The Purple Dolphin Inn

dalamb

16 hours ago, dalamb said:
Khan

Garth rubs his eyes and shakes his head, then says, “Khan, you old so -- soul, it’s good to see you again. But the Captain said everyone has to interview, so fair is fair and you’ll have to wait your turn. If she turns you down for the Vengeance, maybe you could join me on the new ship?”

image.png.0927ed9ab1849203da4e7fd79f1db0c2.pngRather than be annoyed at the almost insult, Khans eyes wrinkle slightly with amusement. "Soul? You mean sod Garth, we both know it. I'm not going to magic you into a smelly human for mere insults and you know it. Just throw the insults, I prefer them. You go too far and..." He lifts his staff in a manner that indicates a spanking but old friends see such things as jest. He cocks an ear toward the singing downstairs. "Right, tell the lady I'm here and I want back on. Then come get me when she's ready." He raises the staff to turn around and adjusts his cloak. "Someone needs to go whip this rabble into shape and from what I hear, needs to be done before boarding as the Swift Vengeance has an ape for a first mate." He winks then departs, he staff clonking on each step before he stands on it as thought to test if it can hold his weight. He gets to the bottom of the stairs and rolls his eyes at the rowdy tune You don't hunt whales unless you want trouble or have a large fleet... He notes Ħraan pointing his way and his eyes narrow slightly. Someone who recognises me?

(Ħraan and Dorian)

With no other people taking his interest, he begins to make his way over. Some hapless fool stumbles into his path and he gives the man a gentle tap on the leg to get him to move out of the way. He catches Ħraans words as he approaches and looks around, spying a decent bit of empty wall with space in front of it. With a tap of his staff on both her foot and Dorians he gets her attention. "Sorry to interrupt your flirting with this pretty man but I saw you point at me. I would like to know why? But first let me help with your need for a physical outlet... you'll need to use your own darts or daggers however.." The air shimmers slightly and a dart board materialises on the wall where he indicates.

Then he stands, waiting for a reposnse to his question.

Action

Spell-like Ability, Silent Image. Concentrating on this to keep it there.

Dorian5.jpg.2e9ac2426229babe0668710a7bb9411b.jpg

Dorian Hawkwind

Just as Dorian finishes speaking to the tall man, Thorvald is summoned to his interview with the captain, so he makes his apologies and gives Hraan and Dorian a slight bow before following the elf into the other room.

They do not have long to wait, though, before their attention is grabbed by a little fellow with somewhat reptilian features, who must have overheard Hraan talking of a darts contest. Intrigued. they follow the short fellow downstairs, where he finds a suitable space and magically creates a dartboard on the wall.

"Hah! What marvel is this?" says Dorian, excitedly. "I have no darts, but I always like to be prepared for the unexpected. Try this?" 😀

And he quickly reaches over one shoulder with his other hand, bringing out a dagger which he throws at the board. His hand moves almost too quickly to follow, as he repeats the motion twice more, each time finding a fresh dagger to fling at the dartboard.

All three throws hit the board, though his first and third throws only manage low scores. His middle throw is a good one though, hitting near the centre of the board (assuming for the purposes of this game concentric rings rather than a fully segmented board).

"Oh well, not so bad for a first throw! See if you can do better, Hraaan." 😊

Mechanics

Dorian has Quick Draw, 3 attacks per round, and a ready supply of daggers in his handy haversack (+19 attack)

Edit: Oops! Forgot I also have Point Blank Shot, so that should be +20 attack

Edited by Lord Foul (see edit history)
Name
Throw one
1d20+19 4
Throw two
1d20+19 13
Throw three
1d20+19 5

On 3/5/2024 at 3:10 PM, KellyCat said:
Erika Sanolda

At the Door (Verdana)

“Good day. It seems like quite the crowd. Hopefully I am not too late to apply for a job as an officer?” Erika asked with a small chuckle, letting her eyes briefly drift over the note with directions and seeing where she was supposed to go.

Upstairs (Garth)

“My name is Erika Sanolda. I am here seeking employment as the ship’s mage and wind singer. I have my credentials and letter of recommendation from both Lord Byron and Captain Ha’shim of the merchant ship Flower de Luce, my previous employers.” She said as she popped open the case of her violin and removed a pair of sealed scrolls and presented the documents to the hadozee. “And I am more than willing to answer any questions you might have about my competency.” She said with another charming smile.

Verdana

Thimage.png.b41f2236b03bfbbb4e774e4f62fa98d5.pnge woman behind the sign says, “Don’t ye fret about the lineup. The taverner will keep the place open ‘til the Captain says to close it, and she’ll outlast the rest o’ ye. Elves, ye ken; don’t need much sleep.”

Garth

GarthGarthStormchaser.jpg.92f048dce8abec5ae3615e40283a0f33.jpg looks over Erika’s papers quickly and says, “I am not familiar with those worthies, but I imagine the Captain is. In any case, you’ll need to take those papers with you; with so many applicants, I shouldn’t be dealing with more than one paper for each applicant.” He scribbles down some notes on a fresh piece of paper, and puts it at the bottom of his pile.

3 hours ago, Nameless Void said:

The air shimmers slightly and a dart board materialises on the wall where he (Khan) indicates.

Then he stands, waiting for a reposnse to his question.

Action

Spell-like Ability, Silent Image. Concentrating on this to keep it there.

A few nearby patrons look startled when the board appears, two who notice appear blase about it, but most don't even notice.

MechanicsI'll adjudicate the match after Khan takes his throws.

2.jpg.4719b38472b5d6adbaef7906ad61c001.jpg

Ħraan Evermeer

(Khan and Dorian)

Ħraan eyes Khan as he approaches, but her wariness dissipates into a coy grin as he addresses her. With a side glance at Dorian, she responds "No interruption; pretty boy and I were comparing notes on the other hopefuls. Maybe I was pointing at someone near you? Either way, I'm glad it brought you over."

After Dorian's round, she tilts her head in askance before retrieving his daggers and lining up her first shot. "I'm Ħraan, by the way, an' this is Dorian." thunk "Who're you that wields magic so effortlessly?" thud(crit!) "Yes! This is looking close." thunk

With the last of her throws, she smiles at Khan and gestures him to take his go.

OOC: Ħraan only has 2 attacks per round at +11 each, but since Dorian had 3 goes she has the same number, if quite a bit slower

Edited by Arbuthnott (see edit history)
Name
Throw 1
1d20+11 15
Throw 2
1d20+11 20
Throw 3
1d20+11 16

Erika Sanolda
Garth

Erika kept the smile on her face as she took the scrolls back from Garth. “My apologies, I did not intend to overload you with paperwork.” She said as she returned the scrolls to her violin case. “But I thank you for your time and your hard work. I will be close by when the Captain is ready for my interview.” She gave the man another small bow and went to scope out some of the other crew members.

Ħraan, Dorian, and Karn

Well, this is interesting. Erika thought to herself as she caught a kobold working magic to create a dartboard, which became an impromptu dagger throwing contest. I would hate to think of the damage they are causing to the poor wall. She mentally suppressed the urge to sigh at the antics of the others and put a smile on her face as she approached them. 

She took a moment to take in the sight of the three principal players. The first she focused on was the singular female in the group, who helpfully provided a name of Ħraan. She had a sort of wild beauty about her that she might have taken the time to appreciate fully, were she a decade or two younger. Mending fishing nets, knot by knot. Erika thought to herself as she kept herself from getting distracted by the sight of younger woman throwing daggers. Remember that even the prettiest roses have sharp thorns.

The second was ‘Pretty Boy’, for she had no name for the admittedly pretty young man. While she preferred the company of the fairer gender, she could see the appeal of the young man. While his strikes were faster than Ħraan’s, he seemed to have less accuracy in their first round. There is often benefit to multiple quick strikes over a single more accurate one. Provided you have enough ammunition to continue your barrage. She made a mental note to eventually catch the young man's name, though for now the Pretty Boy title would have to serve as a place holder.

The illusionist took a few seconds for Erika to spot and she bit back her first thoughts of the kobold. While she was not exactly the height of style herself, she still attempted to keep herself looking more than the disheveled appearance of the small creature. She had served with kobolds before, but never one quite like this. A magic user. Best keep my thoughts to myself around him lest we end up in a magical duel to defend one's honor.

“Pardon my intrusion, while I am not exactly the most proficient at darts or more accurately throwing daggers… Breaking out my bow seems like an ill advised idea” Erika said as she approached the dartboard she winced a little internally at the damage as she peeked through the illusion. “I can assist in keeping the ire of the proprietor from your game if you wish. I am Erika by the way.” She introduced herself with a small bow before she started to call upon her magics. Tracing a sigil on the wall with a single graceful finger and focusing a tiny portion of her magics, she said a simple word of power which caused the wood to mend itself back together as if it had never been used for target practice to begin with.

actionCast spell, level 0. Mending

Dorian Hawkwind

Dorian laughs as the woman repairs the damage they have done to the inn's wall.

"With skills like that you are most welcome then, Erika." ☺️ the 'Pretty Boy' says, giving her a warm smile. "Allow me to introduce Hraaan, who is proving to be my better when it comes to dagger throwing... and I am Dorian... Dorian Hawkwind, at your service," he ends with a sweeping bow and another broad smile. 😁

"But I'm being doubly remiss here, as I have been so caught up in the competition that I haven't yet asked the name of our other new friend..." he looks to the kobold to introduce himself.

"Perhaps a doubles match might be an interesting contest? What do you think; boys versus girls?" 😀

Possible way to score it

Roll 1d20 +attack bonus with dagger. If the board has concentric circles they could be scored from 1 to 10 from outer ring to bullseye.

Score 21 = ring 1, 22 = ring 2 etc and any score of 30+ is a bullseye for 10 points.

Any score less than 21 either misses the board or bounces off without the point sticking. 3 daggers per player.

Edited by Lord Foul (see edit history)

image.png.0927ed9ab1849203da4e7fd79f1db0c2.pngKhan raises a scaled eyebrow, he hadn't expected to partake in the games merely provide an avenue for others to do so. But in an attempt not to be a spoil sport, produces several small knives from under his cloak.

"We dragons have no need for last names to pretty like other races but my true name would be a struggle for your mouths to pronounce. So Khan will be what you can call me. And young lady, I am a dragon, we are magic made flesh so I do not have trouble controlling myself."

He moves before the board in his own time, holds out his staff for Dorian to hold for him and in a grandfatherly way smacks the end down on the ground in impatience when the human is too slow to take hold of it. He then takes his time to aim and throw. His blades fly straight enough, with the last at least flying somewhat true but he shrugs it off in passing. His way was not to use blades either way this contest went. He then gently takes the staff back.

Then Erika heals the wall and the Kobold quietly notes her spell. Might be a touch handy to have on a wooden boat he thinks wryly. "I too do not rely on implements for my trade but a friendly wager is a friendly wager. Let us say if the ladies win, I will buy a round of this weak booze for each of the competitors. If our friend Dorian here wins, for I am but a simple magicker and unlikely to be too helpful, you ladies can do the buying. And the best throw wins this." He then removes a bottle from beneath his stained cloak. It is multifaceted, so dark purple that it bordered on black and held a crystalline stopper crafted into the shape of a bee. It was a fancy bottle of what was supposed to be good wine as it cost him ten gold, but he'd tried another bottle and it wasn't to his liking so he was happy to give it away to make this a bit more entertaining.

Notes

Sorry, forgot to put Save DC for the Silent Image - 23 unless you're happy to believe its real.

Concentration - Swift Action

He can only throw two daggers a round as well so the third takes him a little longer.

Spellcraft check to see what spell Erika uses below as well

Edited by Nameless Void (see edit history)
Name
Knife throw 1
1d20+12 7
Knife throw 2
1d20+12 4
Knife throw 3
1d20+12 15
Spellcraft Check
1d20+18 5

The Dart Game

“It is a pleasure to meet you as well Darian and Karn.” Erika said as both the pretty boy and the kobold introduced themselves. She smiled softly at the invitation to the game and carefully took the knives from the wall after Karn made his throws. “I trust you do not mind me using your knives as well. And while I do not expect my skills to be as awe inspiring as my partner’s… I hope that I will not let her down.”

Erika closed her eyes as she casually felt the weight of the daggers in her hand, testing the balance. The dagger wasn’t particularly remarkable, not of fine craft or particularly well balanced for throwing… But neither was it a horrible blade. A little heavier on the hilt side, but well wrapped for an easy release from the hand. I can work with this.  She thought to herself as she shifted the unfamiliar weapon to a comfortable position.

Not wanting to disappoint, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes, focusing on drawing her strength to herself.  Letting out her breath, she began to sing as she lightly tapped her foot. The words were soft at first but they came easily as she began to sing in earnest, letting her power grow as she sang a verse that seemed to hum with universal power. Opening her eyes she locked her focus on the target and launched the first blade through the air, followed quickly by the second. A few moments later, she had switched the third blade from her right hand to her left and let the metal object fly.

Letting her song lapse she blinked once then twice and looked down the range at the board. “And how did I do?” She asked curiously before she walked down to retrieve the knives and mend the wall again.

ActionsBardic Music-Inspire Courage +1, modified by Words of Creation to +2
Point blank shot +1
2 shots in 1 round, 1 in 2nd round

Knife throw 1Knife throw 2Knife throw 3

Name
Knife throw 1
1d20+14 8
Knife throw 2
1d20+14 5
Knife throw 3
1d20+14 10

Sven

Sven.png.a51d218807e0799d6405f6f3d17a2604.png

Sven finishes out the song as no one else joins in. Taking another strong swig, he finishes up his ale and slams it down. Launching himself into the air, he almost seems angry. Pointing at the man who joined him before, he starts up another song.

"You! What will we do with a drunken sailor?"
Points at another patron "What will we do with a drunken sailor?"
Points at a different patron "What will we do with a drunken sailor?
Early in the morning!"

He brings his hand back and is dynamically moving on the stage.

"Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Early in the morning!"

Not waiting for anyone else, he continues for another few minutes of the song.

2.jpg.4719b38472b5d6adbaef7906ad61c001.jpg

Ħraan Evermeer

(The Dart Game)

Round 1

Dorian: 3, 10, 4 = 17
Ħraan: 6, 10, 7 = 23
Khan: miss, miss, 7 = 7
Erika: 2, miss, 4 = 6

Boys: 24
Girls: 29

"Ha! Now that's what I call sport! Honest pay for honest labour," Ħraan winks as she accepts a drink from Khan. "What do you all think; another round?"

Leaning back to enjoy her ale while somebody else tries their hand at the board, she considers Khan with an openly interested expression. "A dragon, eh? I had no idea such a being existed. After this has settled down, we'll have to sit down and compare stories; I'd love to see how your magic differs from my own."

When she gets an opportunity to speak to Erika without the boys overhearing, she mutters "That was a right interesting thing you did as you were throwing. What was it; magic of some sort? Would it help your hapless teammate as well?"

Edited by Arbuthnott (see edit history)

Dorian Hawkwind

"Well played, ladies!" says Dorian with a cheery grin. 😀 "Yes, another round will give us a chance to restore our reputations... or damage them further. But let's go in reverse order this time, to build the tension, eh?" 😁

Erika's song should still be in effect for her second turn.

While again holding the old kobold's staff for him, Dorian says "I'd always imagined dragons as being... taller, but I guess that's legends for you." ☺️

spacer.png

Quotara

Entering the Tavern, a slightly short woman under a heavy hooded cloak, the only parts of her skin easily visible are the backs of her hands which are tinged with blue scales. Feeling the warmth as the door behind her closes she speaks a soft word and the thick oiled leather adjusts, then shrinks, and cuts down into rather professional but worn and used sailors outfit, the shirt a bit loose but the pants tight, but also further revealing her features. Bypassing the bar for now she moves not with stiffness but grace and purpose, navigating the press of patrons with ease and using her size to her advantage to make it to the stairs. Letting out a tense breathe she crosses the hall to the assigned door and enters, taking a step inside before making a point of clicking her boots to the floor and snapping a crisp salute to the Hadozee. "Quotara Windswept, sailor in The Sail's Edge and former Mishipman of the Andaron Navy. I am a skilled Marine, Pilot, Navigator, and am an expert in infiltration, extraction, and am a Mermaid." Once given her paper/taken note of by the first mate she slips into the bunch waiting for their chance to interview.

Actions

Actions here

Erika Sanolda
The Dart Game

Erika smiled as the score was called in favor of the ladies, though her own contributions were little more than treading water against the other mage. She leaned in a little closer to whisper back to Ħraan. “I have a talented tongue.” She said with a small laugh. “But yes, my music bolsters people’s courage and helps them fight on. I just tend to be a little more potent than some due to some tricks that I have learned.”

At Dorian’s suggestion that they play a second round, Erika smiled softly. “I don’t know, we beat you boys pretty handily.” She teased as she returned to the throwing line and adjusted her stance to take aim at the board. “Could your pride stand losing twice in a row?”  Erika asked as she let the first two daggers fly through the air and strike the illusionary dartboard, and took the third shot just as her music’s impacts began to fade.

Humming a soft tone to herself, she went to retrieve the daggers and again mended the wall to prevent the proprietor from becoming upset with their likely frowned upon game. “Here you go Karn.” Erika said as she bent a little to allow the smaller humanoid to grab the daggers, which she offered him to handle first to keep the risk down.

Once her hands were free of the daggers, she meandered over to Ħraan and whispered quietly so that only the other woman could hear her. “Take your time with your shots, the shortest I can make the effects last is 30 seconds… Or else pretty boy benefits as well.” Knife throw 1Knife throw 2Knife throw 3

Name
Knife throw 1
1d20+14 15
Knife throw 2
1d20+14 1
Knife throw 3
1d20+14 8

Harpooner.png.c8711a8d655ae1c088aa6f0213263230.png
"A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor, nor does an easy fight make a true warrior."

As Manaia stepped into The Purple Dolphin, his gaze swept across the crowded room, each detail sharpening his focus. The worn clothing of the woman by the entrance, the mixed chatter of ambition and hope; it all felt familiar, yet charged with the promise of a new voyage. Making his way towards the stairs, he felt the wooden floorboards underfoot as familiar as the deck of a ship, the creaks and groans telling stories of countless patrons who'd crossed this threshold before him.

Upon reaching the anteroom, he was met by the imposing figure of the hadozee, whose inquiry was a gatekeeper to his future. "Manaia, 'Manny' to many" he introduced himself, his voice steady, bearing the confidence of one who has faced the wrath of the sea and prevailed. "I offer expertise born from a lifetime at sea; as a harpooner, my aim is true and my knowledge of the deep vast. I understand the bones of a ship, how to coax speed from wood and sail, and the camaraderie that binds a crew together in the face of the ocean's fury." In those few sentences, Manaia encapsulated his essence—a seafarer to the core, with skills honed through the relentless pursuit of mastery over the sea's challenges. His eyes, reflecting the stormy hues of the deep, held the hadozee's gaze, betraying not a hint of doubt.

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)