2 - On the Road to the Tomb

Sellsword

One could almost forget that they are on a quest to save the leader of Daggerdale, so calm are the plains as you leave the Tethyamar Trail behind and head northwest, electing for the most direct route to the Giant's Craw Valley. The sky is clear and sun bright, and except for a cutting wind that occasionally threatens to topple you from your mount, the passage is relatively easy and uninterrupted. You are given little time to banter, though. While the mounts must carefully pick their way across the broken ground, your progress is quick and you are jostled in your saddle as the horses turn to avoid loose stones or uneven areas. You make excellent time, the only unexpected company on your trip being the occasional wild horse or prowling mountain cat spotted far off in the distance.

image.png.2e237a27083b28ce3754f6d10ee8b2ed.png

The first evening passes uneventfully, and by mid-morning the second day you have clearly left the open plains and entered the foothills of the Desertmouth Mountains. Your passage slows somewhat as the ground becomes more uneven, and as you scout ahead for threats that may behind ridges small hills, but again you pass an entire day of travel without interruption. You startle several hares and other small animals that are easily dropped with sling stones and arrows, filling your pots when you stop for meals. All in all, spirits are high, and you begin to keep watch for the first signs of the Giant's Craw in the distance. Unfortunately, as the terrain becomes more rugged and as the rolling foothills transition into craggy peaks, you see no sign of it when the sun begins to set on the second day.

Before you consider areas to make camp, however, you see something that makes your stomach sink. As you round the base of one of the smaller mountains, you see what clearly looks like a fortification situated atop a ridge. Even staying clear of the trails is no guarantee to avoid the vagabonds who infest these hills. While you're able to regroup and pull back into cover quickly, it's impossible to be sure that there are not watchers who may have seen one or more of you, if only for a few moments.

image.png.d8f4625e1d26da50b2e1c5f01f0d1a25.png

OOC: The encampment is not close--perhaps a quarter of a mile separates you, and you're currently in a "safe" area with ample cover, enough that you feel comfortable that you're currently out of sight. There is perhaps another half hour of light by which you can safely navigate the terrain, beyond that there's some risk involved unless you decide to hunker down or light torches and such. Backtracking and seeking a wider path--out of view of the encampment, or as much as you can manage--is an option as well.

It's elevated on the ridge, giving anyone who may have been watching a good vantage point. The rocky screes and ridges make a direct approach difficult, but you can see that there is somewhat of a trail leading up to the camp from either end.

Kordannaghlan Penniesaver (gnome f2/th3) AC 09 Hp 16 short bow thac0 19

"Hunker down out of sight for the night, then best speed past them in the morning? Think the camp's within arrowshot as we pass? If we could all see in the dark, i'd say pass them in the night."

16 minutes ago, cybersavant said:

Kordannaghlan Penniesaver (gnome f2/th3) AC 09 Hp 16 short bow thac0 19

"Hunker down out of sight for the night, then best speed past them in the morning? Think the camp's within arrowshot as we pass? If we could all see in the dark, i'd say pass them in the night."

Lirion Eldermist

a-portrait-of-a-handsome-broad-face-strong-jaw-male-wood--within-the-dark-forest-ancient-forest-ma-892709752.png.5db6fe12f4a24992101cb28af62bf701.png

"wise enough stopping now... those of us able to pierce the darkness can silently approach in the night, to see who resides there. We muste be darker than shadows" looking at Valandir "...but this can be done"

Mandons2.jpg.7cd23019d3e959152beb498115472025.jpg

"I like Lirion's idea of sending up some scouts to check 'em out under cover of night. Course, we don't know if they've already spotted us, but if they have I'd guess we'll either find out pretty quickly if they come charging down at us, or they'll also be planning a night-time sortie, so our scouts should give us at least a little advance warning of that."

"Looks like we only have a little light remaining, so Kord's idea to camp seems sound, particularly for those of us who can't see in the dark. But I'd suggest we at least move back a ways, perhaps up in that cluster of rocks over there, where we'd be better able to defend if they do mount a raid on us. No fires tonight, and best keep the animals quiet too, if we can."

2 hours ago, stonedzep said:

Lirion Eldermist

a-portrait-of-a-handsome-broad-face-strong-jaw-male-wood--within-the-dark-forest-ancient-forest-ma-892709752.png.5db6fe12f4a24992101cb28af62bf701.png

"wise enough stopping now... those of us able to pierce the darkness can silently approach in the night, to see who resides there. We muste be darker than shadows" looking at Valandir "...but this can be done"

image.png.151b17ddb7b385a69020a1d6c0d96023.png

"Agreed, Jack, and Kordannaghlan should also come with us," Valandil affirms, his voice carrying a note of determination as he considers the inclusion of the additional companions.

Dismounting his horse, he moves with practiced stealth, crawling up onto a nearby rock to gain a better vantage point of the camp while remaining hidden from view. From his elevated position, he carefully observes the surroundings, taking in every detail and assessing any potential threats or obstacles that may lie ahead.

Once he has gathered all the information he can, Valandil gracefully descends from the rock and rejoins the group, his movements fluid and silent. "Mandons has a good idea," he agrees, nodding in approval. "Those rocks will make a very good spot to camp."

image.png.25d22583741ad03e1f5c67848ce81435.pngJack Coldwater

HP: 23/23 AC: 6

Jack doesn't find dark cultists all that remarkable--dark cultists are a silver piece a dozen where he's from. He peers off the edge of Mandon's horse at the perilous drop to the ground. "No point in worrying about those dragon freaks unless they make themselves something to worry about. I agree getting this mission over with faster would be preferable--the short road would be better."

OOC

Lirion, Valandil & Kordannaghlan

The shadows lengthen as the sun sets, and with the dying of the light you prepare to scout the encampment and determine the level of threat. You divest yourself of any unneeded gear, leaving it with the others and the mounts, to make traversing the rocky terrain as easy as possible. You slip into the shadows like a trio of ghosts, quickly and silently stalking away from the camp towards the enemy encampment.

image.jpeg.c8b081a7c07632ee5430f33ac8ec5794.jpeg

Even from a distance, you can see the glow of several campfires within the camp. There is one larger campfire situated roughly in the center, with two other smaller campfires, each perhaps 15 or 20 yards from the center. You can pick out the shadowy silhouettes of peaked tents arranged around the campfires, and jagged shadows of the sharpened poles that form a stakewall around the camp. As you get closer, you can hear the shuffling and whickering of several horses within the camp.

Gifted with infravision, you each track the progress of the others as you scale up rocky ridges and inclines towards the camp. The occasional trickle of dust and small stones behind you is the only sound you make, the only sign of your presence at all. Cover is ample as you stalk closer and closer, until you detect the presence of a guard at the edge of your vision. Mostly protected by the palisade, you see a single guard at the edge of the camp pacing back and forth. Occasionally, you see the figure expose more of his torso, as if peeking over the palisade for a better view. He seems completely unaware of your presence. Shifting your vision to look deeper into the camp, illuminated by the campfires, you see the silhouettes of several other figures--perhaps 4 or 5 altogether. They are moving about the camp actively, shadows disappearing as quickly as they appear as the figures move between tents.

OOC: The figure along the stakewall is at the edge of your infravision, so 60 feet from your present position. The others are deeper into the encampment and scattered, they could be anywhere from 120 to 240 feet away.

Mandons, Amarandé, Theoath, Tymas & Jack

Adrenaline pumping helps stave off the worst of the chill as you wait for the others. Though not cold, the wind which as persisted throughout your travel rips through the hills, cutting through your outer layers of clothing. You do your best to keep the mounts calm, careful not to move about too much for fear of stumbling into one another and alerting others of your presence. The mounts are, thankfully, cooperative in that regard.

Several long minutes have passed since the elves and gnome left, and you worry for their safety anxiously, eager to hear what they have to report. Every click of a horse's hoof or scatter of stone pierces the silence, amplifying the anxiety.

The hounds, quiet until now, stand at attention at a sound in the distance. Not in the direction of the encampent--rather from the rocks ahead of you along the path you had been taking. There is another sound behind you, also far off, and the dogs begin to growl, one of them letting out a low, threatening bark. Someone--or something--stalks the hills at night. Jack confirms your suspicions--listening carefully, he detects movement on either side of your position, though not yet close. 90 feet, perhaps more--whatever it is, it was trying to mask the sound of its movement, but was unable to do so successfully.

The clouds, moving quickly, uncover the moon for a moment and you'll able to perceive a shadowy figure, visible only for the briefest of moments before it disappears behind another rock. The moonlight reflect dully over a long, shiny blade. You hear a male voice call out a curse from the dark ahead, voice low, rough, and perhaps a little hoarse.

image.jpeg.5d5951482c9d578d3f9bb05ee90d0d97.jpeg

"Another patrol from Daggerdale?" the voice questions, obvious disdain in his tone. "Thought me and the boys might pay you a visit, see what you might be up to in our hills." There's obvious threat in his voice. At hearing the voice call out, there's more scrambling in the night, revealing a third potential threat, this one also behind you not far from the other.

OOC: At least two distinct noises revealing threats behind you, as well as the figure ahead. He was visible only for a moment, not long enough to target, and has again disappeared behind a stone. Figure 90 to 120 feet for between your present location and each of the potential threats.

Mandons2.jpg.7cd23019d3e959152beb498115472025.jpg

"Well, we'd hoped to just pass you by without the need for a song and dance, but it seems we're as bad at sneaking as you are," replies Mandons in a clear and cheerful voice. "Now that we're both aware of each other, I guess we need to decide whether to fight it out or agree to keep a kind of truce."

"Personally, it's been a long day and I could do without having to kill any more brigands just yet, but I guess it all depends on how eager you are to try us out, I suppose. Do you think you've brought enough men along to make it interesting?"

OOC: Mandons isn't being quiet, hoping that the elves and Kord might hear the discourse and come to help. He isn't feeling as confident as he's sounding, but he hopes the brigands might be given pause by a show of confidence. We shall see!

Edited by Lord Foul (see edit history)

THEOATH GRANGER, Paladin of Chauntea [3]

image.png.6812066c692a3b080c16faa0b5b677e0.png

Theo thought that maybe they would be discovered by scouts but hoped it would be much later than now. Apparently not. Best they get their introduction over with. Listening to Mandons' taunt he feels the need to add a little more subtext to his bravado. "I have to agree with the Swordmaster here. It is late for Killing Brigands, but ... if ye be fighting men of Randal Morn ... then The Old Mage sends his warmest regards. " He thought that maybe these scouts be resistance fighters of Randal Morn and was gambling they would recognize the nickname of the Sage of Shadowdale and take heart that reinforcements have arrived in the form of unknown adventurers.

OoC: The words that are Italicized in conversation are meant to be accentuated for conversational effect.

Could I use my charisma reaction to either give these "brigands" pause or give these "resistance fighters" encouragement? I' want to play both sides at the same time. If they be enemies I want to make them cause and doubt themselves and their abilities against us, and if they be resistance fighters I want to give them hope that powerful allies of Eliminster has arrived.

Adventuring Gear

image.png.f0d6c3f06904ae3c5f3ae9b3c114c442.pngRustic Hide Armor, Med. Shield, Holy Symbol, Assorted Clothing

Spear, Short Sword, Battle Axe, Footman's Mace,

Backpack, Large Sack, Winter Blanket, Flint & Steel, Whetstone, Rope, Winesink, Dry Rations (Wk), Torches (10),

Donkey "Jenny", Pack Saddle, Bit & Bridle, Hunting Dog "Dancer"

image.png.dba79c6631cc5aafc9f1c12676d811a8.png

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

1.jpg.b12b02209288ffd0d0862c1427fb0697.jpg

"Only Mystra knows if his regards can be considered warm by any means, although I'm sure he means well. I'd invite you to share our fire, although I'm sure your eyes are keen enough to pick up on our own manner of discretion." Amarandé stoops over slightly, soothingly running a hand down Korlar's back while preparing to cast a Sleep. While his infravision only extends to 60 ft., that should be plenty of warning to begin casting before they can close in on us.

Tymas calls out, "Let us be clear," adding to the comments the others in the party are making. "If you mean no harm, then show yourselves by the fire; but if instead you're looking for trouble, then in Helm's name you have most definitely found it." Tymas crouches down behind a large rock, hoping for at least a little cover in case these men have bows or throwing daggers. He clutches his sling in one hand, a rock ready for flinging in the other should the scouts -- or whoever they are -- choose to attack.

Lirion Eldermist

whispers to Valandil & Kordannaghlan "anything you recognize ? Fashion, signs or other things?"

Lirion puts all his efforts to try to identify anything that would give him a hint on who's camping there

OOC: maybe an intelligence roll or similar would awaken knowledge or lore on the camping party