New direction discussion

scootloops

20 hours ago, RedRajah said:

When you say "horror", is it undead-heavy or misery/angst-heavy? Or both?

Both.
Arcane Library:
L3: Crypts of Azarumme - Undead horror
L4: Shadows of Lastwatch Keep - Drow problems
L5: Snow Stalkers - Monster/Supernatural horror
L6: Fangs of Otali - Pulp jungle adventure

Drakkenheim:
Described as Dark Fantasy and Cosmic Horror

Bringing everyone here for the discussion:

@Passione @morgan_ @Coruja @ResidualRose @Phntm888 @crimsonjoe @RedRajah @8w_gremlin @KingGoblin @PureChance

This is everyone who seems to be keeping up with the game at the moment. There are still 10 of us, so we'll have to decide who might want to stick around and who might want to find another game to go with. I'd like to whittle down to 6 players.

I would like to stick with as much of what we have as possible, but if you want to change up your character feel free to do so. Everyone is Level 3 for whatever we do next.

Please see this post for the current games on the table. I have the most interest for Drakkenheim right now, a dark fantasy, cosmic horror dungeon crawler. Otherwise, I'm personally leaning more on the Arcane Library and Where the Machines Wait, but don't let me be the end all decide because I'm open to any of the suggestions I made.

I'm struggling a bit when it comes to time to post, so I think I will back out of the game once we finish up where we are. I've enjoyed playing with everyone, but we're fast approaching a point where it will be easy for people to leave, so that is my plan.

Same Setting & Characters Other Setting & Characters Dropouts
Ruins of Grendelroot Arcane Library Where the Machines Wait Dungeons of Drakenheim The Styes Uncaged, Volume 1 Lost Shrine of Tamoachan Whiteplume Mountain

@Coruja

@morgan_

@Coruja  

@Coruja

@Passione

@8w_gremlin

@morgan_

@PureChance

@Phntm888

So far this is what we get. @scootloops, you can paste it on your first post, first page, for easy access.

Edited by Coruja (see edit history)

@RedRajah and I are going to drop out. Neither one of us are horror fans, and I've been getting slammed with real life work issues. It's been fun playing with everyone, and we hope everyone has a blast in the new setting.

Thanks for playing! really enjoyed the dynamics between Arden and Tseren, won’t forget em! Maybe we’ll cross paths again in the future

12 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Looks like the drake thing is most popular. I would be fine trying that. Although a dungeon crawl makes me wonder if my character fits any more.

It's preferred to keep the characters, but scoot already said it's fine to either fine tune them or change them completely.

I myself would like to tweak or change it. I don't like vanilla ranger.

43 minutes ago, PureChance said:

What don't you like about it out of interest?

Things are either very situational or outright useless. I prefer the variants. They are more versatile in order to help the group.

As in just the favoured enemy & favoured terrain you mean? Compared to favoured foe and deft explorer?

I agree the latter are more generically useful. I still think there's a place for the former options depending on the campaign and story style, but that requires a degree of cooperation with the GM. Especially for the favoured terrain as exploration is often a pillar that gets glossed over, especially with all the features that trivialise surviving the wilds (looking at you Outlander background, and to a lesser extent Goodberry). For it to be a fun feature I think it needs to have up and downtime, anything that's permanently on risks being forgotten rather than being "aha, my character has got this!"

In general though, I'd agree putting the usefulness of a feature in the hands of the GM rather than the player is poor design.

As for favoured enemy Vs favoured foe, I think the former has way more flavour, but again requires some kind of cooperation with the GM to make sure you're not picking something useless

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)