Chapter 2 - First Hunt

Blaeringr

The hills are not especially impressive in size, and the vegetation at first is much like the surrounding woods and grasslands, but over the first rise, the ecosystem seems to be changing already.

These hills are rocky under a thin layer of soil. The trees seem shorter, but hardy and rugged. Thorny shrubbery and grasping brambles become more and more common. Insects crawl and buzz about, but larger wildlife is more sparse. Birds, of course, can be seen in the foliage, or flying overhead, but not the wholesome songbirds of the meadows.

Moving parallel to the winding, steep canyon cut by some extinct river, the adventures crest a couple more rises still, and a couple hours' trek into the hills, up and down, they finally spot a place where all the canyons seem to converge. The Palm is an apt description, a bare spot, like a dry riverbed, that rises up from several canyons, making a plateau between three hills.

And in the center of the Palm, like a great thorn extruding from its flesh, a tall, jagged stalagmite juts straight up. The appears to be a single tunnel into the base of the towering stone formation, and a few other smaller tunnels higher up.

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
HP: 24/24
AC: 18
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1
Focus Points: 1/1
Halfling Luck: 1/1
Class DC: 18

Statblock

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7
Speed: 25
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

"Well now, I am not a cartographer or geologist, but on first glance I can't believe that huge stalagmite is natural! Wow, that's quite a sight and some incredible geography over here... Lets keep a look out and see if we can make it to the base... though I worry maybe the higher up tunnels may also be ways in..." says Maybell as she looks at the terrain ahead of them. She tries to inspect the place based on her base knowledge of nature and geography to see if some trail or characteristics of the place give her any insights about the best way to go forward... while keeping an eye on the other tunnels for sentries...

Show this

If applicable, rolling Nature to better understand the terrain and stalagmite and Perception to spot any sentries that may be hidden or details on the tunnels.

Nature

Perception

Edited by daltar (see edit history)
Name
Nature
1d20+5 12
Perception
1d20+7 18

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine took in the impressive sight with a low whistle. Then he scratched his head absently.

"Well the place is well named, that is for sure. You reckon those tunnels are other entrances? I sure hope these goblins haven't sprouted wings. They might be clever enough to post sentries on those tunnels to keep an eye out for intruders. The palm doesn't offer much cover, approaching the tower will be risky unless we go when the sun is bright."

Khaine tried to map out a good path for keeping the party out of sight. At least until they got as close as possible.

Name
Stealth
1d20+8 12

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

Chelia had been making some notes in her recently acquired journal, with a quickly drawn map so they could find the place back.

"Nice defensible spot," she remarked, "And those goblins don't need wings, they can use the ladder that's been created. Here, see these indentations. I don't think they made it, but the certainly can use it."

she points to some carved series of impressions into one portion of the towering stalagmite. They almost blend into the random roughness of the stone, perhaps intentionally camouflaged. It appears to be a ladder of sorts, meandering side to side as it climbs up to one of the higher tunnels, about 30 feet up. She has a closer look to see if she could see some marks that goblins had used these.

OOC

exploration activity: Scouting (gives us a +2 on initiative)

Not sure if it's perception to see signs of the gobbos on the ladder, or survival to find tracks of them on it. So I rolled both. rolls are close enough together that it doesn't really matters.

Edited by farothel (see edit history)
Name
perception
1d20+7 9
survival
1d20+5 12

It's morning still - about 10 am. As the adventuers came from the East end of the Finger Canyons (over hill rather than the canyons themselves) the sun has been mostly at their backs, and now a little to their backs and left as they approached.

Closer to the tower, they spot small pools of a thick pale brownish liquid. Now the faint smell of vomit from the pools, and the sizzling sound of pieces of organic matter still being broken apart in the largest pool.

No movement stirs from any of the holes into the tower. The main entrance seems to slope downward into the huge column, which up close looks to be at least 50 feet in diameter.

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

"Uh, my darling allies? The pool of gross smells just moved when we moved closer... either something is in it or it is SOMETHING more than a pool" says Maybell, preparing herself for possible combat... should they throw a rock in it? Maybe her combat ready allies will be more in the know for what to do.

Chelia had also noticed the pools (not that difficult with the smell coming from them) but hadn't paid too much attention to them, other than to stay clear. It wasn't as if she could do much against a pool of liquid with her sword.

"Any idea what it might be," she asked the others, "I think as long as we stay clear, we should be okay, but lets be even more careful. Maybe freeze them with a cold cantrip? It would at least help with the smell."

OOC

Edited by farothel (see edit history)

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine had been a farmer, he was used to less than pleasant smells, but this was really unpleasant. What kind of things were these?

"Digestion pools? Were they here before the goblins? Why would the goblins settle near such things? If they digest organic matter, then are they alive? I have heard tales of living oozes that live on organic matter in the great sewers of the largest cities. But I always thought them fanciful tales. Could these be something similar? The goblins seem to be able to pass them, so we should be able to do the same."

Khaine tried to pick out a path that avoided going too close to the pools.

With a little time to observe it, the adventurers realize the ooze creature is too weak to pull itself out of its small depression. At least some of the sizzling noise heard is from sunlight slowly frying this thing.

As to the inert pools, are they expired ooze creatures, or pools of vomit the infested goblins are known for as Neil mentioned.

weylin(1).png.e4bb6feffe4438da76babea0d7b960e2.png  WEYLIN "The Drake" RYDER

Half-Orc Sorcerer (Bronze Dragon) CG

HP 24/24 AC: 16  Speed 25ft

Fort 6 Ref 6 Will 7

Class DC: 18 Spell Slots: 4  Focus points: 1/1

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14 Wis 12 Int 10 Cha 18

Weylin recoils a bit at the horrid stench. "Disgusting, I sure hope there isn't more of these fetid pools of digestive acid further inside..." He silently curses to himself, certain he'd just jinxed the mission. "Let's find a good passage inside, while the sun is still high and bright."

The sorcerer absent-mindedly clenched and unclenched hands, his fingers felt strange, the nails having hardened, skin having grown slightly tougher overnight, something he hadn't had a chance to ponder or experiment with.

"Great, little oozes," Chelia grumbled, "if it's not a treat to us, we best leave it here for now. At least the other pools indicate that the goblins are indeed around here. Probably hiding from the sunlight inside the structure. So what now, head in or try to get them to come out?"

OOC

Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

"Delightful... I'd advice against going down the main door... maybe if the lookout side tunnels with depressions leading to them have ways deeper in, it may be a less monitored route... but regardless, I think we ought to try and go inside if we can" offers Maybell as the next course of action.

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

HP: 32/32 ~ AC: 19 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +6 ~ Ref: +8 ~ Will: +7 ~ Per: +7

Sheet link

Kek stares at the pool for several minutes in silence. At last he speaks. "Does it occur to anyone else that the nature of the ooze and the symptoms of the infected goblins are similar? Hunger, acid generation ... bones growing softer?" he asks. "And I cannot easily tell the difference between a slime and something that came from the goblins' bodies."
He begins poking around in his belongings for around for an empty vial and a long, corrosion resistant tool of some sort. "I would like to take a sample."

Name
Medicine
1d20+7 3
Nature
1d20+5 8
Crafting
1d20+6 6
Medicine
1d20+7 15
Crafting
1d20+6 18

"I'm not sure samples of oozes is a good idea," Chelia said, "nor vomit from weird gobbos. But in any case, if want to use the side entrance, we can climb up this ladder in the rocks here and go to that tunnel. I'll climb first if someone can cover me with a bow or something and then I'll cover you guys while you climb up, okay?"

If there was no objection, she would climb up the ladder she had found in the rocks to the other entrance, where she would take up position to be able to cover the other climbers.

OOC