OOC discussion

prophane

13 minutes ago, Vedast said:

His STR is 17 (+2). So +2 (STR) +1 (specialization) = +3 total with the long axe.

With a hand axe, his ATK/DMG bonus is +2. Thown, it would be +0/+2, though I'm not sure, whether STR bonus to thrown weapons for damage (only) is a AD&D thing or OSE or B/X also?).

Does this help?

Ok! I see it in the book now. The Ability Scores section cleared up my confusion on what the full attack formula was.

So to clarify I'm understanding: specializing in spear would allow missile attacks be done with a +2 since that's a DEX attack roll and +1 bonus damage since damage is based on STR.

Edited by Spacesong (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Spacesong said:

Ok! I see it in the book now. The Ability Scores section cleared up my confusion on what the full attack formula was.

So to clarify I'm understanding: specializing in spear would allow missile attacks be done with a +2 and bonus damage since that's a DEX attack roll.

I understand why Necrotic Gnome did it, but having the two formats, the boxed sets and the 'tomes' can make it difficult to exchange information by page references when the two parties have the different sets! 😀

Specialization provides a flat +1 to ATK and +1 DMG to the weapon. That's a flat rider on top of how STR or DEX affects the melee/thrown/ranged weapon ATK and DMG.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

Just now, Vedast said:

I understand why Necrotic Gnome did it, but having the two formats, the boxed sets and the 'tomes' can make it difficult to exchange information by page references.

Specialization provides a flat +1 to ATK and +1 DMG to the weapon. That's a flat rider on top of how STR or DEX affects the melee/thrown/ranged weapon ATK and DMG.

Yeah, I found the damage roll rules after posting my clarification and edited the above. lol

The organization on rules that relate to one another is a lil' all over. haha

16 minutes ago, Vedast said:

I think we need @prophane to specify whether STR applies to thrown weapon damage. I couldn't find any specific reference in the CF or AF books.

Says this in the Players Tome.

image.png.23644834eb14392486553440947f5804.png

EDIT: Further review -- if I'm throwing my spear at short range I'd get an additional +1 to the throw. Cool!
image.png.1b324a298555361f5dd715ccd4b1036d.png

Edited by Spacesong (see edit history)

Ozemur the Skald

Armor Class 14HP: 15/15 | Abilities | Saving Throws |Weapons | Skills & Abilities | Encounters | Items |Money

image.png.2cfeb15fb0a614bca7433aeb525061d0.png

IC stuff here.

OOC

OOC stuff goes here.

Just testing the frame.

Edited by Dixi (see edit history)

Actually guys, I think I am going to bow out. The game looks super fun but I don't think I'm going to have enough time for it. Have fun!

@prophane thanks for the opportunity to join, I appreciate it! Good luck with the campaign.

1 hour ago, cailano said:

Actually guys, I think I am going to bow out. The game looks super fun but I don't think I'm going to have enough time for it. Have fun!

@prophane thanks for the opportunity to join, I appreciate it! Good luck with the campaign.

Sad to see ya have to dip out, but totally understandable not wanting to take on too much. I appreciate the consideration for everyone else.

FWIW -- it was one of your threads I found randomly via a google search that made me want to join MW! I was excited for the chance to play a game w/ you. I'm sure it'll come around and happen eventually especially if we both have an interest in OSR style games.

Take care, duder!

5 hours ago, cailano said:

Bummer, sorry to hear that but I totally understand and appreciate it.

Some other time, then.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Vedast said:

I think we need @prophane to specify whether STR applies to thrown weapon damage. I couldn't find any specific reference in the CF or AF books.

Yes STR modifies melee to hit and damage.

DEX modifies ranged to hit.

No attribute modifies ranged damage in this ruleset.

Weapon Specialization (2 proficiency slots from a martial character) gives +1 to hit and damage for that weapon.

Ranged attacks at short range give +1 to hit, medium range is no modifier, long range is -1 to hit

Edited by prophane (see edit history)

1 minute ago, prophane said:

Yes STR modifies melee to hit and damage.

DEX modifies ranged to hit.

No attribute modifies ranged damage in this ruleset.

Weapon Specialization (2 proficiency slots from a martial character) gives +1 to hit and damage for that weapon.

Ranged attacks at short range give +1 to hit, medium range is no modifier, long range is -1 to hit

👍

Personally I like STR to modify all damage, but we'll be sticking as close to the OSE rules as possible.

I generally prefer a much more complex rule set (which is why I play GURPS) but that's not for here and now