Chapter 2 - First Hunt

Blaeringr

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine agreed that going in was the best, the goblins were unlikely to come out in the sun, and if they could catch them unaware they might be able to take them out one by one without alerting the whole nest.

"I'll climb up second, I won't be able to cover you with any weapon, so I may as well follow after and we can hold the entrance together if need be."

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

HP: 32/32 ~ AC: 19 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +6 ~ Ref: +8 ~ Will: +7 ~ Per: +7

Sheet link

"A moment before we go," Kek says, as he opens his pack. He takes the chalk and soap out of his adventurer's kit and begins crushing the chalk into powder, then warming the soap with his hands until the bar becomes somewhat malleable. He divvies the soap and powdered chalk between several vials, then tops it off with a bit of distilled spirits, to make thick mixtures of cloudy goop.
"Ointment," he explains, offering a vial to any who want one. "If you're touched by their vomit, spread this on the point of contact. It should alleviate the worst of the damage ... though it would be of course better if you avoid the vomit altogether."

With the camouflaged ladder discovered, ascent to the portal is not too challenging. One after another they scale the face of the massive, and very out of place stalagmite, following the handholds as they take a winding course up the stone face.

At the top of the climb, they find themselves in a stone alcove that at first appears like nothing more than a shelf carved into the side of the tower. But Maybell's sharp eyes (just grabbing the last high check) spot the outline of a hidden door. Exploring the surface carefully with fingers and thin tools, a latch is found, and from there a catch that opens the door silently.

Whoever worked this great column had excellent skill in working stone.

The door leads into a hallway that immediately curves away to both the left and right, seeming to wind around the cirvumference of the tower. To the right slopes downwards, and to the left upwards. There are no stairs - the hallway is one big spiral ramp. There appears to be a balcony further up the left passage, looking down into the hollow center of the column.

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
HP: 24/24
AC: 18
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1
Focus Points: 1/1
Halfling Luck: 1/1
Class DC: 18

Statblock

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7
Speed: 25
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

"Thank you, Mr Kek... as for this place... I think we should go up before we go down. I think this place ought to be deeper than tall... and so, better make sure we're not leaving someone behind us at the top before we explore the bottom" suggests Maybell.

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

"Agreed," Chelia said with a nod, taking one of the vials as well, "and fighting uphill is more tricky, so if we think our primary targets are down below, coming from above is always better."

She would take a place at the front and head up, carefully checking out things, sword at the ready.

OOC

exploration activity: Scouting (gives us a +2 on initiative)

Name
perception
1d20+7 19

Khaine - Human Monk 2

Conditions :

Khaine took up position just behind Chelia. He didn't want to fall over the edge of this ramp, the fall was a long way down.

"Yes, lets clear what is above and work our way down from there. The ones nearer the sun are more likely to be resting now, so lets move quietly."

Name
Stealth
1d20+8 6
Perception
1d20+5 13

weylin(1).png.e4bb6feffe4438da76babea0d7b960e2.png  WEYLIN "The Drake" RYDER

Half-Orc Sorcerer (Bronze Dragon) CG

HP 24/24 AC: 16  Speed 25ft

Fort 6 Ref 6 Will 7

Class DC: 18 Spell Slots: 4  Focus points: 1/1

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14 Wis 12 Int 10 Cha 18

"Up sounds good" Weylin's hands spark a warm green, casting ambient light down across the stones. The sorcerer was ready to test his mettle, taking up a position near the back of the line, keeping an eye out for trouble.

Name
Perception
1d20+5 7

The passage to the left, gradually going up, does indeed open onto a larger central chamber.

The adventurers stand on a platform, a curved ceiling above them, and a roundish chamber below. The chamber looks like an entrance hall. Perhaps once it was decorated with furniture, fine tapestries, and other such ornamentation, but it is fairly spartan now.

A strange scene plays out in the entrance hall, below the adventurers. A group of diseased looking goblins, as awful as Neil described them, are gathered around a hobgoblins lying on the floor, ropes binding his wrists and ankles.

the captive

spacer.pngHe cries out something, speaking in the goblinoid language, perhaps insults, or begging for his life.

Undeterred, the goblins gathered around him chant:

"Thagomosis! Thagomosis! Thagomosis!"

As he struggles, and tries desperately to crawl like a worm, a large greenish creature made of slime, bits of odd colored organelles visible through its translucent body, slides towards him. The crowd closes in around. Their is a cry, quickly muffled, and cheers of triumph.

The ooze slides away, leaving a partially digested, still hobgoblin. The goblins leave it alone.

20231218_164855.jpg.a2f7326b1567c3004be0357bbec43244.jpg

20231218_164902.jpg.32d067a4fb8b089c5b5be4b1bf0f3b17.jpg

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
HP: 24/24
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1
Focus Points: 1/1
Halfling Luck: 1/1
Class DC: 18

Statblock

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7
Speed: 25
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

This is certainly an unpleasant sight. It has been years since Maybell has been on the road, so it is not her first brush with such things... but it remains unpleasant to say the least. She just witnessed a man's execution... or worse. She bites her lip, nonetheless forcing herself to take in every details for it all may be important. Thagomosis? The chant seemed like a ritual of some sort... perhaps the spread of the goblin disease via the ooze? Feeding it or turning the man? It seemed like the Hobgoblin was murdered from where she saw him... and it was only goblins who were described as diseased... so perhaps the oozes have a relationship with the diseased goblins but are unable to affect hobgoblins...

Too much speculation... however, while she wishes to make things better here, she's not sure how her allies will decide to act. They are the martial paragons she's hiding behind so she can't start a battle she's not sure whenever they wish to fight. She prepares herself for possible combat as she studies her companion's motions...

Khaine - Human Monk 2

Conditions :

Khaine watched from the vantage point. He wanted to jump down there and save the hobgoblin, but he didn't have enough time, nor a safe path down. Instead he whispered to his companions.

"We could not save him, but we can stop it happening to any others. Let us get closer, quietly. If we can take out the goblins or the slimes alone, it will make our task easier."

He made his way closer, sticking to shadows and moving quietly.

Name
Stealth
1d20+8 18

Chelia goes back a little before talking, so they can't be overheard.

"I can't do anything from this point as I only have one dagger to throw. Unless we first go all the way up and come down from the other side. Or if someone can cover me while I put a rope to slide down, that's also an option."

OOC

As the adventurers contemplate and discuss their next move, there is motion below. The four goblins drag the sizzling hobgoblin, who is mostly dead, but just slightly alive, to the North wall. One of the feels the wall there, and after doing something difficult to see, a section of the wall about two feet wide and four high swings into the hall. Two of them drag the mostly dead but slightly alive hobgoblin through, and two remain in the hall with the ooze. But they don't close the door.

The two goblins aren't doing much. They seem to just be keeping an eye on the main entrance. The ooze is very slowly moving about.

"Two less makes it easier," Chelia said softly, "I'll attach a rope here somewhere and drop down at the same time as the people with ranged attacks start shooting or magicing. Keep them away from any of the doors until I manage to get down, then focus on that ooze. Fire will probably do the trick, if the ones burning outside are any indication."

She did make a mental note to get some sort of ranged weapon that she could do something in the future. while it wasn't her strong point, it did gave options and she had trained with them. Attaching the rope shouldn't take too long and with her gloves, she shouldn't worry about rope burn as she quickly went down.

OOC

Khaine - Human Monk 2

Conditions :

Khaine nodded. It seemed unlikely the goblins would go into the sunlight and if they could take these two down first, they still could retreat easily if need be.

"I will climb down after you."

He had worked with ropes before, so he took his hankerchief from around his neck and wrapped it around his wrist for protection.

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

HP: 32/32 ~ AC: 19 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +6 ~ Ref: +8 ~ Will: +7 ~ Per: +7

Sheet link

Kek watches the twitching hobgoblin dragged away. His face is almost unreadable except for a tightness in the muscles of jaw.
"I would like to engage them before they maim another captive," he says stiffly. "I'll cover the door, and deal with any threats to Maybell and Weylin. Call out if you need assistance."