OOC Chat: Chapter 1 - The Whispering Cairn

bwatford

Sunny has been around only a few years.

While true she might help the Sheriff from time to time (because they both drink at the Dog) I'd like Sunny to have a bit more air of mystery. I tried to come up with a few rumors you might have heard or created yourself:

• 'Sunny? That woman's dwarf-blooded. Doubt she's a real Suel, probably some wizard jinxed polymorphed mountain mother.'
  • 'Sunny? Can tell she's a vet, way she carries herself. My guess? She either saw somethin' or did somethin' that no one ever should, now she's hiding out.'
  • 'Sunny? Must be an estranged heiress or somethin'. Where's she get the coin to drink all day and never work?'
  • 'Sunny? Doubt that's her real name. She's just sad really, not nearly enough charm to be a real con.'
  • 'Sunny? Full of demons that one. Heard her ramble jibberish all night long about some shooting stars. Thing is, no one could see them but her.'

Possible Connections:

Alatia - Might have consoled her during one of her mental episodes.
Armando - Not sure really, can't think of anything that isn't too forced...but I like the character's story.
Thodin - Likely know a lot of the same people, as Sunny is constant drinking buddies with the miners. I can totally see your (Jubal) idea about her helping guard at the mine sometime.
Riffraff - Might have stolen from Sunny, or plotted to, after hearing rumors about her endless purse.
Allera - Might have spotted Sunny's military insignia, and recognized it from her Greyhawk days as the CHF (Cairn Hills Force).

Starting game thread has been posted, the "Bookkeeping Spoiler" is still a work in process. The opening scene is designed to give you a chance to RP in character a bit before proceeding to the Whispering Cairn and diving off headlong into the adventure.

Yikes! That was something I meant to ask you about and totally forgot! Very sorry!

The math was based on Tasha's free distribution of available skill points. For half-elves, it is 2-1-1. Obviously, 2 went into Int, resulting in 17. Normally, you are supposed to (of course) add 1's to different stats, yet, with later books (including Tasha, afaik) you can put one of the 1's into the same stat as well and get your 18.

It's a stretch, and I had (and planned to!) to ask if you would allow such a thing. Will be perfectly fine to relocate it to another stat.

Once again, very sorry!

By the right of the first poster and one of the formal recruiters of the group, I pushed the recruiting to the next in line :) (Sorry, could not resist)

I used @FireHound 's (Alatia's) prompt from our prologue conversation before about adventuring. Technically, Thodin, could be asked too as one openly searching for adventure (and probably more familiar with more grounded folk as well).

If it does not work, just say a word and I'll fix the post.

Armando has been in Diamond Lake for a few years, but his time has not been spent climbing the social ladder or highlighted by any kind of significant event. There's likely lots of former debtors just shambling around town and taking up space, and Armando counts among them. He can be found begging on some corners from time to time or partaking in food lines when the temples open their doors to such things.

Thodin - Let's say he did work in one of Thodin's mines. At least some familiarity is fine. I'm guessing they have different viewpoints on each other too.

Riffraff - Not sure how much time Riffraff spends outside the Emporium, but it does sound like he might be part of the lower class enough for Armando. Ironically, Armando would be an easy mark if he actually had money enough to gamble it.

Allera - I'm happy to say they haven't met. There's maybe a fun interaction between Neff and the Monastery that might involve a couple of unlucky porter, but that feels forced.

Alatia - She seems very new to town. Armando isn't really on the welcoming committee for Diamond Lake.

Sunny - I know you mentioned not having a connection, but I like the idea of maybe Armando has had a few drinks on her tab when she gets too drunk to remember. But I would want confirm that with you before I played it up.

I think that makes Armando a very loose connection to two other characters and nothing with the other three. I'm content with that overlap.

@Basil_Bottletop Good for familiarity. Don't know what you mean "different viewpoints on each other too". Thodin would have been a kind but determined supervisor who didn't judge Armando for having to work his past as penitence. And would have celebrated his completion. I guess Armando would have a "different viewpoint" of the situation. Cheers

Marching order

Due to Alatia's current enthusiasm she'd mostly likely be near the front. Her high passive perception (18) is kind of linked to her enthusiatic mindset in that she wants to see and discover everything. So if no one objects, Position 2 for Alatia.