Jade Talons: In Character : Chapter 1 - Mosswood

Aspekt

spacer.pngSarah Heart

Variant Human Hunter Ranger 2 | Coins 99 gp 5 sp 3 cp
HP 20/20 | AC 15 | Init +3 | PP 14 | Speed 30 ft | DV 0 ft
Hand Crossbow A:+7 D:1d6+3 piercing T:ammunition 40 (30/120 ft.), light, loading
Rapier A:+5 D:1d8+3 piercing T:finesse Whip A:+5 D:1d4+3 slashing T:finesse, reach
Inspiration 0d6 | Spells 1 ■■
Cart cart, 2 mules, 2 barrels of water, 6 gallons of ale, 1 bottle of common wine, 10 hunk of cheese, 3 two-person tent, 20 day animal feed

Sarah had several stories to share, but she was no storyteller. She lacked that spark that catches others attention. So she chose to listen instead of speak. At least if there was someone to tell their stories first.

Edited by Coruja (see edit history)

sherrin_token.png.6e2c433d1ef85e747c8483af0cfbd733.pngSherrin — Human Rogue 2 

AC:
HP:
Speed:

17/17
40 ft.

Strength:
Dexterity:
Constitution:

(+1)
(+3)
(+2)

Intelligence:
Wisdom:
Charisma:

(-1)
(+2)
(+0)

Languages
Combat Proficiencies
Tool Proficiencies

One night while the Jade Talons were traveling toward Mosswood, Sherrin tells a story of dubious veracity:

"I was staying at this guy's country house a few years back. He wasn't living there at the time, but I definitely had permission to be there. I get home one day and the front door's open. So I close the door and check the house; there's no one else there. That night, while I'm trying to sleep, the wind's howling, and I hear the front door slam open again. The wind is blowing it open and shut, open and shut, rhythmic-like. Then I realize it's not the door that's making the noise, it's footsteps. Someone's coming down the hall, right towards my bedroom." Sherrin is really getting into her story.

"I'm terrified, so I pull out the dagger I keep under my pillow. I sit there in bed, bracing myself for whatever's coming. The door of the bedroom bursts open and it's a troll! I swear its head—it looked like a rotten melon—almost reached the ceiling. It scanned the room and its red eyes stared right at me. Its slack-jawed mouth had fangs"—Sherrin holds her hands about six inches apart for scale—"this long. I thought it was going to eat me. It clawed at the bedcovers, but I was too quick; I threw my dagger at its face and leapt right out the window. It was the second story; luckily, I landed in a bush. When I came back the next day with my friend, there was no sign of the troll."

Actions

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Item Interaction:

Stat Block

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2876702]Sherrin[/url][/b] [i]Human (Variant) Rogue 2 CN[/i] [b]AC[/b] 15 [b]HP[/b] 17 [b]Speed[/b] 40ft [b]Str[/b] 12 (1) [b]Dex[/b] 16 (3) [b]Con[/b] 14 (2) [b]Wis[/b] 14 (2) [b]Int[/b] 8 (-1) [b]Cha[/b] 10 (0) [b]Attacks[/b] [b]Shortsword (Pierce/5 ft.)[/b] +5 1d6+3 [b]Dagger (Pierce/5 ft./20 ft.(60 ft.))[/b] +5 1d4+3 [b]Dart (Pierce/20 ft.(60ft.))[/b] +5 1d4+3 [b][/b] [b][/b] Rogue Features: Sneak Attack: 1d6 -- PHB, pg. 96 Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll. Cunning Action: Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action. Expertise -- Sleight of Hand, Perception Racial Traits: Feat: Mobile PHB, pg. 168 Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not. Background: Criminal / Spy Feature: Criminal Contact You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.
Sherrin
Human (Variant) Rogue 2 CN

AC 15 HP 17 Speed 40ft

Str 12 (1) Dex 16 (3) Con 14 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 8 (-1) Cha 10 (0)

Attacks
Shortsword (Pierce/5 ft.) +5 1d6+3
Dagger (Pierce/5 ft./20 ft.(60 ft.)) +5 1d4+3
Dart (Pierce/20 ft.(60ft.)) +5 1d4+3

Rogue Features:
Sneak Attack: 1d6 -- PHB, pg. 96
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Cunning Action: Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Expertise -- Sleight of Hand, Perception

Racial Traits:
Feat: Mobile PHB, pg. 168
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Background:
Criminal / Spy
Feature: Criminal Contact
You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

Inventory

Gp: 14 Sp: 7 Cp: 9

Equipped:

Slippers of Spider Climbing
Traveler's Clothes
Crowbar
Dagger (2)
Dart (20)
Shortsword
Signal Whistle
Studded Leather Armor
Thieves' Tools

Backpack:

Acid (1 vial)
Ball Bearings (bag of 1000)
Bedroll
Bell
Caltrops (10 bags of 20)
Candle (5)
Chalk (10 pieces)
Grappling Hook
Hammer
Hooded Lantern
Mess Kit
Oil (7 flasks)
Piton (10)
Rations (6 days)
Sack
Scroll/Map Case
Silk Rope (50 ft.)
String (10 ft.)
Tinderbox
Waterskin

Mule:

Bit and Bridle
Feed* (12 days)
Pack Saddle
Portable Ram

Saddlebags:

Blanket
Common Clothes (dark with hood)
Forgery Kit
Hempen Rope (50 ft.)
Manacles
Perfume (1 vial)
Playing Card Set
Soap
Shovel
Whetstone

Tevis Longfellow - Human Warlock

AC: 13 | HP: 15/15 | Saves: Str +0, Dex +2, Con +1, Int +2, Wis +1, Cha +5 | Passive Perception: 9 | Passive Insight: 9 | Init: +2 | Spell Slots: 2/2

Tevis wasn't particularly well-known for a storyteller. He only hoped that the Being's strange gifts extended to making his stories less boring. If not, at least everyone would sleep well. "Well, let's see, um. Ah! I'll tell you about the time the cats got loose in the Temple of Oghma's library! It was about a decade or so ago, now. I was assisting the local priest of Oghma with cataloging some books that had been given to them by a group of...well, I guess they were adventurers. One of the books had an image of a cat's head on the front cover, and I read a passage out of it. Apparently, the book itself had some inherent magic, and the passage I read summoned three cats!

"The cats were apparently feeling quite mischievous, as they immediately began climbing shelves and tables, and knocking books and other things on the floor. The priest and I spent a good half hour running around trying to make sure nothing broke, and to corral the cats. We'd succeeded at the former, but had failed miserably at the latter. We were out of ideas, and it was lunchtime, so I ran to get some fish. When I came back, all three cats came and gathered around me. I fed them each some fish, and then poof! They disappeared. Apparently, we just needed to feed them. We spent the rest of the day cleaning up, and I learned that you shouldn't read a book unless you know what it is."

OOC

A stern-faced woman looks back at Sarah from inside the house. Her eyes widen slightly, taking in the unusual appearance of a token_1-2.png.e51522c72329c9def27b1d37363de1bf.pngwoman with yellow eyes and fiery hair. The firepit in the middle of the main room is only embers, but the heat in the room is still opressive.

"Nothing better to do today then break into people's homes, eh? As though we haven't had enough this year, now we've got burglars coming in with the broad daylight!"

Hearing the group are part of the Silver Hawks she softens slightly.

"Oh, part of that lot then? Not enough of you around all ready? If you're looking for your friends, they passed through here about twenty days past. If you need a place to stay for a couple of nights we could put you up in one of the barns. They're nothing fancy, but they're dry and keep the worst of the night creatures out."

She glances over her shoulder, seeming to look for anyone who might overhear the conversation.

"Mosswood is your destination? That's bad business. Not a lot of people head out that way. They say they hear strange things in the night, and after what happened to those villagers nobody likes to spend more time in Mosswood then they need to. Why would you want to go to Mosswood? What are you looking for?"

OOC Notes

Since Sarah was the first to start a conversation here in the hamlet, we'll start with that scene. But please put a note in the OOC thread if there's a scene/question/action you'd like to make happen here in the hamlet and we'll make sure we get to that! My biggest worry is leaving someone behind if there's something they'd like to make happen.

spacer.pngSarah Heart

Hand Crossbow A:+7 D:1d6+3 piercing T:ammunition 40 (30/120 ft.), light, loading
Rapier A:+5 D:1d8+3 piercing T:finesse Whip A:+5 D:1d4+3 slashing T:finesse, reach
Cart cart, 2 mules, 2 barrels of water, 6 gallons of ale, 1 bottle of common wine, 10 hunk of cheese, 3 two-person tent, 20 day animal feed

That reaction was expected, and Sarah came prepared. She showed her letter of introduction from the abbey. "I'm a registered monster hunter, Sarah Heart, from the Saint Lady Heart abbey. Indeed, we are looking for the previous team who went after Mosswood. It's kind of you to offer a place for us. We gladly accept. Perhaps we can help you with our own skills? Are you having problems here with any kind of monsters or beasts?"

AC: 13 | HP: 15/15 | Saves: Str +0, Dex +2, Con +1, Int +2, Wis +1, Cha +5 | Passive Perception: 9 | Passive Insight: 9 | Init: +2 | Spell Slots: 2/2

Tevis gawks a moment as Sarah just marches right into a house and starts talking to the people in there. Hurriedly, he catches up to her and says, "Good morrow, ladies, and a lovely day it is. We do apologize for not knocking. My name is Tevis Longfellow. As my associate, Sarah said, we have been asked to look into the whereabouts of the last team of Silver Hawks who went to investigate Mosswood. You said they passed through here about twenty days past? Did they stay the night at all or just pass through?

I'm afraid we don't know all that much about Mosswood, apart from the fact that all the villagers just disappeared one winter. I have heard of something called 'Emberwind's Folly', however, that may be associated with Mosswood. As the closest village to Mosswood, did any rumors come through here at the time of the disappearance? Perhaps, when the first caravan of spring arrived, they saw some evidence of what had happened to them, or came back with stories to tell of the village?"

OOC

Let's see if I can talk some more information out of them. Persuasion

Edited by Phntm888 (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 4
Persuasion (advantage)
1d20+5 10

Sam was looking forward to getting to something close to civilization again. When they finally arrived at the small hamlet, he was not so sure there was any civilization, but it was still better than bouncing around in that cart, which in turn was better than walking the whole way, so he didn't dare complain.

When they arrived, some of his companions jumped right into conversations with the inhabitants of one of the houses. Sam chose to remain outside and see who and what was in this little cluster of humanity.

Hello friend, Sam called to a passer-by who was eyeing the newcomers. We're just passing through on our way to Mosswood. I hear some strange things have been going on down there.

samus_avitar.png.65f64cf0e7a42f2976c37f70c80422a3.png
Samus Fletcher
Rogue (1) / Sorcerer (1)

AC: 13 | HP: 10/10Init: +3 | PP: 14 | Speed: 25
Spell Slots: 1st 2 | Spell Attack: +4 | Spell DC: 12

Mechanics

ACTION

Action and important info goes here

BONUS ACTION

Bonus action and details go here

MOVE ACTION

Where you going?

MANIPULATION

Free item interaction here

Inventory

Common clothes (3 lbs)
Short Sword (2 lbs)
Shortbow (2 lbs)

Quiver (1 lb)
- 20x arrows (1 lb)

Bandolier (6.5 lbs)
- Pipe & pipeweed (1 lb)
- Thieves' Tools (1 lb)
- 2x Oil flasks (2 lbs)
- 2x Dagger (2 lbs)

Bag of Holding (15 lbs)
- Bedroll (7 lbs)
- 7x Rations (14 lbs)
- Waterskin (5 lbs)
- Fishing tackle (4 lbs)
- Scroll case (1 lb)
- Grappling hook (4 lbs)
- 2x Silk rope (50', 10 lbs)
- Mess kit (1 lb)
- 4x Oil flask (4)
- Deck of cards

- 20x arrows

Encumbrance
Weight: 30.5 lbs
Penalty: none

Spells

Ability CHA
Save DC 12
Attack +4

0 Cantrips

Mage Hand
Produce Flame
Minor Illusion
Shocking Grasp

1st Level Spells (2/2)

Disguise Self
Mage Armor

Edited by BigLee (see edit history)

hunter-small.png.0b79cc2c82e1a9ee0a013cb005c59b93.pngEira Fjelldis Human Druid 2

Hp: 17/17 | Ac: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: 15 | Insight: 15 | Investigation: 11
STRSave: -1
Athletics: -1
8, DEXSave: +2
Acrobatics +2
Slight of Hand +2
Stealth +2
14, CONSave: +2 14, INTSave: +3
Arcane +1
History +1
Investigation +1
Nature +1
Religion +1
12, WISSave: +5
Animal Handling +5
Insight +5
Perception +5
Medicine +3
Survival +5
16, CHASave: +0
Deception +0
Intimidation +0
Performance +0
Persuasion +0

Eira stayed with the mules and cart, she had looked over at the way these 'civilised' people acted, with no regard for the Spirits of Home or Hearth. Eira instead looked around the little hamlet, similar to so many that she and her parents had travelled through. She looked with a practised eye at the place, was there anything odd, or out of place?

She had a bad feeling, she didn't know why, but was reminded of the tales of Baba Yaga, and the coven of witches that her followers would form, She looked at the women again, just in case.

Sarah & Tevin & Sherrin

The woman looks back at the two of them. "We have problems just the same as everyone else. I think the worst of it is those damn bandits who stole our mine from us. We even scraped together the coin to 'buy' it from them, but they ended up going back on their deal. That's our territory, bought and paid for! But they just keep holding up in that mine like they still own the place. That's the downside of living outside the law, I suppose."

"The other Hawks didn't spend the night, which was odd enough with the weather being the way it is. They came into town in the late afternoon and asked around, then they talked with Old Hanna in her shack down by the river. They even looked like they'd stay with us, they lodged a pack-horse out in the square. But that night the town drunk went up to them talking about seeing some prophesy of doom and gloom, and by the time we got him settled back down, the three of them had slipped out in the commotion."

A couple of well placed follow-up questions from Sherrin work out the rumor that Old Hanna is said to have lived in Mosswood for some period of time back when it was inhabited.

Samus

Samus finds himself facing an older farmer who leans against his scythe, sharpening the blade ahead of the harvest. His sour face is completed by a frown and deep wrinkles on his brow. "Strange don't begin to cover it." He spits a big glob into the dirt next to him. "Things coming up in the night, taking livestock into the forest to get slaughtered. And these evil vapors that are bringing up weakness in some of the kids. Sometimes I think I made a bad decision bringing my family out here." He takes one more long look over the odd group and then trudges out to his fields.

Eira

This isn't the first frontier town you've been in. And nothing stands out as odd. But perhaps that's odd in and of itself? These small towns always have something going on, but it seems like even in the middle of the day the people here are jumpy. And the person talking to your friends seems hesitant to open up to them. Probably not a witch. But drawing on the old magic might be the only way to make sure. Maybe the creatures near here might be more forthcoming than the people, especially if you bribed them with a tasty treat.

Edited by Aspekt (see edit history)

spacer.pngSarah Heart

Bandits? Well, they did have a problem. Not the kind of problem Sarah was used to deal with, but a problem nonetheless.

"I can't promise anything right now, but I'll take this bandit situation to my colleagues when we assemble again. I thank you for your time."

Now they had to gather more information on that Old Hanna woman, the sole survivor of Mosswood.

"Could you point us the direction of Old Hanna's house?"

image.png.1a2995c0780ce667a7246e5ee4875ccf.pngYour group is directed down towards a shack that sits near the edge of a river that flows lazily past the town.

Outside the house, a woman who's so ancient she could only possibly be "Old Hanna" is carrying a small bundle of firewood towards her house from the nearby forestlands.

She eyes you warily as you get closer, but she stands her ground. It feels like being kid again, prepared for some old person to yell at you to get off their lawn.

"More of you, fah! Alright, what do you lot want to know? Going to run off towards that old shit-heap and get yourselves killed like your friends did?"

spacer.pngSarah Heart

Inspiration 0d6 | Spells 1 ■■ | Cart cart, 2 mules, 2 barrels of water, 6 gallons of ale, 1 bottle of common wine, 10 hunk of cheese, 3 two-person tent, 20 day animal feed.

Sarah held her gaze at the woman. She was a fine hardened elder. Somewhere else, she could make for a good town counselor. But this is this and that is that. Reality couldn't be changed, and they had a mission to accomplish. "Seems like you are indeed Old Hanna. I'm sorry to bother, but we were assigned to actually know the whereabouts and possibly rescue the last team. But since this mission does take us to Mosswood, would you care to share with us whatever knowledge you have of the place?"

sherrin_token.png.6e2c433d1ef85e747c8483af0cfbd733.pngSherrin — Human Rogue 2 

AC:
HP:
Speed:

17/17
40 ft.

Strength:
Dexterity:
Constitution:

(+1)
(+3)
(+2)

Intelligence:
Wisdom:
Charisma:

(-1)
(+2)
(+0)

Languages
Combat Proficiencies
Tool Proficiencies

"Sarah's exactly right, ma'am," Sherrin adds, "and we don't want to get ourselves killed in that 'old shit-heap,' as you call it. I'd like to know, if you don't mind sharing, what we can expect to find in Mosswood—like did you have bear problems out there or something?"

Actions

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Item Interaction:

Stat Block

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2876702]Sherrin[/url][/b] [i]Human (Variant) Rogue 2 CN[/i] [b]AC[/b] 15 [b]HP[/b] 17 [b]Speed[/b] 40ft [b]Str[/b] 12 (1) [b]Dex[/b] 16 (3) [b]Con[/b] 14 (2) [b]Wis[/b] 14 (2) [b]Int[/b] 8 (-1) [b]Cha[/b] 10 (0) [b]Attacks[/b] [b]Shortsword (Pierce/5 ft.)[/b] +5 1d6+3 [b]Dagger (Pierce/5 ft./20 ft.(60 ft.))[/b] +5 1d4+3 [b]Dart (Pierce/20 ft.(60ft.))[/b] +5 1d4+3 [b][/b] [b][/b] Rogue Features: Sneak Attack: 1d6 -- PHB, pg. 96 Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll. Cunning Action: Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action. Expertise -- Sleight of Hand, Perception Racial Traits: Feat: Mobile PHB, pg. 168 Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not. Background: Criminal / Spy Feature: Criminal Contact You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.
Sherrin
Human (Variant) Rogue 2 CN

AC 15 HP 17 Speed 40ft

Str 12 (1) Dex 16 (3) Con 14 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 8 (-1) Cha 10 (0)

Attacks
Shortsword (Pierce/5 ft.) +5 1d6+3
Dagger (Pierce/5 ft./20 ft.(60 ft.)) +5 1d4+3
Dart (Pierce/20 ft.(60ft.)) +5 1d4+3

Rogue Features:
Sneak Attack: 1d6 -- PHB, pg. 96
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Cunning Action: Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Expertise -- Sleight of Hand, Perception

Racial Traits:
Feat: Mobile PHB, pg. 168
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Background:
Criminal / Spy
Feature: Criminal Contact
You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

Inventory

Gp: 14 Sp: 7 Cp: 9

Equipped:

Slippers of Spider Climbing
Traveler's Clothes
Crowbar
Dagger (2)
Dart (20)
Shortsword
Signal Whistle
Studded Leather Armor
Thieves' Tools

Backpack:

Acid (1 vial)
Ball Bearings (bag of 1000)
Bedroll
Bell
Caltrops (10 bags of 20)
Candle (5)
Chalk (10 pieces)
Grappling Hook
Hammer
Hooded Lantern
Mess Kit
Oil (7 flasks)
Piton (10)
Rations (10 days)
Sack
Scroll/Map Case
Silk Rope (50 ft.)
String (10 ft.)
Tinderbox
Waterskin

Mule:

Bit and Bridle
Feed* (20 days)
Pack Saddle
Portable Ram

Saddlebags:

Blanket
Common Clothes (dark with hood)
Forgery Kit
Hempen Rope (50 ft.)
Manacles
Perfume (1 vial)
Playing Card Set
Soap
Shovel
Whetstone

Old Hanna was clearly someone who had lived a long life, and wasn't about to change her ways now. Still, she carried her own firewood, so she was likely stronger than she appeared. "Good day to you, Mistress. Do you require any assistance?"

OOC

TBD

At Tevis' offer of help, Hanna nods her head and shrugs the load of logs off her back and onto the ground.image.png.289d18a5f28f00b90bf522921125bc31.png

"Oh sure, you look like a strong young man, can you just put those inside on the woodpile next to the fireplace?"

(OOC: Tevis, DC 10 Athletics Check to carry this heavy bundle of logs)

She straightens, and her back pops and cracks when she puts her hands on her hips and stretches out. Old, but still strong.

"Oh sure, wolves and bears were always a problem. The first year we had a bear kick the door open in my house just to get at the honey we had saved up above the cook fire. But it wasn't bears that did that to my friends."

She peers at you all, trying to judger your character, and then reluctantly continues.

"I still don't like to talk about it. It's an unnatural thing, what happened there those years ago. I had been back to the Keri's Crossing, trading some elk hides, and I got caught up in the rain, even heavier than what we got yesterday. Delayed me getting back to Mosswood by a day, and I think that day saved my life. We had taken in a wanderer who had come out of the woods. He seemed harmless, just keep muttering on and on about how he had to 'kill the being' for someone and how he was trying to get out of some deal. Said he wanted back to his family. Anyways, he was staying in one of the houses near mine when I left town to go trade. But the night I came back into town, it was too quiet. Usually someone would be playing the fiddle, or chopping wood, or anything. But it was dead quiet. Made me suspicious, and I didn't yell out, I just tried to sneak up to my house and see what was going on."

There's a pause, as she gathers herself. Her eyes look off into the distance, seeing something that happened years ago.

"They were all standing around him. No light left in their eyes, just standing around that bloody stranger, in a circle, stock still. And as I watched, they just seemed to dissolve into some kind of black mist. Every one of them, even the children. And then when that strange man was the only one left standing there, he turned and looked right at me, seemed to know I'd been hiding and watching the whole time. His eyes were like portals into hell, they were. And then he just walked off into the forest."

She wipes her nose on the edge of a tattered sleeve and looks defiantly at you all.

"Well, believe it or don't, but that's what happened. Your friends there thought I was a crazy person, muttered about me having mush for brains all these years later. See what good it did them!"

DC 14 Arcana Check - Clues

People disappearing into smoke... that's some advanced magic. Almost sounds like a demonic curse gone wrong if you had to take a guess. Not something that any random person walking into the town could do. But at the same time, it might just be possible.

DC 14 Insight Check - Read Hanna

She seems like she's being honest. At least in her mind, this is exactly what happened. And looking at the way she carries herself and lives on her own, it seems like she's pretty aware of what's going on around her. She doesn't seem like the kind that would go around telling tall tales for no reason.

Hanna makes a judge of character

Edited by Aspekt (see edit history)
Name
Hanna makes a judge of character
1d20+3 3