Reduce the width of the site?

35 minutes ago, Eric said:

@Colin@bwatford Have we decided how to tackle this one--theme adjustments or top-level template overrides?

The forum software is based around a responsive/fluid design, there is not a max-width currently set. If we set one then it begins to defeat the purpose of the design. Coming up with that hard cap (max-width) is the current issue as well. Minimal max-width suggestions as of 2021 was 1024 px with a maximum not suggested. The site uses 95% which is the 'best practice' so the site adjust based on what's available to it.

Basically, if your desktop monitor is too wide (like mine 3440px wide) then the site will stretch across the entire available space. I use 1/3 of my screen for my browser due to that very reason.

If the team can come up with a max-width number, I would be glad to activate it as such.  We could try 1280px or 1920px (the current top end of average site design in 2021)

I am working on giving cell phones small borders (padding) to account for beveled edges while in portrait mode, still trying to tackle the dead space on the right side at the moment.

I have limited the maximum width of the site to 1280 on all themes for testing and feedback.

Feedback is appreciated at this time.

EDIT: The cell phone dead space issue has been corrected and small margins have been put into place to account for beveled edge screens.

Just now, farothel said:

I just reloaded the site and it became smaller on my screen.  It used to take up just about the whole screen and now it's just in the middle, as if it got squeezed.  It looks as if the margins have become much larger.

We are currently running a test of max-width size for the site.  It is currently set to 1280 for the test.

Users with large monitors were asking for a max-width so the site did not stretch across their entire screens.

We were looking at 1280 or 1920 as a max.  \

Your feedback is welcome here:

https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/215-reduce-the-width-of-the-site/page/2/#comments

2 hours ago, bwatford said:

I have limited the maximum width of the site to 1280 on all themes for testing and feedback.

Feedback is appreciated at this time.

EDIT: The cell phone dead space issue has been corrected and small margins have been put into place to account for beveled edge screens.

I would prefer it wider.  Now it's like half of the screen and it feels like a lot of wasted space.

25 minutes ago, farothel said:

I would prefer it wider.  Now it's like half of the screen and it feels like a lot of wasted space.

I figured the happy median would need to be found.

I have increased the Dark Night theme to 1920 px for comparison.

EDIT: I have increased the max-width of all themes to 1920px which is probably going to be the happy median for all desktop users.

12 hours ago, bwatford said:

I figured the happy median would need to be found.

I have increased the Dark Night theme to 1920 px for comparison.

EDIT: I have increased the max-width of all themes to 1920px which is probably going to be the happy median for all desktop users.

That's indeed a nice compromise.