Quick Questions & Answers

Colin

On 5/14/2023 at 7:35 AM, Avaday Daydream said:

3.5 D&D/PF1e:
1. Is there an upgraded version of the Alarm spell that can detect ethereal creatures, or, does Transdimensional Spell/Ectoplasmic Spell allow Alarm to detect ethereal creatures?
2. Aside from Alarm, what magic can be used to wake up a sleeping creature, whether magical or mundane sleep? That is, if you were sleeping but had a Contingency spell to wake you if X event happened, what spell would you use as the contingency?
3. If you were a ninja, how would you sneak up on a sleeping mage who has a) a Transdimensional Alarm spell set up around their bed, and b) a 'wake up' spell contingency'd to trigger if the Alarm is dispelled?

The Homebrew section might be the best source of help.

On 5/14/2023 at 6:35 AM, Avaday Daydream said:

3.5 D&D/PF1e:
1. Is there an upgraded version of the Alarm spell that can detect ethereal creatures, or, does Transdimensional Spell/Ectoplasmic Spell allow Alarm to detect ethereal creatures?
2. Aside from Alarm, what magic can be used to wake up a sleeping creature, whether magical or mundane sleep? That is, if you were sleeping but had a Contingency spell to wake you if X event happened, what spell would you use as the contingency?
3. If you were a ninja, how would you sneak up on a sleeping mage who has a) a Transdimensional Alarm spell set up around their bed, and b) a 'wake up' spell contingency'd to trigger if the Alarm is dispelled?

1. There are several. Greater alarm, in particular, wards against ethereal and shadow-plane passage across the spell's boundary. There are a couple more in complete mage and the spell compendium that all have alarm in the name but would need to be transdimensional spells, as the metamagic, to ward against being avoided by ethereal passage.

2. Rouse (PHB2) wakes up everyone in a 10ft burst around the caster without fail. Setting a contingency with it should work, subject to GM interpretation of contingency's ability to observe your surroundings. Less certain, there's always the option of something that makes a godawful racket when it goes off, e.g; any of a host of conjurations or evocations connected to a glyph of warding near the caster's resting area. Anything you couldn't fail to hear with the -10 for being asleep will do.

3. Teleportation. Alarm triggers when you pass the boundary of it. Passing through the astral plane via teleportation magic goes around the boundary in such a way that the subject of the spell simply doesn't cross the boundary in any way that the alarm spell can detect. It's a kind of 4d move to avoid a 3d obstacle. Arguably, an alarm spell can be considered a magical trap that a rogue or other trapfinding class, like a ninja, can bypass with a successful disable device check in such a way as to neither set it off or dispel it. In the case of greater alarm, that's a DC 27 check or higher if the spell is heightened via metamagic.

Disclaimer: I only vouch for 3e rules. I don't know PF 1e beyond some very cursory information.

4 hours ago, Kelb_Panthera said:

3. Teleportation. Alarm triggers when you pass the boundary of it. Passing through the astral plane via teleportation magic goes around the boundary in such a way that the subject of the spell simply doesn't cross the boundary in any way that the alarm spell can detect. It's a kind of 4d move to avoid a 3d obstacle. Arguably, an alarm spell can be considered a magical trap that a rogue or other trapfinding class, like a ninja, can bypass with a successful disable device check in such a way as to neither set it off or dispel it. In the case of greater alarm, that's a DC 27 check or higher if the spell is heightened via metamagic.

Hmm...looking at the spell description, Alarm triggers when a Tiny or larger creature enters or touches the warded area; I'm not sure teleportation would work, since you'd still be entering the warded area, even if you don't touch its outer boundary.

Funnily enough, though, I rechecked the rules; Alarm (and its derivatives) are an emanation, which is considered essentially the same as a burst, but continuous; burst area spells cannot hit targets that have total cover relative to their point of origin, so hypothetically, you could use a tower shield to approach and enter the Alarmed area, without it detecting you, giving an opportunity to disarm the trap or get a first strike on your sleeping mage.
Alternatively, you could send a Diminutive familiar or summoned creature (if a Selective Alarm isn't watching for those) to scout the area and (with Bull's Strength) steal some unsecured magic items.

3 hours ago, Avaday Daydream said:

Hmm...looking at the spell description, Alarm triggers when a Tiny or larger creature enters or touches the warded area; I'm not sure teleportation would work, since you'd still be entering the warded area, even if you don't touch its outer boundary.

Funnily enough, though, I rechecked the rules; Alarm (and its derivatives) are an emanation, which is considered essentially the same as a burst, but continuous; burst area spells cannot hit targets that have total cover relative to their point of origin, so hypothetically, you could use a tower shield to approach and enter the Alarmed area, without it detecting you, giving an opportunity to disarm the trap or get a first strike on your sleeping mage.
Alternatively, you could send a Diminutive familiar or summoned creature (if a Selective Alarm isn't watching for those) to scout the area and (with Bull's Strength) steal some unsecured magic items.

lol you really think a shield will protect you from that spell? It's triggered when something enters the area 🤣

I don't know. The spell DOES specify it works when a CREATURE, not just any object, enters the area. The real question is, is the creature a target? Or has the spell already filled the area and entering, regardless of cover, will trigger the spell? I don't think this trick works, but there IS an argument to be made.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple things have come up recently in some personal PF1e discussions that I would like to ask the community at large. Is there any errata or other rules clarifications to see how these things interact or pan out in RAW without needing a DM ruling to override poor wording or lack of clarification?

1. Using Effervescent Bombs variation granted by the Alchemist's Perfumer archetype with bomb discoveries that diretly reference splash damage, direct target/hits, etc. Effervescent Bombs removes the direct damage and replaces splash damage/area, but also states clearly that they still (somehow) work with normal bomb discoveries...most of which reference direct or splash damage/area, which the effervescent bombs lack.
  2. What happens to an object that was bottled once the duration of a Liquify spell ends? If the bottle just explodes and the item reverts to its original state, what methods exist to prevent this from happening?
  3. The culverin states that firing one without 'support' such as a wall, window, or a stand imparts a penalty and knocks the wielder prone. Are there 'stands' anywhere that you can buy, or do you just always need to get a DM ruling? Is there any content that would mitigate or negate this drawback anywhere? (Having to ask 'can I use that as a stand' before being able to post an attack action would really slow a PbP game down.)
  4. The Boon Companion feat clearly states you can take it more than once, and have to use it on a different animal companion each time, but the Celestial Servant feat doesn't mention being able to take it more than once, so how would it function for someone with more than a single animal companion?

Edited by BBK (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Pathfinder 1e.

I'm an Eldritch Scion Magus that has just reached level 7. I get a pair of level 3 spells added to my spells known. (The archetype changes me to being a spontaneous caster.) What are some good choices for spells?

My current spells are:

0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Flare, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Spark, Mage Hand

1: Shocking Grasp, True Strike, Frostbite, Burning Hands, Longarm, Magic Missile

2: Mirror Image, Bladed Dash, Aggressive Thundercloud, Cat's Grace

(FYI, I have a natural fly speed so don't really need the Fly spell.)

Edited by Shozurei (see edit history)

Well, there's always Haste. Even if you don't get a lot of full attacks, it's still not bad for you and great for the other martials in your group. Heroism is a nice buff if you don't have anyone in your party throwing around morale bonuses. Greater Stunning Barrier could be interesting if your save DC is decent. Storm Step isn't bad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interest Check vs GM Wanted

Should I be posting a desired game as "Interest Check" to see if there are any other players interested in such a game, before posting for a GM wanted for said game...or is Interest Check strictly used by GM's wishing to host a game to see if there are players interested in playing in it?

Edited by Sardis75
to activate the follow topic option. (see edit history)

• 1 month later...