General Character Discussion Thread

Papa Bear

So, having finished up the basics of my character, I decided to take a look at what others are building, and it's pretty obvious some of us are misunderstanding something (it might well be me and the ONE other person that seems to have done it the same way). I thought that one of the major changes in 6e was that complications no longer give you extra points, which is part of why characters have so many base points. If we're not doing it that way, I've got another 60 points to spend, otherwise, it looks like my basic build is done.

28 minutes ago, leons1701 said:

So, having finished up the basics of my character, I decided to take a look at what others are building, and it's pretty obvious some of us are misunderstanding something (it might well be me and the ONE other person that seems to have done it the same way). I thought that one of the major changes in 6e was that complications no longer give you extra points, which is part of why characters have so many base points. If we're not doing it that way, I've got another 60 points to spend, otherwise, it looks like my basic build is done.

That was my understanding, as well.

Again, this is the system virgin talking, but I thought Champion 6E in champions complete were different things. Related certainly but complete is basically a streamlining/simplification of 6E so some stuff will be different.

Do correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted (edited)

You are both correct

You can spend most of your Character Points without any requirements, but you only get to spend some of them if you take a matching value of Complications for your character.

page 13, 6th edition volume 1

That's kind of a tricky sentence and its expanded upon on page 28 under Character Points... but I don't think they describe it any better, honestly. I don't know why they made this change except maybe some players would build a character with less complications (limitations in 5e and before) and be 'weaker'... but I've never actually known anyone to not squeeze in as many points as possible

SO, you have 300 points to spend with a matching 60 points of complications, or 240 points to spend and another 60 from complications.

Its confusing in Champions complete because it says on page 9

The GM determines how many CP you can use to build your character, based on factors such as the campaign’s scope and the type of characters it features. See the Character Types Guidelines Table for suggestions (including typical CP for normal, everyday people for comparison).

but adds

Along with defining an amount of Starting CP (page 9) for building characters in his campaign, the GM also defines a required amount of Complications.

in the complications section starting on page 124. But thats really what 6e says too.

20 minutes ago, GleefulNihilism said:

Again, this is the system virgin talking, but I thought Champion 6E in champions complete were different things. Related certainly but complete is basically a streamlining/simplification of 6E so some stuff will be different.

Yes and No. Yes, Champions Complete is a streamlined Simplification of 6e, but it is not a different system. The 6e system is two volumes with 460 pages in the first and 320 pages in the second. That's almost 800 pages of rules with two different books to purchase (the first is pretty much just character creation with some stuff on how the system works, the second is the system rules). Champions Complete was a wise choice to make the game way, way more accessible.

You really only need Champions Complete (the Book) to play Champions 6e. The Champions 6e books can be used to better define things that are confusing in the much shortened Complete book.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Okay. So for an old school player like me, I get 240cp for free and can earn up to another 60cp by taking disads / complications.

I freely admit I didn't thoroughly read the Champions Complete 6e book. I was rushing to meet the 13 April deadline. I probably won't get the revised character sheet ready by the 13th, but you've got a good enough concept to accept/reject from what I've submitted already.

Edited by hakootoko (see edit history)

No worries on that mate @hakootoko. I am not requiring a completed character, at least not the crunch. I would like a good bit of fluff so I know what I'm getting. But I know Champions is complicated, even using Hero Designer.

OK, with the deadline fast approaching, I want you all to know a couple things;

A) As mentioned just above, i do not need a fully completed character sheet. The crunch of Champions is a lot of work. The more I have, the better, of course, but if you've taken some stabs at the crunch and a good bit of fluff and character concept for me to know what you've got/want to do, that's enough for me. I'm not so much ever worried about characters as first, participation and second working together. That's a lot of why I do that questionnaire thing. It helps me

get a sense of who you are and hopefully whether or not we (you and I and ultimately everyone else in the game) can work together to tell a romp of a story.

B) I fully expect to be working on our characters for at least a week or more after the deadline. That's kind of how champions is. I hope people don't think jumping into a champions game is as easy as most other games. The crunch alone with the Hero Designer Program is pretty bulky. The complications system alone is significant and can really define a character. But I think most champions players realize this. Heck, even a bunch who were involved in the discussion that got this game started didn't even try to start a character. Maybe they had no real intentions but wanted to see Champions represented or maybe when it started, decided they might not be able to commit to this daunting task.

C) For those of you who have jumped in, I THANK YOU! I love Champions and really hope this goes well. I'll be pushing for that and I don't give up on games (especially mine) easily. But if for whatever reasons, things don't work out (and I'm really NOT saying they won't or giving 'fair warning' or anything like that), I just want you all to know I've VERY MUCH enjoyed the past two weeks as we've worked toward launching the game. And if I've enjoyed it that much and we haven't even gotten to the game yet, I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to what's to come.

@GleefulNihilism, @hakootoko, @leons1701, @RedRajah, @crimsonjoe, @Solomon Black, & @RagallachMC, You all have nicely developed characters and with the exception of GN, have completed character sheets. But I did tell GN I'd help with the character sheet as GN is new to the game

I hate to drop people :( There are seven and I worry that might be too many. I generally like to take six and if I lose someone to the natural attrition of PbP games it still leaves the game with a core of 3-5 to keep moving forward.

Honestly, I'm tempted to just close the game and take all seven of you but I think we would have to enforce the 300 point characters instead of the 300 +60 point characters, which means people need to drop 60 points. I have to apologize because I saw the way I put it in the header and, especially for those of us who played earlier editions, it really reads as 300 CP +60 CP more from complication and that's probably because of my own history with the game and the way it used to be defined as opposed to the changes brought into 6e.

Maybe I boost the villains a tad (well, some of them, some are quite powerful enough as written)... let me think about this.

So anyway

Ah, so it's 300 *total* *with 60 points in complications*. My mistake.

No worries, still having issues writing powers out anyway. I can certainly do a little trimming. Wasn't planning on making mine a big powerhouse anyway.

Yeah as a neophyte to this game but having played other point buy games... it would never occur to me that numerically valued flaws would not give you extra points.

Anyways I think I can find 60 points without too much damage... to do that best though could we perhaps get a few more benchmarks?

Like I'm pretty sure I know what OCV and DCV do but I'm shooting in the dark on what is good enough or not. Same with how much Resistant PD/ED I might need to take a hit vs DCV's not getting hit.

I'm looking forward to playing- it's been years since I played Champions.

I'll go through Chess and find 60 points to remove. Sorry about the confusion over the points.