The White Hart Inn

Sorithar

2 hours ago, Draidden said:

Actually, Rodin does not have a weapon in his hands at the moment, so I do not believe he gets an AoO.

This is correct and why Rodin did not get an AoO. Though the breath of the creature is also a Supernatural ability and not a ranged attack and so does not provoke AoO.

11 hours ago, Draidden said:

I was under the impression that these were low level encounters designed for 1st level characters. Maybe challenging encounters, but still for low level characters, and that we were just rolling crappy and getting or backsides handed to us.

This is correct. We also expanded the group from five to seven members. Most of these encounters have some manner of way around them as well, but ultimately, this is being largely influenced by the fact that for some ungodly reason, the dice just do not seem to favor players while they do favor the DM.

Take this encounter alone. Every round, no more than 1-2 players have managed to hit the creature, despite it not having any sort of crazy AC, by contrast, its breath has a 1d4 round charging cycle and I've rolled a 1 every single round!

I keep thinking your luck will turn around eventually, but this has not materialized yet. Which is part of why I don't think going away is what's going to make the difference here. Consistently bad rolls, barely being able to break a 10, will lead to loses anywhere and while the DM can and should fudge dice from time to time, doing so regularly defeats part of the purpose.

I think you've done a good job strategizing since the new arrivals joined you in general so I would encourage you to not get too disheartened.

Hey Chaz.

I think you could be attacking with the crossbow.

The round before this, it appears you took a 5 ft. step, but no move action. You could load the light crossbow that round as the move action. Then attack and reload the weapon this round.

Alternatively, even if you didn't load the crossbow last round, you still have an unused standard action this round which could be used to attack, since you only continued to sing (free action) and loaded the crossbow (move action).

Hope that's correct and it helps! 😀

We need to get out of here.

There is almost no way to kill this thing, and now it has found water in the tiny pool that is way over six feet deep.

Last round I rolled a 22, so assuming it has normal cover from deep water it gets a +4 bonus.

If an 18 doesn't touch it, then it's way too hard for 1st level PCs to kill, especially since it seems to regenerate its health every round.

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

Unfortunately, I think our companion with the rope is one of the PCs drowning in the pond.

Perhaps she can use it to save herself?

Does anyone else have a rope?

On 3/3/2024 at 5:55 PM, Terran said:

We need to get out of here.

There is almost no way to kill this thing, and now it has found water in the tiny pool that is way over six feet deep.

Last round I rolled a 22, so assuming it has normal cover from deep water it gets a +4 bonus.

If an 18 doesn't touch it, then it's way too hard for 1st level PCs to kill, especially since it seems to regenerate its health every round.

To be clear, I didn't say your bolt didn't hit, only that Jesse couldn't see if it hit. The pools depth is such that the bottom is dark when the cave is lit.

3 hours ago, Terran said:

Unfortunately, I think our companion with the rope is one of the PCs drowning in the pond.

Perhaps she can use it to save herself?

Does anyone else have a rope?

Aeruiel actually makes it to the edge of the spring with little trouble, on her turn, FYI. Anyone else for actions?

To be clear, I didn't say your bolt didn't hit, only that Jesse couldn't see if it hit.

Appreciate the clarification! Thanks! 😃