Sheet Folders in Testing ×

What are you reading?

Eric

10 hours ago, Arcticus said:

Which Legends books in particular?

Since the restart, I’ve read Lost Tribe of the Sith, Dawn of the Jedi, Revan, Deceived, Red Harvest, Fatal Alliance, Annihilation, and Path of Destruction. The last one was on audio, so I finished it before I could finish Knight Errant, which is my current Kindle read.  I read Darth Plagueis and Maul: Lockdown recently, so I doubt I’ll go back to them so soon. 

And as a slide-note, howdy, @lemonstyx!

I’m currently reading through March to the Sea, book 2 of the Empire of Man series by John Ringo and David Weber. Fantastic four book sci-fi series that’s about a spoiled prince and his Marine bodyguards crashing after sabotage and having to trek across a primitive planet to escape.

Definitely has that classic epic feel, to it. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Colin said:

I’m currently reading through March to the Sea, book 2 of the Empire of Man series by John Ringo and David Weber. Fantastic four book sci-fi series that’s about a spoiled prince and his Marine bodyguards crashing after sabotage and having to trek across a primitive planet to escape.

Definitely has that classic epic feel, to it. 🙂

Definitely a good read if you like military SF. And the authors actually temper each others more annoying tendencies. The first three books marching across Marduk are the best, the fourth always seemed a bit weaker to me but does wrap up the series pretty well.

New G.G. Kay!  All the Seas of the World. About 20% in and I still have no idea where this one is going, but of course, with Kay it's always the ride and not the destination anyhow. The setting is "not-Mediterranean" shortly after the fall of "not-Byzantium" and involves a good bit of city-state intrigue from the view of people who are definitely players but unlikely to be remembered by history. So pretty typical Kay.

I have another friend that is published.  Essentially her dissertation for her PhD.  It may be a bit dense for some, and I admit I bought it as a friend but am not actually reading...

41JMgHKO1LL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A study of myth suggests that the stories we human beings tell ourselves about who we are make us who we are. Amber Lehning extends such discussion into the ecocritical realm, arguing that the stories we tell ourselves about our relationship to the natural world are at least as powerful as science or government policy as drivers of our behavior toward our planet. The destructive modern myths underlying today’s environmental crises create a kind of intellectual separation between humanity and its environment that can end up justifying the worst of environmental excesses―and perhaps, she argues, the only way to counter these negative humans-versus-nature stories is to shift some of the deep belief they command into new, positive, restorative stories.

The Map of Wilderland argues for the position of J. R. R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth legendarium as one of those good stories. Using source critical and ecocritical perspectives, Lehning traces some of the ancient Celtic, Germanic, and English mythic roots of Tolkien’s work; examines how those roots influence Tolkien’s own depictions of the wild natural world; and suggests ways that this wildly popular modern myth could serve to help counter today’s destructive environmental ones.

Through insightful close readings of Tolkien’s texts, Lehning’s work complements existing inquiries in ecocritical Tolkien studies and bolsters the general critical agreement that Tolkien’s work presents positive environmental themes and a harmonious, inspiring vision.

On 5/14/2022 at 11:31 AM, Roughtrade said:

I am into my semi-annual re-reading of the Silmarillion.  

For someone with ADD, reading that was akin to mentally licking dry lumber.  The woodgrain is very pretty but it's very dry and you get stuck in the same spot for much longer than you'd ever like. 

Honestly a bit jealous of the people who can make it through it.

41 minutes ago, CajunCoder said:

For someone with ADD, reading that was akin to mentally licking dry lumber.  The woodgrain is very pretty but it's very dry and you get stuck in the same spot for much longer than you'd ever like. 

Honestly a bit jealous of the people who can make it through it.

I just love the way he writes.  

It's like Aaron Sorkin's writing.  I can put "West Wing" or "Sports Night" on the TV and just listen to it.  

• 4 weeks later...

Just be aware that many, many groups consider Wick's advice to be WAY over the top and a fine example of what NOT to do. (Guy considers taking Luck in Champions to be a rules exploit, which is a bit uhm, much). Good starting place though. Just tone it down for the average group.