Eagleheart

Vharag.jpg.a377ae16c32065385c1aa4e5c41b3749.jpg

Vharag Mor'Guldur, Arcane Shaman

AC: 16(18) | HIT POINTS: 39 | CURRENT: 39 | HERO POINTS: 1 0

FORTITUDE: +8 | REFLEX: +6 | WILL: +11 | PERCEPTION: +6

FOCUS POINTS: 1 | CURRENT: 1 | SPELL SLOTS:  1st: 4/4 | 2nd: 2/3

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: Immunity (Guidance)

Vharag, ever attuned to the subtleties of magic and wary of deceit, observed the newcomers with a scrutinizing gaze. As Baldric bestowed grandiose titles upon each member of the party, Vharag's lips tightened into a thin line, his distaste for such formalities evident in the furrow of his brow. When Syhlas recounted their mission to bring Voz to justice, Vharag's suspicion deepened. The mention of his captor's employer hung heavy in the air. As he continued, Vharag's attention shifted to Renali, sensing a lingering magical aura despite her dismissal of the cloak of invisibility she had woven about her form. His suspicion deepened, his instincts honed by years of navigating the brutal webs of intrigue and rivalries within his own clan.

He addressed, first, Baldric, a snort of derision, "I am no Lord, my ass does not rest on a cushioned throne. Vharag will suffice, honorifics are for soft, civilized folks. I am neither." The next he spoke to Renali, "As for the Bloody Blade and the Cinderclaws, what do you know? Speak plainly, for deception shall find no purchase among us."

Vharag's eyes bore into Renali, silently demanding answers as he braced himself against the lingering currents of magic that surrounded her. Verjigorm, perched imperiously upon Vharag's shoulder, leaned towards the scholar with an air of superiority, his voice dripping with disdain as he addressed Arionne. "Soft-meat," he hissed in the Draconic language, "observe the lingering magical aura surrounding the elf-blood's companion. Remain vigilant, for such deceptions are beneath our concern, but you may wish them exposed, nonetheless."

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Posted (edited)

spacer.png"I don't know much about those mercenaries, but as for the Cinderclaws..." Her posture straightens up as she explains: "I am from the Mwangi Expanse, as they are. I followed them through the portal. There are more of them on the other side - many more. But the portal is broken now, so..." She peers at you and frowns. "...Just to be clear... what are your intentions with them?"

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Hmmm
1d20+7 10

image.jpeg.1bf506b13d468944173e567920351b56.jpegMatilde Canossa (Sheet) Human Cleric 3
HP: 36/41 | AC: 20 | Perception: +9 | Fort: +11 | Ref: +9 | Will: +7 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions: Shield (4) 10/12

"Came through, but broken now? And the Mwangi...I suppose that explains why we've seen so many odd things in the area." Matilde looks concerned, even as she heeded the woman's explanation of her origins. Not particularly sensing hostility, she keeps her own shield lowered, and her blade at the side. "I'm not sure we've really formulated any actual intentions towards the Cinderclaws, though they have certainly directed hostile intentions towards us so far...and we've had to defend ourselves. At this point, if they continue to disdain conversing with us, I do not see if we have much choice apart from intending to send them back from whence they came. But if the portal is broken..."

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

checked-shield.svg AC: (21) | health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +8 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

The sudden appearance of the veiled woman elicited little more than a raised eyebrow from Arionne, though she'd never left the careful stance she'd adopted. Once Renali had formally introduced herself, the tension went out of her shoulders, and she relaxed a little. Her attention kept shifting to the House Drake, or Dragonling, or whatever it was. She searched her memory for any refence to the Darkness Between Stars, trying to recall if she'd ever heard the void of space described with that name before, and in what tome of lore she'd read it.

"We initially started on the trail of a Red Mantis Assassin..."

She began, distracted as she was also listening to the Dragon.

"... but upon learning of the Elf Gates, I'd say my goal is the scholarly pursuit of them. You used one, truly, else you wouldn't be here."

She didn't try to keep the excitement out of her voice.

"How do you know it's broken? Did you have a key?"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions: Channel Elements, Armor in Earth

Action 1:  

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 2d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Armor in Earth spacer.png raise AC to 21
  • Burning Jet spacer.png stride 40' and ignore difficult terrain

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)
Name
Loremaster
1d20+6 2

spacer.pngBaldric | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +11 | Speed: 30 | Perception: +7
Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 2/2 | Spellcasting: Cantrips | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Spell DC: 19

Conditions: N/A | Effects: N/A

Baldric raises an eyebrow at Vharag's rebuke, then quickly barks out a short laugh.

"I see you've some of my family! I assure you, I have no love for the aristocracy of my homelands. When I identified myself as 'Baron-in-Exile,' it's more of a self-imposed exile. Had I remained in Cheliax, I assume I would have inherited my father's estate upon his death, including his lands and titles, but in truth that life was far from the one I wanted. I'd rather face challenges head-on among my comrades-in-arms than from behind the gilded veil. Besides, I can't imagine I'd enjoy the taste of infernal boot-leather."

He smirks, though there is clearly more to his history than he lets on.

"In truth, the appearance and mannerisms of nobility are but a tool in my arsenal. There are many who are willing to entertain an aristocrat more readily than a mud-caked footsoldier or a scholar covered in the dust of the stacks. Sadly, it does nothing to placate the hostilities of these Bloody Blades, or Cinderclaws, nor their ilk. "

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)

spacer.pngRenali smiles a little bit at Matilde. "They worship a god of destruction, so they're not much for conversation," she says with a chuckle.

She briefly looks at each of you, sizing you up, then says "Alright, I'll put it out in the open. As far as I'm concerned, the Cinderclaws are horrid, evil people. They've killed some of my friends, and I intend to avenge them."

"...And I'm why the portal is broken," she continues. "After I crossed over, I sabotaged it so that no more of them could come through. If I hadn't done that, they'd probably be invading your little town right now."

FOCUS POINTS: 1 | CURRENT: 1 | SPELL SLOTS:  1st: 4/4 | 2nd: 2/3

Vharag sizes up Renali with a calculating glance, the lingering magical aura she exuded earlier still a prominent concern in his mind. Meanwhile, he appreciates Baldric's disdain for his own aristocratic background, but remains cautious about the half-elf's true intentions and capabilities.

The broad-shouldered orc steps forward, his voice carrying the gruffness of his tribal heritage mixed with the authority of someone who has faced considerable horrors. "Renali, you've done well to stop more of those Cinderclaws from coming through. Sabotage is a tricky path—how can we be sure the portal won't be fixed by those same fiends, or worse, used against us?" As he speaks, a nagging thought gnaws at him—could Voz have slipped through the portal before it was sabotaged? The possibility adds a silent weight to his words.

His tone is not accusing but genuinely inquisitive, seeking to understand the full scope of what they are dealing with. He then turns slightly to address Baldric, "And you, ignoble rogue, speak of your disdain for titles yet you bear arms. Can you wield them effectively, or are they merely for show, meant to intimidate the weak-minded?"

Vharag's gaze sharpens as he continues, "If we're to trust each other, we need to know all that can be known. Renali, how do we ensure the portal remains closed, or better yet, use it to our advantage? Where may we find it, that we might rip for it the secrets of it's workings."

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

spacer.png"The portal needs a key. I think the cult leader has it," says Renali. "But, the portal also needs to be physically intact... so I did a bit of property damage." She smiles wryly. "I don't think they have the know-how to fix it. But, if your 'Voz' is helping them... we might need to hurry."

"The Ring is this way," she says, leading you to the east. She guides you through a small area with a thick sheet of spiderwebs hanging from the northern wall. If you look closely (Perception DC 18) you notice these are actually the walls of a cleverly disguised tent-like structure.

checked-shield.svg AC: (21) | health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +8 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

Arionne was many things, but she was usually too busy thinking things over in her head to catch the little details of what was right in front of her. She missed the tent completely, too focused on what Renali had been saying. The idea of destroying the Elf Gates had horrified her, but as the woman kept talking Arionne was relieved to hear that she'd just sabotaged it. She took the lead, but her mind was still caught up in what they were discussing.

"Do you have the know how to fix it?"

If she didn't, the woman had stranded herself here, countless leagues away from home.

"We need that key, which means we need to find Voz. After that, we can deal with the rest of the cultists."

Her scales flickered as she renewed the binding which kept them there, and then she was pressing on.

Mechanics

Action 1:  

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+5 12

Posted (edited)

spacer.png"No," she admits. "I don't know how to fix it, either."

Matilde and Vharag point out the the 'tent', and Renali says "That's where we were hiding out." If asked why it's made of spider webs, she just says "Had to work with what was available," as if that explains everything.

Arionne suddenly remembers having read about the anadi. They are a reclusive Mwangi people who magically disguise themselves as human because they learned long ago that most humanoids are not fond of giant spiders. They are also known for their ability to create almost anything out of spider-silk. Renali must be one, that must be what she's been so guarded about.

Name
Syhlas Perception
1d20+7 6
Vharag Perception
1d20+6 18
Matilde Perception
1d20+9 16
Baldric Perception
1d20+7 11
Loremaster
1d20+6 12
Society
16; 5
1d20+9;1d20+4 [7]; [7,1]

Arionne paused, taking a moment to process the information.

"You stranded yourself here?"

The knowledge that Renali was some sort of giant spider, hidden within humanoid flesh was disturbing. The fact that she might have damaged the gate, with no way to repair it, was devastating. Of the two revelations, the later was far more pressing.

Mechanics

Action 1:  

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9

Posted (edited)

spacer.png"I'm sure it can be fixed... just not by me," she grumbles. "...Let's just keep moving, shall we?"

The next area is a larger cavern which is 'decorated' with old bones and a few pieces of broken furniture. In here you find more charau-ka, along with a small, grotesque creature that looks like an unholy mix of man and insect. Upon seeing you, they immediately attack.

The man-bug cloaks himself with an invisibility spell while the charau-ka move in to strike. But Renali quickly casts a spell to stymie them, blinding them with an array of flashing colors. She takes a few hits for her trouble - these charau-ka seem quick to react, perhaps thanks to the man-bug's guidancein other words, the charau-ka have Reactive Strike until their 'leader' is defeated - but as the charau-ka blindly stumble and flail, it's clear that her spell still had an effect.

Round 1

(the above Perception rolls are also your initiative rolls for this fight)

Lil' Ugly
:TwoActions:cast Invisibility on self
:OneAction:spacer.png

Renali
:OneAction:Stride
:TwoActions:Color Spray vs CK1-3 - provokes CK1 Reactive Strike

CK1 - stunned 1, blinded 1 round, dazzled 1 minute
:FreeAction:Shrieking Frenzy - quickened until end of turn
:OneAction:Seek
:OneAction:Trip vs Renali
:OneAction:Sickle Strike vs Renali

CK2 and CK3 - stunned 1, blinded 1 round, dazzled 1 minute
:OneAction:Seek

CK4
:OneAction:Throw Debris vs Renali
:OneAction:Whip Strike vs Renali

Party turn. @Bearlord @crazncanuck @TheRaconteur @VennDygrem @Zen Gypsy

Map

spacer.png

Name
Initiative (Perception) for charau-ka
1d20+6 20
Initiative (Perception) for Lil' Ugly Bastard
1d20+12 20
Initiative (Perception) for Renali
1d20+12 20
Charau-ka Will saves
repeat(1d20+4,3) 11,10,10
Reactive Strike; slashing damage
18; 6
1d20+8;1d4+3 [10]; [10,3]
CK1 Seek
1d20+6 18
Trip vs Renali
1d20+6 7
CK1 Sickle Strike; slashing damage
22; 5
1d20+4;1d4+3 [18]; [18,2]
Concealment checks
repeat(1d20,2) 5,11
CK2 Seek
1d20+6 18
CK3 Seek
1d20+6 7
Throw Debris; bludgeoning damage
19; 7
1d20+8;1d6+3 [11]; [11,4]
Whip Strike; slashing damage
6; 6
1d20+3;1d4+3 [3]; [3,3]

image.jpeg.1bf506b13d468944173e567920351b56.jpegMatilde Canossa (Sheet) Human Cleric 3
HP: 36/41 | AC: 22* | Perception: +9 | Fort: +11 | Ref: +9 | Will: +7 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions: Shield (4) 10/12
Looking quite alarmed at the latest turn of events, Matilde raises her shield and plunges into the fray, trying to draw attention away from Renali and hopefully avoid further injury to her, even as she tried to bring her blade down on a pincered Charau-ka.

>Raise Shield
>Stride 1 N, 1 NE
>Strike

Edited by crazncanuck (see edit history)
Name
Rapier, Piercing
23; 16
1d20+10;2d6+4 [13]; [13,6,6]

FOCUS POINTS: 1 | CURRENT: 1 | SPELL SLOTS:  1st: 3/4 | 2nd: 2/3

He listened as Renali and Arienne spoke, the flame-haired scholar seemed very excited about the aiudara, however as they spoke of damage and repair, the shaman could only think of what benefit the stone's mastery would give him and his people. It was a crucial tool in a growing arsenal against the spreading corruption of Lamashtu. It was not a marvel to be admired, but a means to an end-a way to transport refugees, both kin and kine, from the dark clutches of his traitorous tribe into safer lands. A strategic asset, a tool that can be harnessed to protect those under his care. While others may marvel at it's mystical properties, it was, merely, a practical solution to a pressing problem. There was, however, a pressing sense of urgency, unlocking it's secrets to leverage it's power for the greater good.

Lost in his thoughts, chaos unfolded around him, snapping him back to the present. He stepped forward with a primal snarl, curling his thick, greenish lips. His hands weave through the air in intricate patterns as he channels the latent power of his shamanic forebears. Suddenly, a surge of raw, molten hot fire erupts from his mouth in a searing cone of flame, engulfing the three attackers in it's fiery embrace.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1: Stride N-N ((End directly south of CK # 3)

Action 2 & 3:  Cast Breath Fire (15 ft N, 15 Ft E; will Affect CK # 1, 2 & 3)

Edited by Zen Gypsy (see edit history)
Name
Breathe Fire [2d6 Fire Dmg; Basic Reflex DC 20]
2d6 1,3

spacer.pngBaldric | HP 38/38 | AC 21 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +11 | Speed: 30 | Perception: +7
Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus Points: 1/2 | Spellcasting: Cantrips | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Spell DC: 19

Conditions: N/A | Effects: Marshal's Aura (10 ft.)[Emotion] [Mental] [Visual]
You and all allies in the aura gain a +1 status bonus on saves against fear.
, Courageous Anthem (60 ft.)[Uncommon] [Bard] [Cantrip] [Composition] [Concentrate] [Emotion] [Mental]

You and all allies in the area gain a +1 status bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.
4 rounds, Shield cantrip

A wry smile creases Baldric's lips.

"Ah, you've mistaken my meaning, Vharag. I love titles. It's the undeserving people who bear them that I abhor. As for what I can do, I believe you shall find out soon."

As the party ventures forth, Baldric takes greater care to move quietly, bow gripped in hand. Unlike some bards, he doesn't feel the need to fill the air with pointless chatter, at least during tense moments such as this. Suddenly, however, they discover enemies and chaos erupts.

The commander begins barking out observations and picking out unique strengths and pointing out weaknesses in the enemies' positions. It's oddly inspiring...

He then draws an arrow and looses it toward the charau-ka struck by Matilde, hoping to focus-fire for greater impact, though in the tumult of sudden combat the shot goes wide. He then calls up a magic shield of force to protect against counter-attacks.

Free Action: Lingering Composition :FreeAction:1 FP - Cantrip composition with a duration of 1 round is extended to 3 or 4 rounds based on performance check (DC: Std. basic DC by level - 18 - unless otherwise set by GM), or remains 1 round but the FP is not spent on a failure.
Result: Critical Success - Duration extended to 4 rounds

Action 1: Courageous Anthem :OneAction: 60 ft. emanation from me - Baldric and all allies gain +1 status bonus to attacks, damage, and saves against fear effects.
Action 2: Ranged Bow Staff strike vs. CK 3 -edit- Hero Point to reroll attack
Action 3: Cast Shield cantrip on self

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)
Name
Performance (DC 18)
1d20+11 18
Ranged Strike
1d20+11 5
Rerolled Ranged Strike
1d20+11 2