OOC Chat

8w_gremlin

Hello, this seems like an interesting system. It is different for me to build a character with no established lore or world to build for. I wonder if there will be a default lore for the system?

It's difficult to say with certainty, but judging by the campaign section, with headers like "Building a Map", "Incorporating Player Backstories", and "Planning an Arc", my guess would be a loose framework favoring/encouraging GM improvisation and flexibility over written-in-stone set pieces.

QUOTE: "Many traditional campaigns will give the GM a predefined storyline to guide the players through, giving options for the different outcomes and letting the characters decide what path to take ... In Daggerheart, campaigns are intended to work a little differently– they should be personal, focused, and responsive. Nothing should be planned until after character creation is complete, and the details players provide about these characters will be the primary scaffolding upon which you’ll plan the rest of the campaign"

Yes, one of the first things the group does is look at the map and name the continent, pick some locations and name them, and developed campaign content from there.

It’s fun to see the different bits and pieces stolen from other systems and Frankensteined together. I see pieces from Fate, Powered by the Apocalypse, in addition to the 5e/PF2e adjacent character building

FYI: when sharing a character, there is a drop-down, that needs to be changed to public, so that I can see the character sheet.
If you haven't already changed it, can you please do so, thanks!

Checking in on this reminded me -- I need to actually read through all the play test material still. I haven't gone through all of it other than the character creation and only a handful of what all is there.

What are folks seeing as interesting or as things that may need refining so far? I've seen some folks allude to feed back they already have.

I'm working on a quick block I can add to my posts with the various metacurrencies at play to minimize back and forth. I'm realizing that some of this is counter-intuitive when clumped together. Specifically, I accumulate Hope, so "marking a Hope" means I gain something, but "marking an armor slot," "marking a stress" and "marking HP" are all removing available resources. It makes moderate sense in the context of a Daggerheart character sheet, where there are boxes to fiddle with.

For my statblock, though, I was thinking it would be cleaner to just use flat numbers when we're talking about a quick look for GM / other players. In that case, my inclination is to just list everything in terms of how much is available for use, rather than having one value go up to full and the other go down to zero. So something like:

Armor Slots avail: 3/3
HP avail: 6/6
Stress avail: 5/5
Hope avail: 2/5

So, basically, in this version everything will count down to 0 as I consume it. If I mark an Armor Slot, the block would then say 2/3, then 1/3, then 0/3 (no more armor until I repair). Same with HP and Stress. I guess I wanted to make sure if (1) that seems like a clear format and / or (2) if there are strong opinions about some different paradigm that would work better.

(I also plan to have threshold, armor score, and available reaction powers in the block, but I think all those will be pretty intuitive, so I didn't bother including that here).

My preference are to use WoD pips for most of this. It allows you to see both what is used and what the totals would be. Filled dots are what have been spent, while open dots are available to spend.

Armor •○○

Hit Points •••○○○

Stress ••○○○

Hope ••••○

2 minutes ago, solyrflair said:

My preference are to use WoD pips for most of this. It allows you to see both what is used and what the totals would be. Filled dots are what have been spent, while open dots are available to spend.

Armor •○○

Hit Points •••○○○

Stress ••○○○

Hope ••••○

If I understand you right, this hypothetical character would have 1 Hope on their Demi-plane sheet?

8 hours ago, solyrflair said:

Armor •○○

Hit Points •••○○○

Stress ••○○○

Hope ••••○

I use something similar in most of my posting templates (I use boxes instead but either or) so it looks kinda like this;

Armour ☐ ☐
Health ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐
Stress ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐
Hope ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐

Because everything basically marks up in Daggerheart - that i can see - i'd just do it this way. And then when you need to mark up, you just copy and past

ร—
ร—