he tries to recall anything about the marked place of business.

OOC

Roll incoming: Does Mahdi know anything about Rampona Shipping?

Edited by Chaz Hoosier (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge: Local
1d20+7 18

spacer.png

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Male - Neutral Good - Human Wizard (High Conjurer) / Duskblade

Initiative: +1 

Hit Points: 13/13

Speed: 30

Armour Class: 14

Touch: 11 / Flat-footed: 13,

Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +5

Base Attack Bonus: +1

Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 14

Doallyn had a bit of concern on the concept of shrimp in a desert location. Were they actually "shrimp" or some other locate bug being passed off as shrimp. He tossed the thought aside as Roy started to speak. A moment of concern again as Roy seemed to just randomly trail off during his conversation. Varon picked up though where the armor clad man had stopped. Checking on Roy later perhaps, but otherwise his attention shifted back to the briefing. He looked over the strings weaved into a web like pattern over the city and its various locations.

Nobility willing to leverage their presence? Is that a less than subtle request to utilize House McClare's name, or even House Enhasa now as well? Hiding the nobility act clearly didn't last as long as I'd like. Perhaps its for the best, and throwing the weight of it around can net better results.

Name
Knowledge: History
1d20+5 2
Knowledge: Nobility 
1d20+1 8
Knowledge: Local (Racanna)
1d20+1 16
Knowledge: Local (Doallyn) 
1d20+3 11

Ruven Kair | "My Speech" | 'My thoughts' | My actions.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/97/f7/e6/97f7e6e1fce46d0212e768a2f41c9a06.jpg Male, Neutral Good, Lesser Air Genasi Wizard 2, Level 2, Init +3, HP 9/9, Speed 40ft
AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3, BAB +1
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Conditions None

Memorized Spells

SPELL SLOTS (Cantrip, DC 14) 3+3 | (1st, DC 15) 1+3+1 | (2nd) 0 | (3rd) 0

1. Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, (Caltrops*), (Caltrops*), (Caltrops*)

2. Color Spray, Grease*, (Grease*), (Lesser Orb of Acid*), (Resinous Tar*)

Feats / Abilities

FEATS
  • FLAW: Improved Levitation
  • Wizard: Scribe Scroll
  • 1st: Cloudy Conjuration
  • 3rd: Blank
ABILITIES
  • Improved Levitation 5/5
  • Abrupt Jaunt 4/4

Once the situation had calmed down, Ruven sat back to allow the conversation to flow around him. He wasn't much concerned with who came with them so he let the others work that out. When they were called over to the table however, he was very much interested in the maps and notes spread out there. 'Oooh, this is nice.' He carefully and thoroughly goes over the notes and maps getting all the information he can and taking his own notes as well.

OOC:

Making some checks as well. Knowledge Local is a trained check.

Name
Knowledge Local
1d20+5 10
Knowledge History
1d20+5 20

Sandpyke

Armour Chapel*The* southmost ward of the city. Several City Watch officers live here.

AdrielFifth weekday, 32th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total.

Early morning 7:01

Yawning Pit Interior (Or was it Yawning Abyss? Yawning Hole?)

The Big Table

image.jpeg.c743c745ba7e2fd7eda505e147f8e961.jpeg

Rolf

"Aye." Rolf looks at Kaldakazil in silence while the dragon speaks. Despite the man's age and apparent fatigue he can't hide the wonder in his eyes. There is a golden dragon right here in front of him. When Mahdi speaks up, Rolf looks over and answers readily: I don't need a palm reader or a doom reader shouting on a street corner. This past week we've seen meteors raining right before the moons started mirroring each other. And that's after the city quakes hard enough to rip up most of the streets. That's a bad sign strong enough for a blind man to see. Worse than finding out a lucky fellow lost his soul in cards." There is a short pause before Rolf looks to Varon. "Speaking of. Varon? The soul...thing?"

There is some shuffling. It is not much, but anyone hiding their own thoughts or subtler deeds would have easy distractions due to Roy moving to gather plates to take to the kitchen, Ruven getting a tiefling to point out the first spot to start drafting some district connection notes with, and Varon motioning for a gnoll nearby to pass him a particular stack of notes from amongst many others.

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png

"To address the question raised by our lord and his lady: House McClare and House Enhasa are welcome to act on the events taking place. There is no guarantee of success, nor of spoils. But all assistance would be welcome. Particularly in the light of the soul topic."

Varon pauses to have a breath and to have a drink.

"Among the Items Of Interest so far identified, several possess a history that, as put by a scholar of uncertain mental health, is written in blood and screams. The most critical of are two: a crown, and a deck of cards. The former is named The Crown Of The Gateless Gate. And the latter is named Fifty-Three Fates. Would any of you have any idea what they are? We understand if none of you have answers. Apparently information on these items has been intentionally buried."

HP:
Character Sheet--->Here

"Rampona Shipping--what about them? They're not the most sordid sort of people but not the most honest either. Just what it says on the crate--shipping, storage, a little under the table shipping. They like to work through third parties to keep their hands clean." He shrugs, not imagining why the company should be a matter of concern.

OOC

spacer.png

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Doallyn's face remained stoic, but the unease flickered in his eyes for a moment at the mention of the items. The mention of the houses falling to a secondary priority. He remembered several notations from his Grandfather's journals. Many things written is seeming madness and puzzling contradictions at time.

This scholar and these items? Would you know more about the man's location currently? As for the items. The deck... is dangerous. In the hands of the wrong person, it would allow a game of cards to becoming something much more. Something beyond gambling of coins. Gambling your own mind, luck, or even your soul away. You mentioned someone lost their soul in a game of cards? Its something an outsider, like a Devil would love to obtain. Get their quarry to bet their own. The game of chance already probably rigged from the start. Easy prey.

He paused for a moment.

The crown I'm less sure on. Though there are high level spells that allow planar travel. Gates. It would make sense for a devil or similar like creature to have an item that allowed them to move back and forth with their recently obtained ill gotten gains. I've also heard of the term "gateless gate" on an enlightenment level. Perhaps something to read minds. Again something that would fit well with the cards. Though the planar travel would be the more likely. The outsider would probably wish to be able to travel with ease before anything else.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/97/f7/e6/97f7e6e1fce46d0212e768a2f41c9a06.jpg Male, Neutral Good, Lesser Air Genasi Wizard 2, Level 2, Init +3, HP 9/9, Speed 40ft
Conditions None

Memorized Spells

Feats / Abilities

FEATS
ABILITIES
  • Abrupt Jaunt 4/4

Ruven nodded in agreement with Mahdi's information, feeling that there wasn't much to add to what has already been said. Once the items were mentioned, his attention was riveted to the conversation. He searched through his memories to try and remember anything he could about them. Listening to Doallyn's words, he comments "Fascinating."

OOC:

Making some checks as well.

Name
Knowledge History
1d20+5 20
Knowledge Arcana
1d20+9 3
Knowledge Planes
1d20+5 20

Conditions None

Memorized Spells

Feats / Abilities

FEATS
ABILITIES
  • Abrupt Jaunt 4/4

Ruven pauses for a moment in thought, and his eyes widen as a realization hits him. "The Crown of Madness, which is the name I will use from now on so as to not draw it's attention, is an extremely chaotic item. It is pure madness from the Far Realm forged into physical form. Even the presence of a piece of this item radiates chaos and madness to everything around it. Thankfully only pieces have been found. If it was ever re-assembled, it would likely create a permanent gateway to the madness of the Far Realm, undoubtedly from which unspeakable horrors would emerge. And that would likely only be the start."
Ruven imparts this information with seriousness and gravitas, but also with a hint of excitement. It seems as if he enjoys being able to share his facination with the magical world.
"The Deck, by the way, not only allows you to gamble away anything, it allows you shuffle around your fate as well. Altering your past so that you can become a completely different person. Many of us would turn out completely differently if our past circumstances were altered in this way. Tragedy changed to victory. A decision made to take a path previously untaken. Such a power would be very tempting, and very dangerous."

OOC:

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sandpyke

Armour Chapel*The* southmost ward of the city. Several City Watch officers live here.

AdrielFifth weekday, 32th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total.

Early morning 7:04

Yawning Pit Interior (Or was it Yawning Abyss? Yawning Hole?)

The Big Table

image.jpeg.c743c745ba7e2fd7eda505e147f8e961.jpeg

Rolf

"Rampona's people might be involved. Problem is finding who all and to what end. Not like we can march up to any of their businesses and ask if they've been smuggling in illegal goods or magical artifacts in the last few weeks." Rolf answers to Mahdi. "And that's just Rampona Shipping. No telling who might have hired them, or what those people will do if they so much as think we're onto them.

Roy arrives from the kitchen sometime during Rolf speaking and brings forth re-filled alegs for all in attendance. He retreats into the kitchen again, unless someone explicitly calls for him.

When Doallyn speaks at length, it is to a crowd that nods along with what Doallyn has to say.

Varon looks some notes over as Doallyn speaks, and it seems as though the man is about to speak up in answer...but then Ruven speaks up.

And a complete silence falls.

It is Varon who finds his focus first while most of the others are grappling with the full implications of the Ruven's dire declaration.

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png

Varon

"It seems that House McClare and House Enhasa are called upon sooner than ancitipated. Lady Enhasa, please remain. This matter will be directed to Lord Mortton at highest priority. Lord McClare, the scholar in question is presently undergoing treatment at sanitarium. Visitation is improbable under normal circumstances."

There is a pause when Roy arrives again, with ale and some fried squid upon his arms. Varon looks at the armored man on cue.

"Roy. The Crown is everything you feared. All priorities are on the Crown as of today." Roy groans but Varon continues over the other man's protest: "Your task will be to seek out Inquisitor Vindictus. And to secure the inquisitor's presence. Your disagreements with the inquisitor are superseded by the Crown's matter."

A pause comes again as Varon looks to your group, sweeping all members of it.

"We need answers on what trouble brews under the city, and you are the only group that has returned alive without losses. We will offer all the help that can be mustered from the city's state, and seek out more on what you have discovered so far, such as the mind bender's signifigance."

neutral.png.70b466d6d945f0fd4c644408460d9a01.png

Saai Vees listens attentively as Ruven imparts crucial information about the Crown of Madness and the Deck. Her expression remains composed, but a flicker of concern may pass through her eyes as the gravity of the situation unfolds. She absorbs the details with a keen interest, noting the potential dangers associated with these magical artifacts.

As Ruven emphasizes the chaotic and perilous nature of the Crown of Madness, Saai Vees's analytical mind processes the implications. She understands the urgency and the need to prevent the reassembly of such an item. Ruven's excitement is noted, and Saai Vees appreciates his passion for sharing his knowledge of the magical world.

When the conversation shifts to the practicalities of investigating Rampona Shipping and the involvement of House McClare and House Enhasa, Saai Vees remains composed. She acknowledges the need for swift action and nods as Varon assigns tasks to different individuals. Saai Vees takes in the information about seeking out Inquisitor Vindictus and the change in priorities, mainly focusing on the matter of the Crown.

As Varon looks to the group, sweeping his gaze over its members, Saai Vees nods, indicating her understanding and readiness for the tasks ahead. Her expression remains determined and focused, prepared to face the challenges beneath the city and unravel the mysteries they've encountered.

"by mind bender do you mean the angry headwear?"

Edited by bloodsprite (see edit history)

المهدي دَاوُوْد
HP:
Character Sheet--->Here

Usually talk of magical items would mean little to Mahdi, whose life is preoccupied with more immediate threats than wizards gambling away their souls. Even he cannot help having some little consternation at the mood of the city. After some thought about Rampona, something seems to occur to him.

"I don't know what nobles know about anything, but I know a guy who knows a guy from Rampona." He swipes a slip of paper from the table without bothering to ask and jots a single line on it a flowing script.

انا بحاجة للقاء.  -المهدي

He folds it and writes the addressee on the outside, a certain emporium near the market frequented by the desert nomads and their settled cousins. "Could you have this delivered?" He sets it on the table.

"Well, you heard the nice man--we have urgent matters to attend to in Undermountain."

OOC

Edited by Chaz Hoosier (see edit history)

spacer.png

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Doallyn didnt seem to miss a beat with Varon's comment on visitation. The possibility to confirm his grandfather's status at least one way or another was close. Even if the old man had found with his brain a bit shattered, there may be a way to heal it. At least it would confirm he was alive.

These are beyond normal circumstances now. Perhaps some special circumstances will make exception? If the Sanitarium is currently in the care of Archmage Myrddin, I have no doubt that House McClare and the Crown would wish to know. I can see additional resources set their way to ensure his continued care.

He glanced over to Racanna for a moment.

As for the shipping company, I can't think of a better suited person for finding out information on them. If its illegal or black market, give her a few days we'll probably have every fence's inventory list in the city.