Barrowmaze - OOC

cailano

42 minutes ago, LarsWester said:

Also just asking as it seems it may go this way. @cailano are you good with a party split between caravan and barrow mounds or is that too great a plot deviation to deal with? Almost two campaign parties at that point. I think the biggest difficulty would be reunification as the in-game time would probably be much shorter in the barrows than in the caravan group and anyone taking that path might have to wait for months of real life to pass before the barrows team caught up in-game time with the caravan group. Right now it sounds like we have the following preferences.

Caravan Duty: Zaivie, Cyrus, Tharnakalian and Serpe

Barrows: Allen, Dougal and Thomas

Thomas doesn't feel great about going to the barrows with only Dougal and Allen and would probably jump to team Caravan Duty if the four above committed to that path.

You... want to split the party in an OSR megadungeon? ::evil grin::

You guys can work this stuff out in the way that seems best to you, but while reading all this OOC debating, I wondered if it wouldn't have been more fun to debate it IC back at the tavern with the information your PCs have in-game.

4 minutes ago, cailano said:

You... want to split the party in an OSR megadungeon? ::evil grin::

Nah not me Thomas would rather spend a few days with a caravan than go dungeoneering with a smaller party but if Allen really sticks to his no more merc work mentality not sure what that means for him during that time. Maybe he can stay around and gather intel on the other rival groups. Just asking if splitting the party would be something you'd entertain?

1 minute ago, cailano said:

You guys can work this stuff out in the way that seems best to you, but while reading all this OOC debating, I wondered if it wouldn't have been more fun to debate it IC back at the tavern with the information your PCs have in-game.

I do think that there has been some debating in character but I agree we can continue to do so in character rather than OOC if you'd prefer. Sometimes it is helpful though to get OOC debate going. Like OOC I want to do the barrow mounds but I think IC Thomas is up for whatever including setting up a future caper in town.

2 minutes ago, cailano said:

Meh. Not really that interesting of a debate. It's way more efficient in ooc.

I just don't wanna attempt the dungeon first thing. Feels like suicide.

5 minutes ago, LarsWester said:

Nah not me Thomas would rather spend a few days with a caravan than go dungeoneering with a smaller party but if Allen really sticks to his no more merc work mentality not sure what that means for him during that time. Maybe he can stay around and gather intel on the other rival groups. Just asking if splitting the party would be something you'd entertain?

I don't think I'd recommend it but if that's what you do I won't stop you. I only have so much posting time so twice as many story lines leads to half the pace for each thread.

I don't think splitting the party is a good idea, so I'm fine doing whatever the majority of the group is into. I just don't see the profit in the caravan duty job, feels like we're scraping for coppers. It's not like we're going to gain a level from a caravan job either, so we're not likely to come out of the caravan job any more prepared than we are now. Better way for us to show our worth and increase our reputation would be to strike out for the Barrowmounds and come back with some treasure--we've already been told we're better-equipped than most of the sad lots that have gotten themselves killed.

In any case, I'm sure my vote is clear by now, but I'll go along with the group either way.

I agree: splitting the party is almost surely a mistake here. I honestly didn't imagine it would even be this much of a debate. I figured we'd do a couple days with the caravan, earn some coin and street cred, and head for the Barrows. But if folks are totally determined not to do the caravan thing and only want to go die in the Barrows first, so be it. My girl will need to bum some food off of folks if that's the decision, which neither she nor I like to do, but I also don't want to be the reason the group splits up unnecessarily.

12 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

Meh. Not really that interesting of a debate. It's way more efficient in ooc.

I just don't wanna attempt the dungeon first thing. Feels like suicide.

have you never played a level 1 PC in a dungeon setting before? the mounds will be the easy part of the adventure finding the entrance to the barrow maze will be something else altogether by then we may very well be level 2.

I have already stated in his little background thing before the game started that he was done with mercenary-type work he came here looking for adventure not another caravan to guard. Allen plans on setting out for the mounds at daylight it is no more suicidal than guarding a caravan.

Just now, Raistlinmc said:

I agree: splitting the party is almost surely a mistake here. I honestly didn't imagine it would even be this much of a debate. I figured we'd do a couple days with the caravan, earn some coin and street cred, and head for the Barrows. But if folks are totally determined not to do the caravan thing and only want to go die in the Barrows first, so be it. My girl will need to bum some food off of folks if that's the decision, which neither she nor I like to do, but I also don't want to be the reason the group splits up unnecessarily.

why do you need street cred with the merc guild? going to the mounds and back will earn you enough "Street cred" more than guarding a bunch of wagons for sure.

And we have our first ability check! Dougal was trying to push Karg for a better deal, which I could see going either way, so I asked the dice. Basic Fantasy has a pretty harsh set of target numbers for low-level PCs, which I'll modify with bonuses or penalties as necessary. Generally a +2 (favorable) or +5 (very favorable) or the reverse.

In this case, since Dougal and Karg has a mutual interest but didn't know each other well, I gave a +2 and added +1 for Dougal's Charisma bonus. The result was 14.

14 isn't the 17 called for on page 188 of the core rules, but it was close enough that I ruled it a "partial success" which isn't in the very brief description for ability rules, so it's more of a ruling.

I look at it like this:

Exceeded the TN by 3 or more: "Yes and" (IE: You make the jump easily and add a bonus to movement or maybe just look really cool doing it)

Hit the TN: "Yes" (You made the jump)

Missed the TN by three or less: "Yes but" (You made the jump but only by a fingertip grab. You lose a round of movement or similar)

Missed the TN: "No" (You don't make the jump. Save or fall.)

Missed the TN by a lot: "No and" (You don't make the jump and you fall with no save)

Again, this isn't an official rule, its just the lines I think along with ability checks.

In Dougal's case, he got a "yes but" so Karg does as asked but he's cheesed off about it.

I think so?!?

It's still morning, right? We got a free night at the inn, a guide, and maybe a shield if we can murder our competitors! Sounds like a win to me.

@cailano I have 2 GP and my short sword. I bought the short sword for 6 gp can I sell it to him for 3 and give him a gp and get the Warhammer?

I updated my post to include him trying to get a war hammer, I made a cha roll but its horrible (11) so I might have messed up lol oh well was hoping to have a blunt weapon for any skeletons we might encounter.

Edited by Excior (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Excior said:

@cailano I have 2 GP and my short sword. I bought the short sword for 6 gp can I sell it to him for 3 and give him a gp and get the Warhammer?

I updated my post to include him trying to get a war hammer, I made a cha roll but its horrible (11) so I might have messed up lol oh well was hoping to have a blunt weapon for any skeletons we might encounter.

It's a fair deal though, so Karg takes it. Update your character sheet.