OOC Chat: Chapter 1 - The Whispering Cairn

bwatford

Everyone go ahead and introduce yourselves to each other, check over each other's mechanics, prepare your posting templates, etc.

I should have a game thread up sometime on Monday and we will begin.

Hey guys! Thanks for the pick.

I pbp as a hobby because I love creative writing, but tend to ramble and not make sense 99% of the time. I also very much enjoy the creative problem solving aspects of trpgs in general.

Hey All. Many thanks for the invite @bwatford! Really looking forward to playing Alatia.

I'm in the UK - so excuse any spelling differences and strange posting hours. :)

So glad to be here! Thank you for the invite.

The idea to write "Who is Who in the Diamond Lake" is great! After all, most of us are already settled in the town and should have at least see each other before.

What a local would know about Thodin Eversharp:

Everyone knows this dwarf who is built like a granite boulder, taller and broader of shoulder than his kin. His hair and well-groomed full beard are fiery orange matching the twinkle his pale gray eyes. He is easy to laugh and smiles when he has nothing more to say showing his love of life. When working (which is almost every day), he wears a miner's helmet clearly signaling his profession and shoulders a full rucksack with even more gear strapped on the outside: waterskin, rope, shovel, pick, and a caged canary. His clothes are simple and utilitarian, except for a necklace with an amulet of a ruby embedded within a rock in the shape of a mountain.

He was born in Diamond Lake 50 years ago and has never left his uncle Ragnolin Dourstone who manages a successful mine. His mother (Ragnolin's sister) died of the pox 19 years ago, and Thodin wears her holy amulet of Ulaa the Stonewife and Her faithUlaa is the favorite god of dwarves, gnomes, and miners, and she loves them in turn. She loves craftsmanship and honest labor, favoring diligence and practice over natural talent, and despises greed and materialism. She loathes slavery most of all, a view she shares with her wife Tritherea. The generally avoids intervening in the affairs of others except in dire circumstances, preferring to let others choose their own paths through life. on his sleeve, but he does not wield his like a weapon or shield. Besides being an excellent miner, he cares for the welfare of his miners. For example, he has learned the language of his gnome miners to show respect.

His Fullbeard Day was last month, a big celebration thrown by his uncle. Since then, he's been asking around if anyone wants to explore around Diamond Lake, which is unusual for someone who has only known Diamond Lake.

Armando could have worked his debt in Thodin's family mine.

Allera and Thodin would know of each other. Thodin has delivered messages between Allustan and his uncle.

Sunny and Thodin would know of each other. Maybe, there was an incident requiring the guards at or near his family's mine.

Riffraff and Thodin would know of each other, because they've been in town so long. However, not interacted.

Alatia and Thodin would probably not know of each other.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

If I may... Short summary for each of our characters first (please, correct me if I am wrong with this take).

Alatia Carnwheat - Human Cleric, new to the city

Armando Railwalker - Forest gnome, River Warlock, a former convict in the mines, now often works as a porter for the Twilight Monastery.

Sunny, Human Berserker Barbarian, common in the Feral Dog Tavern, knows Sheriff Chubbin, sometimes called for to help with some rabble or scruff.

Thodin Eversharp, Dwarf Paladin, nephew of Ragnolin Dourstone (Dwarf mine manager, successful and has avoided trouble from other managers of DL).

"Riffraff", Ratfolk Rogue, lives and works in The Emporium (A brothel run by Zalamadra, which offers various forms of entertainment including a freak show and gambling).

Allera Lorabelis, Half-elven Wizard, apprentice of Allustan Neff (Wizard and brother of the Governor-Mayor, considered the smartest man in town. Forced into retirement from Greyhawk).

Allera appeared in Diamond Lake one day and after a brief stay in the Able Carter Coaching Inn went straight to Allustan Neff's house where she has lived as his apprentice ever since. She is a young half-elven woman with dark hair and golden-brown eyes. Pretty enough but a bit aloof in manners trying to look older than she is (her makeup is chosen for the same reason) - all part of the image of a mysterious wizard she is trying to keep.

As an apprentice to the governor's brother (rumoured even to be the main and only protector of the corrupt governor) she might be familiar with town politics and know people in power. Yet, it is unlikely she would be sent to handle truly rough matters.

Relations with others: Allera had met Alatia in the Able Carter Coaching Inn at least once by now. She could have heard about Sunny and sure seen her but was unlikely to know her personally, very unlikely ever ran into "Riffraff" or Armando, could know Thodin through his uncle or in case Thodin went as far in his inquiries as to go to Allustan Neff.

Edited by Dixi (see edit history)

OK, so...

Riffraff has lived in Diamond Lake for almost his whole life, having arrived here when Zalamandra and the Professor set up the Emporium about 10 years ago.

He's part of the freak show known as "The Gallery of Science", though He's been here so long that the regular visitors to the brothel and gaming tables don't bat an eyelid at his strange appearance.

He's a bit of a gambler and loves to play cards, always riffling a deck.

When out and about in town, he keeps himself hooded and tries to stay one step ahead of trouble.

He will certainly have crossed paths with Armando out on the streets, and I'm sure that since Sunny has been involved with Sheriff Chubbin, she will have chased him through the streets (and been led a merry dance) at least once or twice! Thodin and Allera are less likely to have met him (unless they have any secret vices, or they've had their purses cut when visiting town) and Alatia is what Riffraff would call "fresh meat"...he will play up his rodent heritage just to see if she'll squirm!

Great summaries.

Alatia hasn't been in Diamond Lake for long, but long enough to have walked around the town and have gotten her bearings. She would have paid a courteous visit to the Church of St Cuthbert, and have chatted to a few locals about daily life. The working man and woman are of great interest to her and so she would probably have crossed paths with Captain Oliver Trask - I imagine that they would find a common view on life. Otherwise the source of her knowledge of Diamond Lake would have been from Cuilla, the Able Carter Coaching Inn's barkeep, as well as just recently Glyndwr and Allera at the bar.

Most of all she is just excited to be out of Greyhawk. Though how long she will stay in Diamond Lake will depend on how long her purse lasts. When her coin runs out she'll have to start thinking about earning some coin, or possibly moving on.

Alatia's connection to the rest of the party: She may have heard about Sunny, if not directly then from the noise she makes in the evening and early hours(?). It's unlikely she would have met Thodin or Armando - unless either of them had shown interest in our Dawnfather, Pelor, or had visited the Able Carter Coaching Inn in the past few days.  Riffraff would have made an impression on her - they just met at the Inn but she hasn't had a chance to interact.

Would Ratfolk have been a commonish sight in the city of Greyhawk?

Edited by FireHound (see edit history)

Most of us are not, according to Demographics: Diamond Lake Population is 1,023 people, dominated by humans with small percentages of halflings, gnomes, and other races.