Chapter 1: Welcome to the Witchlight Carnival!

The Ticket Booth

Should anyone take a moment to check on the elderly goblin, they would see that he has his ear horn up to his ear, as though he is obviously listening in on the conversation. He takes a moment to mumble to himself when there is an opportunity to do so, "Siegfried Duval, Gavin Hopsalot, Jasmine Hart, EEEEK!, and Ilse...." He then seems to realize something and he practically screeches, "Aha! I remember now! Your names! One moment!"

After that sudden burst of energy, he ducks down behind the booth and seems to rifle through the things behind there, before popping back up. He puts down five tickets down on the counter for them, and he informs them, "A benefactor has already paid for a ticket for each one of you! However, if you want to experience more of the Carnival's wonders, you will need to pay for another ticket, "

He then turns his attention to Siegfried and pushes back the two gold coins saying, "A ticket for an adult costs 8 Gold Pieces. If you cannot afford that, then we can work out a deal for a different form of payment,"

spacer.pngSiegfried Duval

Human Dilettante, Illusionist 

AC: 13 (Base) | HP: 9/9 () | HD: 1/1 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 16.
Str: 10 (0) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 18 (+4) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: Common, Elven
Spell Slots: L1 2/2 |

"Kharr'tul. Never heard of it. I hadn't considered that the carnival would travel to other planes, how exciting! I look forward to seeing these things Fixit," Siegfried replied to the strange insect creature brightly. "Maybe I'll finally find whatever it is I'm looking for inside as well, with all these finders about. Unfortunately Eek and Isle, I don't know what it is. I'm not sure it's something I've lost."

When the goblin interrupted Siegfried turned, surprised. He couldn't recall telling anyone he had been headed to the carnival, it had been a spontaneous decision whilst he'd been... He frowned. Actually, come to think of it he couldn't recall at all what he'd been doing. He'd just assumed it was spontaneous. "Who's this mysterious benefactor?" he asked, still frowning as he absentmindedly counted out six more coins onto the table. "Wait, what do you mean more of it's wonders? Haven't we just arrived?" he asked again, suddenly even more confused. "Surely a ticket is a ticket?"

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Concentration: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Unarmed . Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 bludgeoning damage.

Quarterstaff . Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 (1d8) bludgeoning damage. Versatile

Light Crossbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage. Loading, Two-Handed

Bonus Actions:

-

Reactions:

-

Class Features:

Arcane Recovery . 1/1 Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Gemini_Generated_Image(4).jpg.9420f8aa50ff62a6305d713d34eb16ee.jpg.2325a6479c2aa79ea86a056fb9e90d13.jpgName Chit'Thal | Class Artificer 1 | AC: 15 | HP: 10/10 | Prof: +2 | PP: 11 | Saves: Str +1 / Dex +2 / Con +4 / Int +6 / Wis +1 / Cha -1 |

Special Abilities darkvision, Carnival Companion, Carnival Fixture, Magical Tinkering, Chameleon Carapace, Secondary Arms, Sleepless, Telepathy, Ritual Casting 

Attacks: Lt Hammer | +3 | 1d6+1 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+2 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack +6 | Hit Dice d8 (1/1) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Mending, Acid Splash

Level 1 | (2/2) | Tasha's Caustic brew, Grease, Alarm, Catapult

Fixit was happy to see that the old goblin was using his ear horn today. That always made talking with him easier. He still spoke slowly and loudly to the old goblin. "Click click, Okay Nikolas your booth is all fixed up, good as new." He then looks around at his new companions. "Someone has paid for your tickets that is so exciting. We are going to have so much fun today. It has been a long time since I actually spent time enjoying the carnival"

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: hope it is okay that I said it is his day off.

spacer.pngWell, wasn't that lucky? Someone had paid for an Ilse, and she's the first Ilse to show up. Hopefully whichever Ilse it was actually meant for has eight gold because this Ilse does not. "Yes. I am Ilse." She says as she takes one of the tickets that the goblin put down on the counter. "How many of the Carnival's wonders does each ticket let us see?"

Gemini_Generated_Image(4).jpg.9420f8aa50ff62a6305d713d34eb16ee.jpg.2325a6479c2aa79ea86a056fb9e90d13.jpgName Chit'Thal | Class Artificer 1 | AC: 15 | HP: 10/10 | Prof: +2 | PP: 11 | Saves: Str +1 / Dex +2 / Con +4 / Int +6 / Wis +1 / Cha -1 |

Special Abilities darkvision, Carnival Companion, Carnival Fixture, Magical Tinkering, Chameleon Carapace, Secondary Arms, Sleepless, Telepathy, Ritual Casting 

Attacks: Lt Hammer | +3 | 1d6+1 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+2 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack +6 | Hit Dice d8 (1/1) | Death Saves: 0/0

The Thri-Kreen turns to Ilse and replies in his clicking voice. "The initial ticket will get you into the carnival and has 8 punches, so that you may enjoy 8 of the attractions. An additional ticket will allow you to enjoy 8 more attractions."

Mechanics

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)

EEEEK!

Kenku, Investigator - Rogue 1image.png.d099a329558becda999d557fcf363d14.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 | HP: 8/8 | Init: +3 | PP: 17

Sneak Attack: 1d6 | DM Inspiration: 0

Approaching the elderly goblin, the young Kenku stood up on tiptoes and grabbed the counter so he could properly see and be seen.

"EEEEK! Yes...ummm...that's me...thank you...ticket paid for you say...ummm...that's very kind...of...ummm...someone!!"

He wondered for a moment why they would need another ticket, but Mr Fixit explained things beautifully. EEEEK! put his one gold coin back into his slim purse and hoped that 8 attractions would be enough excitement for one day!

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: none
Bonus Action: none
Move: none
Manipulate: none

Edited by MysteriousMiller (see edit history)

Gavin Hopsalot 

NpiTLZ5r9KoiOqWzRrGi--4--lm79r.jpg.52931851ba1ffd96c7b2bcc5404c3e46.jpg

Statblock

Gavin Hopsalot
Harengon  Ranger 1 NG

AC 15 HP 12 Speed 30ft 

Str 10 (0) Dex 18 (4) Con 14 (2) Wis 16 (3) Int 14 (2) Cha 10 (0)

Saves: Str 2 Dex 6 Con 2 Wis 3 Int 2 Cha 0

Passive Perception: 15

Passive Insight: 13

Passive Investigation: 14

Initiative: 6

Attacks
Short Sword +2 to hit damage: 1d6+2
Short Sword 2 to hit damage: 1d6+2
Long Bow +6 to hit damage: 1d8+2

Skills

Skill Name Modifier
Athletics +0
Acrobatics +4
Stealth +8
Sleight of Hand +4
Arcana +2
History +2
Investigation +4
Nature +4
Religion +2
Animal Handling +3
Insight +3
Medicine +3
Perception +5
Survival +5
Deception +2
Intimidation +0
Performance +0
Persuasion +0

Feats and Abilities 

Racial features:
Hare Trigger:  You can add your proficiency bonus to your Initiative. 
Leporine Senses:  You have proficiency in the Perception Skill.
Lucky Footwork:  When you fail a Dexterity saving throw, you can use your reaction to roll a d4 and add it to your saving throw, potentially turning the failure into a success. You can't use this reaction if you are prone or your speed is 0.
Rabbit Hop:  As a bonus action, you can jump a distance equal to five times your proficiency bonus, without provoking opportunity attacks. You can use this trait only if your speed is greater than 0. You can use it a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, an you regain all expended uses after a long rest.

Background features:  
Skill proficiency: Deception and Survival 
Tool Proficiency: Mandolin
Language: Elven 
Equipment: Mandolin, Large iron fingernail, child's parasol covered in moss and leaves, sprig of Rosemary wrapped with ribbon at one end, travelers clothes, and Pouch of 8 gp.
Fey Mark: Bunny Tail
Feywild Visitor: Unicorn

Class Features:
Proficiencies

Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
Skills: Choose three from Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Stealth, and Survival

Equipment

You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a) scale mail or (b) leather armor(a) two shortswords or (b) two simple melee weapons(a) a dungeoneer's pack or (b) an explorer's packA longbow and a quiver of 20 arrows

Favored Foe (Optional)

This 1st-level feature replaces the Favored Enemy feature and works with the Foe Slayer feature. You gain no benefit from the replaced feature and don't qualify for anything in the game that requires it.

When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature's extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.
Deft Explorer (Optional)

This 1st-level feature replaces the Natural Explorer feature. You gain no benefit from the replaced feature and don't qualify for anything in the game that requires it.

You are an unsurpassed explorer and survivor, both in the wilderness and in dealing with others on your travels. You gain the Canny benefit below, and you gain an additional benefit when you reach 6th level and 10th level in this class.

Canny (1st Level)

Choose one of your skill proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make using the chosen skill.

You can also speak, read, and write 2 additional languages of your choice.

Roving (6th Level)

Your walking speed increases by 5, and you gain a climbing speed and a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.

Tireless (10th Level)

As an action, you can give yourself a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1 temporary hit point). You can use this action a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

In addition, whenever you finish a short rest, your exhaustion level, if any, is decreased by 1.

Languages: Draconic, Elven, Common, Sylvan, and Goblin

Spells

None currently

Equipment

Equipment:

2x Short Sword

Long Bow w/ 20 arrows

Leather Armor

Mandolin

Large iron fingernail

Child parasol covered in moss and leaves

Spig of Rosemary wrapped in a ribbon on one end.

Pouch

Travelers clothes

Explorer's pack

Gavin shakes his head in the negative when asked about the Thri'Kreen. "While we do have many strange and wonderous creatures in the Feywild, I have never seen anyone such as yourself in all of my travels there. Of course that does not mean they do not exist there, I will  be the first to tell you there is much about my homelands I do not know as I left them at a young age"

he has a curious look when told they already had a ticket paid for, he had just found the carnival tbis morning, while it was true that he had been sesrching for it, who could have known that or even knew he would be here today. Something strange was going on here, though he was sure time would explain all. "Someone was definitely generous, at eight gold pieces that would be all the money to my name, so I will hope the one ticket will provide everything I need"

OOC

Jasmine Hart Warlock

AC 14 HP 10 Speed 30ft passive perception 12

Str 12 (1) Dex 17 (3) Con 15 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 12 (1) Cha 16 (3)

Saves Bold - proficient str +1 Dex +3 Con +2 Wis +4 Int +1 Cha +5

image.png.9093efe491afcd6614207abb7e0875fd.png

"I've only heard of Kharr'tull I only know its in the planes. I would be curious to know more about your home Fixit if you would like to share. As for an extra ticket what do you mean, we can use a different form of payment?" Jasmine would ask a slight look of alarm on her face at the prospect of a deal.

statblock

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2882583
tiefling warlock 1

AC 14 HP 10 Speed 30ft passive perception 12

Str 12 (1) Dex 17 (3) Con 15 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 12 (1) Cha 16 (3)

Saves Bold - proficient str +1 Dex +3 Con +2 Wis +4 Int +1 Cha +5

Skills Bold-proficient

Arcana +3

Athletics +1

Deception +5

History +3

Insight +2

Investigation +1

Medicine +2

Nature +1

Perception +2

Performance +3

Persuasion +5

Religion +1

Sleight of hand +3

Stealth +3

Survival +2

Attacks
eldritch blast 1d20+5 1d10   120 ft
toll the dead wis 13 1d8/1d12   60 ft
armor of agathys  5  cold damage and temp hp self 
witch bolt 1d20+5 1d12  30 ft 

Faerie Fire DC 13 Dex save advantage

Sleep 5d8 hp starting with the lowest

quarterstaff  1d20+3  1d6+1 0ne handed 1d8+1 two handed
dagger 1d20+5 1d4+3 range 20/60ft
light crossbow 1d20+5 1d8+3 two handed range 80/320

fey presence wisdom save DC 13 10 ft cube frightened or charmed

ASI Tiefling per Tasha's +1 charisma +2 Dexterity

Darkvision, 
You can see in darkness (shades of gray) up to 60 ft.

Hellish Resistance
You have resistance to fire damage.

Infernal 
You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. [3rd] You can cast hellish rebuke (2nd) once per long rest. [5th] You can cast darkness once per long rest. CHA is your spellcasting ability.

Thaumaturgy(Cantrip)

Noble
Feature: Position of Privilege

Thanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

spells

will detail if accepted

Charisma save Dc13 spell attack +5

thaumaturgy

toll the dead

eldritch blast

armor of agathys

Witch bolt

faerie fire

sleep

OOC

Bonus Action: -

Concentration: -

Edited by drealynn (see edit history)

Str: 10 (0) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 18 (+4) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 17 (+3)

"Ah. Right. Yes of course," Siegfried stumbled at Fixit's perfectly reasonable explanation. He couldn't quite shake free from the feeling of unease. No-one else seemed to know the nature of name of their benefactor either, and he was unused to being on the receiving end of charity. Which this felt awfully like, as opposed to the invitations his name afforded him. Not to mention the lingering hole in his recent memory.

In an effort to regain some semblance of control he confidently slid eight pieces of golf across the counter. "Well I'll certainly be taking an extra ticket sir, there looks to be far more than eight wonders within, and who knows when we'll be here again!"

As Jasmine asked about the deferred payment options he added "Honestly Ms Hart, I'd be more than happy to cover a second ticket for you if you wish, no obligations! Though if I'm to afford everyone the same, I may need to know if they take banker's drafts."

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Unarmed . Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 bludgeoning damage.

Quarterstaff . Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 (1d8) bludgeoning damage. Versatile

Light Crossbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage. Loading, Two-Handed

Bonus Actions:

-

Reactions:

-

Class Features:

Arcane Recovery . 1/1 Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Fixit replies, enjoying the conversation. "I too left home at a young age. Not much to tell about my home world. It was hot and dry and dusty. Lots of Thri-Kreen always rushing about busy, busy, busy but accomplishing nothing. Very rigid and structured, not for me. The carnival is my home now. This being a fey carnival they do like to barter for thing." He explains.

Mechanics

"Fey carnival?" Siegfried asked, a little perturbed. "Hopefully of the wondrous kind then." He looked out over the various attractions, just enough visible to titillate any potential visitor and tip them over the edge towards buying. "Certainly what I can see seems delightful, but I shall watch my words and promises."

"I can hardly afford more," he silently added, face a mask to his inner discomfort.

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

-

Reactions:

-

Class Features:

EEEEK!

Kenku, Investigator - Rogue 1image.png.d099a329558becda999d557fcf363d14.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 | HP: 8/8 | Init: +3 | PP: 17

Sneak Attack: 1d6 | DM Inspiration: 0

As Mr Fixit and Mr Siegfried discussed the bartering that might happen inside the carnival, EEEKs eyes went wider than ever, and a faint smile appeared.

" Ummm....are you suggesting that...ummm...let me get this right..my, umm, promises might be as valuable as my coins?" he asked excitedly. He'd always been a very helpful young Kenku, so the idea that his aid might bring some kind of reward really cheered him up. Perhaps his near empty purse wasn't quite the problem he'd imagined.

Absentmindedly he scratched his right hand, then suddenly stopped...Oh my goodness, it's a sign!

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: none
Bonus Action: none
Move: none
Manipulate: none

Edited by MysteriousMiller (see edit history)

The Thri-Kreen looks about eager to get going. "I don't claim to understand the Wondrous Fey, even after living with them all of these years. Who know what they might be willing to barter for. If you want another ticket and don't have the coins, then make Nikolas here an offer. See what he might take" He explains.

Mechanics

• 1 month later...

The Ticket Booth

Nikolas was silent for the most part as the party spoke amongst themselves. He stared intently at Jasmine Hart after she asked about alternative payment. When he has a chance and the rest of the party quieted down, he speaks while stroking his chin, "Let's see....For a ticket, I would say that in exchange you have to..." After a moment of silence and hemming and hawing, he finally makes a decision,

"In exchange, you cannot talk about your favorite subject during the Witchlight Carnival,"

He then asks Jasmine Hart with a simple smile, "Howssat? Do we gotta deal?"

spacer.pngIlse is quiet while the others discuss the Thri-Keen homelands and the carnival. She knew it was a fey carnival, but doesn't really have much experience with fey, so can't really add much. She pauses as the goblin offers a deal. It seems good, but Ilse's brow furrows as she considers it for a minute. Something about it bugs her, but she's not quite sure what it is. "What is your favorite subject?"