OOC Chat: Chapter 1 - The Whispering Cairn

bwatford

Allera can not do much (yet) as a wizard but if needed she can light a torch.

Interesting - the "arrow" points at the orange lamp, but the one flashing is the green one.

The 'joke' wasn't a joke, but I think the misunderstanding feels natural enough to leave it be -and also it's been referenced enough now to be a bad retcon. But I just thought I'd mention it OOCly that Armando has yet to do anything that suggests he's a jokester little gnome.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

Double Post!

I think this is the first time in the early game that we've stopped long enough in one place to see some real character personalities. It's nice. Some harmony and some disharmony makes the story more interesting.

If disagreements are a major concern, bring it up here too and maybe the other player(s) can help you finesse the scene or something. No one character is always going to be right, so the burden of such shouldn't weigh anyone down too harshly. In the early go of things, most players will default to old player habits while finding their character's voice and might end up doing stuff they eventually realize was kind of out of character for their concept. Or worse, they never get out of default mode and that just becomes their characters mode of operation forever and they get stuck in the cycle.

If there's something you need help finessing into a character arc, reach out to your tablemates for help. Most players would rather be a helper in a scene than an unwilling victim.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

And if I can be of assistance in any way then please let me know. I am trying to make sure you guys have plenty of "scenery" to chew on and things to do.

Well said, Basil. Hard to argue with any statement.

Not sure why I went with the anger (there had to be some reason when I typed it all in) but Allera answered seriously and did not suspect a joke. I mean, Armando can be sure that Allera does not see him as a jokester. I think eventually we all will figure out our characters and relationships between them.

23 minutes ago, MysteriousMiller said:

@bwatford before I make my next post, Armando is saying "trap", but has Riffraff noticed any kind of trigger? (22 Investigation roll)

That will be something I will include in the next update as I will have to look and not able right now.

If I understand correctly the green lantern is lit, and two of the alcoves are empty. The lights/alcoves being in the order of - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. One of the empty alcoves is indigo. Do we know what the other empty alcove colour is?

Alatia is currently examining the green lantern, with the idea that if its being lit by a torch (or similar device) that the torch could be moved to a different lantern - possibly the orange one.

The indigo lamp was just returned on the hook. The missing lamp is red.

Did Alatia share her observation about the sarcophagus being a pointing device that turned towards the orange corridor?

Edited by Dixi (see edit history)

Some random thoughts.

Shall we move the everburning torch to the orange lantern - the one that the sarcophagus is currently pointing to - as opposed to moving the sarcophagus to point to the green lantern?

And could there be any significance that the sarcophagus is pointing to the first alcove that doesn't have a lantern. i.e red lantern is missing. Trying to see some significance in that te sarcophagus only turns clockwise.

And are we in one of the lanterns locations, perhaps green.

I think someone proficient in Arcana should try to disable the magical trap, first.

I think we should turn the sarcophagus into an alcove with a lit lantern. Because the trigger is more likely the motion of the dias than the illumination. Besides, if you light the lantern in an alcove which is getting pointing at, someone is ground zero for whatever the effect in the alcove. My two coppers anyway. Thodin is certainly not this analytical

I don't think that there's too much significance to only clockwise. Just means that there is a certain order of the effects.

I'm going to assume that PC knowledge is not automatically shared, so Thodin's next post will tell you what he found. If my assumption is incorrect, live and learn.

cheers

If we are turning it to the green (lit) lantern, we would have to go through the yellow alcove first anyway. Will get the chance to see what would happen if we move the sarcophagus towards the unlit lantern.