Reduce the width of the site?

I want to open by saying I really dig everything in the new site that I've played around with so far. My only real issue right now is the site is really wide.

There's probably some more technical term for this, but the old site limited the width of the central content so that things wouldn't stretch across the entire screen. This new site has no such width restriction, which means text will stretch out across the whole thing in an uncomfortable way. I think it'd be great if we could limit the maximum width of the content again, so it uses the whole real estate on narrow screens, but doesn't get out-of-hand on widescreen setups.

And then I should maybe keep these in a separate topic, but since I'm posting anyway, two smaller things that are probably more about my personal taste than anything else: I'd like it if the main content was just a little smaller on a desktop (the base font size is kinda large, but I guess I can just zoom out a bit), and I'd like it if the boxes I could type in were a different color than the area around them. Right now, for example, in this text box, there's not even a line between the text area and the "choose files" box below it or the text options area above it.

Really excited for the changes in general, thanks for all the hard work!

The extra width on MW4.2 was just "added" as a side-consequence of shrinking padding to make the front forums a bit tighter. I'll have to see if we can control that independently. However, I will note that we've had separate requests to use more screen space laterally rather than less, so this is likely in the "can't please everyone" camp.

I've been on both sides of this argument in my short time here. I love the idea of wider posts compared to OGMW, but I don't know if we're in a happy place yet with how the new one looks. I'm wondering if our eyes/minds will adjust after a week+ or usage.

I did start to get accustomed to it in the game posts during closed beta. 

I'm glad we're using more of the screen as a whole, but I think finding a maximum width is a good idea.  

I wonder if there's a way to limit things based on percentages?  Like maybe 80% max-width?  Some empty space is good, after all, but you don't want too much.  Obviously, we'd have to play around with that number, if there is one, and see how it looks and feels before setting a standard. 

I wonder if it could be tied to site themes?

5 minutes ago, Yamazaki said:

I wonder if it could be tied to site themes?

It is, per Eric above:

14 hours ago, Eric said:

We will fix the layout on MW4.2, just a matter of finding the right variable.

It’ll be dug into at some point soon. 🙂