OOC discussion

prophane

5 hours ago, cailano said:

Actually guys, I think I am going to bow out. The game looks super fun but I don't think I'm going to have enough time for it. Have fun!

Well rats. I was looking forward to playing along with you as PCs, in particular, having a melee barbarian clobbering buddy.

Good luck though, with your other projects.

21 minutes ago, Spacesong said:

Aw yeah!

Who want's their classes THAC0 matrix screen shot for them to celebrate? 😂

Looks like we're using AAC so we don't need THAC0. 😀 Everyone at 3rd level has a +0 "attack bonus." Only beginning at 4th level do the martials begin to diverge from the semi-martials from the non-martials.

I (and MG) play in a Hyperborea 3E game that does use DAC. The two of us diverge on the merits of DAC, but there is a nice die roll construct that returns the AC hit which allows the Referee simply to compare vs. the monster AC. yourTHAC0 - (1d20+yourbonuses) => lowest AC hit.

So if your THAC0 is 17, say, and you roll a 13 and have a +2 bonus (for whatever reasons) => 17 - (13+2) = 2. So you hit AC = 2 or worse (higher).

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, Vedast said:

Looks like we're using AAC so we don't need THAC0. Everyone at 3rd level has a +0 "attack bonus." Only beginning at 4th level do the martials begin to diverge from the semi-martials from the non-martials.

I (and MG) play in a Hyperborea 3E game that does use DAC. The two of us diverge on the merits of DAC, but there is a nice die roll construct that returns the AC hit which allows the Referee simply to compare vs. the monster AC. yourTHAC0 - (1d20+yourbonuses) => lowest AC hit.

So if your THAC0 is 17, say, and you roll a 13 and have a +2 bonus (for whatever reasons) => 17 - (13+2) = 2. So you hit AC = 2 or worse (higher).

Oh yeah, I'm aware of the modified AC rules in use here. But, you know! Mostly for the novelty of the B/X-ness of OSE and the module! :D

1 minute ago, Spacesong said:

Oh yeah, I'm aware of the modified AC rules in use here. But, you know! Mostly for the novelty of the B/X-ness of OSE and the module! :D

Oh ... I'm a dedicated DAC nerd! I'm all for it.

Funny thing: I used D&D dice and DAC to teach my (young) stepson how to work through arithmetic including negative numbers. Stuff like "the blue d10 is positive and the red d10 is negative." He'd roll and we went through adding them (by way he learned about the commutation of addition) but then we'd subtract them, blue minus red; red minus blue. It was actually quite amazing how quickly he picked up on it - I think having the idea that the dice were connected to a game made him eager to work it out.

spacer.pngspacer.png

HP 14/14 | AC 15 | Save vs. D12 W13 P14 B15 S16 | SkillsOpen Doors 2:6
Surprise Foes 4:6
Surprised 1:10
Tracking Indoors 65% & Outdoors 90%
Climb Surfaces 87%
Pick Locks 33%
Move Silently 27%
Hide 20%
| Move 40' | AttacksScramasax Sword +0 1d8
Somekinnabow +2 ?

IC stuff goes here.

Speech in this color, thoughts in italic.

42 minutes ago, Vedast said:

Oh ... I'm a dedicated DAC nerd! I'm all for it.

Funny thing: I used D&D dice and DAC to teach my (young) stepson how to work through arithmetic including negative numbers. Stuff like "the blue d10 is positive and the red d10 is negative." He'd roll and we went through adding them (by way he learned about the commutation of addition) but then we'd subtract them, blue minus red; red minus blue. It was actually quite amazing how quickly he picked up on it - I think having the idea that the dice were connected to a game made him eager to work it out.

Very cute story. :) Games as motivation help a lot with learning.

Also no idea if my private formatting worked in the last post. Let me know if not, I'll just DM that if need be. Looking forward to the hijinks and viking drama here!

FYI

we have some nasty weather coming through for a while: based on what I've heard, power outages are widespread and so I might lose power at some point.

Just row along for Falki if it seems that I haven't posted in a timely fashion.

22 minutes ago, prophane said:

Hope you're weathering the storm safely

Fortunately, a tornado warning just to our west (earlier) expired. The worst band of rain/wind just went through half an hour ago, but fortunately only a power flicker.

Lots of folks elsewhere, though, had it much worse.

Anyway, just wanted to give notice in case I wasn't able to post for a while.

what region are you in? I too live in tornado land, though we're dealing with ice/snow/rain/slush at the moment, we have known snownadoes here in Missouri before.

7 minutes ago, prophane said:

what region are you in? I too live in tornado land, though we're dealing with ice/snow/rain/slush at the moment, we have known snownadoes here in Missouri before.

NC

Tornadoes are, fortunately, a rarity here. Typically, the problem is downing of pine trees rather than the widespread devastation suffered in the midwest and the plains states. Lived in TX, SD, MN at different times, though, so know about the weather in those areas.