OOC discussion

prophane

So since we're all playing pre-made chars we didn't roll up ourselves, didn't collaborate on the creation of, and didn't come up on our own the characters are currently kind of blank slates! I was thinking maybe we could fill some blanks with some OOC discussion. Things like: how do we know one another? What are our interpersonal histories? (note in hindsight: This ended up being way longer than I anticipated when I started. Ended up thinking about how cool the other characters are and wound up saying... uhh... all that down there. 😬 I say "we," but feel free to just ignore me too lmao. whoopswhoopswhoops! 😂)

So the facts I know about Reignleif are: warrior, married, fisherwoman, but evidently has an urge to relight the flames of her warrior heart. Based on her name I understand she seems as lucky as she is capable.

So I'm thinking her overall personality is that friendly, loyal and protective. But maybe an over reliance on the blunt teasing given her history of having to share many a night at the campfire with the types of dudes who headbutt each other for fun.

Things I haven't quite figured out are: who her husband is. Name, what he does. That sorta stuff.

As for the folks in the party I figure her, Falki and Svend have many years of history fighting, traveling and working together. Her and Falki are united not just in battle, but in profession as well. Ya figure a fisherwoman has to be friendly with her local ship builder to a degree. This applies to the other warriors on the ship, but I've been thinking mostly about Falki. IDK. Just feels like there could be a longer history there. Æsbiorn Ljotsson is also someone she has a great deal of respect, and maybe even a little (just a little) fear for. Guy's bit of a loose canon from what I can tell based on description and how the GM's playing him so far.

With folks like Ozemur and Valthjofr it's more akin to like... her musician friend and the local healer and ritualist. Maybe not the closest but willing to give them a full look at her personality due to the comfort and confidence of being on mission with Falki and Svend. For people who share culture and myth like these two she has this very flippant, but obvious love and respect for what it is they do. It's like a playful heckling. She's a woman of the arts and a skald and myth keeper's place is just as important to her as the weapon's she wields on a journey like this. There has to have been battles or evenings where her spirit was incredibly low. Not every battle won was a battle where her side walked away unwounded. In these times she looked at what she lost and would end up feeling low despite knowing full well how fortunate she was. The things she'd find solace in were the songs from the skalds and myths from the acolytes.

For Yngvildr I have to wonder what the history is there if any. I'm playing it from a place of like: Reignleif has heard the stories about her, what her deal is, the dust ups and challenges she faces around the village. And I have to think she would feel some level of sympathy. And given the current situation she's often used to having a very close, sisterly bond with her sisters in battle. So having another woman along for something that's so close to home for her is like... well this is new and a bit scary. She doesn't know what Yngvildr can do. Is she a liability? Is she actually every bit the warrior as the rest of us? Whatever the case Reignleif is going to try to build that bond. What else can she do? This is the way of survival to her. And if nothing else, it's her idea of how she can get through to her fellow shield maiden.

With Young Haldor, I'm not so certain what the dynamics are like there. Like he's new. He's inexperienced. He's the Jarl's kid. We literally can't bad mouth him cuz he's, very likely, the next in line of succession. Kinda depends on how he gets fleshed out as we go.

Just some things that I been thinking about the game. I am... probably doing too much for this silly OSR one-shot. lmao But still a fun creative exercise! Viking fiction really gets my mental juices flowing. I dig this little story here so far! The characters are simple but this is the stuff I feel was worth looking at and filling the blanks on based on what we know. Mostly sharing in hopes my enthusiasm at least gets others jazzed too!

Edited by Spacesong (see edit history)

that's a great idea. I think that can also be brought out through in-character posts. I like the inner monologue style posts for that, have your character think of things, and while the other characters wouldn't know what's going on, the PLAYERS can read it and get ideas for background.

As for Reignlief, I believe her husband has recently passed, his name was Frode and was considered clever, though he is gone now after being married for 20 years. Draengr introduced the two of you...

As far as where the group comes from, I expect that the settlement they're from isn't all that large, they all know each other somewhat, at least know OF each other well enough to agree to do this. Yes, Haldor is the Jarl's kid, so he at least THINKS he's the leader, though I would believe that Falki is real leader, guess that just depends on if folk follow him. This was something of a volunteer mission so there's no real captain or leader (that and it's a rpg so everyone can do what they want)

I think your take on the NPCs is pretty right on, though.

Ok, after 1am for me, Im tired, hitting the sack. let's see what's next. Carry on, crew!

Would agree on forming relationships in-game.

Maybe we can start with our relations with Drængr? Or even from the Viking culture as DM sees it? I promised not to impose my knowledge of it on the game but since I based Ozemur's personality on one particular trait I'll mention it once.

Raiding Vikings (those actually sailing around, robbing, and pillaging the settlements) were warriors first and anything else second. Until said otherwise, this is how I saw Ozemur (since he is mine and we did not discuss it beforehand) and he would very much appreciate it if Reignleif stopped calling him "musical friend". He is a skald - a warrior poet (emphasis on "warrior"), not a 5e bard. He also (for now) sees others in this light - warriors on the mission who also possess other survival skills.

If I am terribly wrong with my assumptions, please, @prophane stop me right here (after all, you envisioned Ozemur) and I switch to the "common bard" mod.

As for Drængr, we know:

1. Haldor (NPC), the nephew of Drængr Thar, adores him and is hungry to become a renowned raider like him. Can be the one who organized the rescue. If so, technically, our leader.

Fighter. Fights with a War Axe and Hunting Bow

2. Æsbiorn Ljotsson (NPC), the Bear, a friend of Drængr Thar. Owns him a debt of a long unwavering friendship. Here to finally repay his long-standing debt and bring him back home.

Barbarian. Fights with a polearm and a spear, has wilderness survival skills and is uncomfortable with magic.

3. Svend Trygg (NPC), the raider, is a loyal survivor, the one who made it to the town and told about Drængr Thar’s fate.

Ranger with 14 HP. Fights with a Scramasax sword and dagger. He can track and is good at wilderness survival.

4. Reginleif the Unscarred (Spacesong), knows Drængr Thar as a great leader, raided with him five times very successfully, and was introduced by him to her late husband. A fearless and renowned shieldmaiden, looking to get back into the action.

Fighter. Fights with a broadsword and short spear.

5. Yngvildr the Outcast (Malkavian Grin) was rescued by Dræengr Thar from years of slavery.

Scout. Fights with a scramasax sword and a short bow. She is fast and can track, climb, and surprise foes.

6. Valthjofr God-Marked (Morphling) Dræengr Thar declared her - an outcast - an “old jarl”, giving great influence and authority.

Acolyte. Fights with a javelin and sling. She can use some mystic abilities like healing, blessings, and undead turning.

7. Falki the Red (Vedast) built Dræengr Thar’s longboat and equipped his men.

Fighter. with 19 HP. Fights with a long axe, a throwing axe, and a bow (1d6 50/100/150, 2h).

8. Ozemur the Skald (Dixi) never raided with Drængr but sang many tales about his exploits in seasons past and hopes to compose an epic about this one. No matter the outcome, had to be there to witness it firsthand in order to do the story justice.

Bard. Fights with a handaxe, crossbow, songs and magic.

With that said, seems like NPCs are here out of duty (relative, close friend, subordinate), Reginleif, Yngvild, Valthjofr - out of gratitude, Falki is kind of out of paternal view "This is not happening with my best boys, not on my watch", and Ozemur is dew to professional curiosity.

Seems reasonable for all of us to know at least about each other, but for sure, specifically, everyone should know Haldor (Jarl's nephew), Falki (sort of Godfather of the raiders), Valthjorf ("old jarl"), Æsbiorn (local drunkard and troublemaker) and maybe Ozemur (for the tales).

I suspect in the current party Æsbiorn should be a bit wary of Valthjorf and Ozemur because of their magic. Also think, we all did not sail together before and learn to work together.

Edited by Dixi (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Dixi said:

Seems reasonable for all of us to know at least about each other, but for sure, specifically, everyone should know Haldor (Jarl's nephew), Falki (sort of Godfather of the raiders), Valthjorf ("old jarl"), Æsbiorn (local drunkard and troublemaker) and maybe Ozemur (for the tales).

I'd like to add that Yngvildr is named the Outcast for a reason. She was taken during a raid meaning she failed as a warrior (in a warrior-centric culture). She should be being questioned on her ability. I'm surprised she wasn't thrown off the rudder after the first failure.

I would guess that literally everyone in the village, minus her immediate family, questions whether Yngvildr is capable. Whether they should waste their time on her or not. I would think that includes the PCs, which is why Reginleif's accepting attitude is confusing her. I imagine Yngvildr also as having PTSD and still not understanding what it means to be free.

12 hours ago, prophane said:

As for Reignlief, I believe her husband has recently passed, his name was Frode and was considered clever, though he is gone now after being married for 20 years. Draengr introduced the two of you...

Ah, the name I didn't catch if it was written previously. The part that he was dead escaped me too, and also changes A LOT! I'll keep that in mind.

5 hours ago, Dixi said:

Raiding Vikings (those actually sailing around, robbing, and pillaging the settlements) were warriors first and anything else second. Until said otherwise, this is how I saw Ozemur (since he is mine and we did not discuss it beforehand) and he would very much appreciate it if Reignleif stopped calling him "musical friend". He is a skald - a warrior poet (emphasis on "warrior"), not a 5e bard. He also (for now) sees others in this light - warriors on the mission who also possess other survival skills.

See I always understood skald's to be musical. But even then bards are more than just musicians. The portrait might have deceived me considering he's playing right in it. lol I can change the playful prodding to being about poetry. 😂

5 hours ago, Dixi said:

With that said, seems like NPCs are here out of duty (relative, close friend, subordinate), Reginleif, Yngvild, Valthjofr - out of gratitude, Falki is kind of out of paternal view "This is not happening with my best boys, not on my watch", and Ozemur is dew to professional curiosity.

I suspect in the current party Æsbiorn should be a bit wary of Valthjorf and Ozemur because of their magic. Also think, we all did not sail together before and learn to work together.

That all makes sense to me. This is a mission coming from a place of everyone having a deep concern for someone great. Falki, Svend and Reignleif are all familiar. Everyone else are roughly acquaintances at best. A lot of the stuff is just her trying to break the ice and get folks a bit off edge that I assume they're all feeling to differing levels.

58 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

which is why Reginleif's accepting attitude is confusing her.

I thought it might be. Sorry if that came off as me skipping important info. Not my intent! It's heavy stuff Yngvildr is struggling with and this is definitely an interesting scenario to find herself in. If the context was different than "saving one of the most important friends in her life" then she might be less warm towards Yngvildr, I think. It's not implicit acceptance. It's a matter of just trying to get the party to be focused and open to communicating, even if it's giving each other playful jabs. The severity of everything is living inside her head. So to me it's the several days of travel, seeing a team member keeping distant, and knowing that bonds are what can keep morale and attentions on what matters is leading her to want to at least try and connect.

Weather that is successful is another matter.

All of the above, though, is how she's coping with the stress and speculation of what the team is walking into.

2 hours ago, Spacesong said:

Ah, the name I didn't catch if it was written previously. The part that he was dead escaped me too, and also changes A LOT! I'll keep that in mind

On the characters thread, I put a short paragraph about each character. It is also printed at the bottom of each character sheet in the tan box. This tells a bit of background and the connection each character has with Mr McGuffin (Draengr Thar) everyone has a very personal connection, except the Skald actually, though he's known him plenty to get the info for all the sings and tales he's composed.

18 minutes ago, prophane said:

On the characters thread, I put a short paragraph about each character. It is also printed at the bottom of each character sheet in the tan box. This tells a bit of background and the connection each character has with Mr McGuffin (Draengr Thar) everyone has a very personal connection, except the Skald actually, though he's known him plenty to get the info for all the sings and tales he's composed.

Ya know I read that IDK how many times and no idea why my idiot brain blanked on him being "late husband, Frode" lmao

EDIT: And don't worry I internalized the rest. Just waiting for it to be more relevant (and am waiting on Valthjofr to reply to add my bit for this current scene.) to bring that up.

Edited by Spacesong (see edit history)