Character Creation Questions

Maester1216

On 11/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, artsmythe said:

I think DARWYN PRIESTLY is now ready for review. If my math, or my understanding of game mechanics or continuity are off, please let me know and I will make the necessary revisions.

There are two three points that stand out with your character:

Ability score: According to the core rulebook you cannot start with an ability score over 18.

Skills: The operative edge is an insight bonus. It does not stack with the skill focus (making the skill focus feats they get at level 1 redundant once they reach level 7)

Weapon: Because the baton and knife are operative weapons, you use your dex modifier to hit rather than the strength mod.

Edited by mole75 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, mole75 said:

There are two three points that stand out with your character:

Ability score: According to the core rulebook you cannot start with an ability score over 18.

Skills: The operative edge is an insight bonus. It does not stack with the skill focus (making the skill focus feats they get at level 1 redundant once they reach level 7)

Weapon: Because the baton and knife are operative weapons, you use your dex modifier to hit rather than the strength mod.

Okay. Got it. Thank you, @mole75. I am working on making those corrections.

Firefly meets Cyberpunk, in StarFinder?!? Oh I DEFINITELY aim to misbehave!!

I've looked all over the character creation rules, and can't seem to find our starting level. Am I blind, or is it listed elsewhere?

Also, I note that there's no 3pp allowed, but is it safe to assume that all official SF material is allowed? Should we just use aonsrd.com?

I honestly don't even have a germ of a hint of a character idea, but I'd like to get my ducks in a row before I start making plans.

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

Not to step on anyone's toes, especially not the GM 😁

But another mistake that is often made by players (myself included) is not to pay attention to the kind of bonuses that Starfinder hands out. If you come from PF1 you only rarely have the same bonus twice at level 1. However in SF, most (or all?) skill bonusses to classes are insight and thus don't stack with something like the skill focus feat.

Technically no. I say that because there isn’t a specific rule in that regard, GM’s are simply reminded that allowing players access to gear above their current level could imbalance the game.

To that end yes, no items above Level 1 at the start.