Session 2: Eldritch

GM Saint

@Diofant@WolfBirch @TheGospel @Rumrunner @Knave

Morning comes. Some of you sleep in a little but Murdain's floor is hardly accommodating but those of you who got rooms enjoy the quiet comfort of the Fateless Father. Ved. You emerge from your room in time to see your father not far ahead of you. "I don't see a stupid grin on your face. Couldn't follow through, huh?" he taunts on his way into the common room where he stops. "Sparks.." comes the curse as he spots the mayor sitting at a table.

Ved sr. and the mayor, Draugr Creed, weren't really friends. Mayor Creed had a reputation too similar to your father's that they were either going to be close friends or not friendly at all. "I'm getting one of those sausage rolls and pissing off," he said, ducking into the kitchen. He'd probably go out the back door afterwards.

Last night you delivered the broken man to the sheriff's house. Luckily she was home and not out wandering. You gave her an explanation of what happened and she took the man 'for now.' This was probably why the mayor was here.

Aaliyah. You enjoy your first night sleeping in a town and in a proper, normal bed instead of the mounds of blankets or leaves you've been accustomed to. You're already up and downstairs eating by the time anyone else shows up. The innkeeper wasn't the best cook but Agatha Valeborn did at least cook daily. In the morning, it was usually sausages baked in sweet rolls, as it was this morning.

You got downstairs and the woman gave you a warm enough smile. "You're not local, lass. Valeborn, are ya? Or did you come here on your own?"

Murdain, Barkvin, Souris. You hunker down for the night and sleep well enough. Murdain, however, you wake at some point during the night with this overwhelming sense that something was watching you. You get the feeling that something had taken a look at you during the night, something that wasn't there.

Except for Ved and Aailyah, you may arrive at the inn, where I assume you'll meet up, whenever you want.

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 3 

AC: 16+1 | HP: 36/36 | Hit dice: 3/3d10

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8; DC 13 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2

Attacks Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack55 | Menacing attack | Trip attack | DC 13;

Ved doesn't make eye contact with the old man, and gives a non-committal grunt in response to the lewd suggestion. It's not that he's uncomfortable or a prude - when on leave with his fellow mercenaries he gets on pretty much as one might expect. He just can't stand the old man. He knows that ignoring him completely would be a provocation his father would not ignore, and Ved fears to provoke his father, but the last thing he wants is to get caught in conversation with the old bandit, especially if it meant Aaliyah hearing.

The appearance of the Mayor is a blessing in a number of ways. It gets rid of Ved Sr and saves Ved Jr a walk. He drops down into the seat opposite. "So, I found the creature killing the herds. It got four hunters yesterday too. It's way more dangerous than we would have assumed - probably from a different plane altogether, and invisible. I'm putting together a party to hunt it, but you need to bump the bounty up to cover the number of blades this is going to take."

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

image.jpeg.d1261904b8e88d5006bb134ece4bfd13.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Wizard | Level: 3 | AC: 14| HP: 22/27 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +6 | 1d10+4 slash/pierce - Vine | +7 | 1d8+7 piercing
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Green-Flame Blade18

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack +6  | Spells (lvl2) [o][x]

Spells Known (4): Hex, Armor of Agathys, Shield, Mirror Image, Shatter

Aaliyah stretches out in the bed, deciding that towns were quite nice. She hops up and starts to dress as her stomach reminds her she skipped dinner last night. Tucking Leaf in her belt, she puts on the same dress and bolts to where she smells food.

"Oh I was born in the Vale ma'am, on the east side of it. I'm only passing through here to go see the dwarves."

Edited by TheGospel (see edit history)

"East aye? Quite a trip you've made then for a lass so young." She hands you a plate. "Are you going to be staying long?"

Just then, you feel a tap on your shoulder.  You turn and its one of the girls from last night. Aria, was it? Her hair is down and still damp as if freshly washed. Her large spectacles so clean you can see your reflection in them.

"Excuse me. Did you say you were from the east? I hear there are lots of fey beings there. I'd love to buy your breakfast if you'd talk with me about it. I've always loved stories about the fey."

download.jpg.778fc9a57508f3c4a0244e47901983ae.jpg.162fe0beb7e97d3ca7350ac44512799a.jpg

Name Souris Garou | Class Druid 3 | AC: 16 | HP: 27/27 | Prof: +3 | PP: 16 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +3 / Wis +6 / Cha +0  |  AttacksShillelagh | +6 | 1d8+4 Bludgeoning   CantripsGuidance1, Shillelagh  |  Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape/Wild companion: ▣ ▣

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack: +6 | Level 1Entangle, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
Barkskin, Moonbeam, Pass without Trace
 ▣ | 
 LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

From the top of the counter Souris sat up and stretched.  She'd have rather slept in a bed, but she had slept in much worse and she'd been too tired to bother finding somewhere else.  It was well and good enough to not have slept on the floor.  There were some vague recollections of the others moving the Skorn character to the town sheriff's custody, which was fine by her and she thought she may have mumbled something to that effect, but she may have just groaned and rolled towards the wall.  Murdain's house smelled like wood chips and dust, which wasn't so bad all things considered.  She hadn't known what to expect from the dwarf's abode, but it seemed he liked to carve things.  Souris had never been much of an artist herself, but she did treasure the art she was given, he mask was one of those things.

Swinging her legs over the side of the counter, she hopped down.  Testing her muscles a bit she found herself not too sore, most of her exertion had been in wildshapes afterall, though the pain often payed a toll on her mentally.  Looking around she realized that she really didn't want to cook, there were still a few goodberries around, but sometimes a girl wanted an actual meal... most times really.  "Guys, I'm heading to the Father's for some breakfast, you comin?"

She didn't wait for an answer, instead she picked up her staff and headed out, shaping soon would be a good idea to get the kinks out from her sleep, but she wanted to eat first, maybe get a cup of something hot as well.  Ved was sitting with someone, and Aaliyah and Aria were talking, so Souris saw no reason not to head straight for the innkeeper.

"I would love some breakfast, could I get some with a hot drink.  Tea or coffee is fine." She handed over a silver and hoped that would suffice.

Mechanics

Name Aaliyah | Class Wizard | Level: 3 | AC: 14| HP: 22/27 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +6 | 1d10+4 slash/pierce - Vine | +7 | 1d8+7 piercing

"Sure! I'm waiting for my new friends but id love to meet more people." Aaliyah responded cheerily, taking her own food and some hot water and finding a table. "I grew up among the fey and I have all kinds of stories. Did you know there's a big sleepy dragon to the east named Chloranox? She doesn't bother us but she's why not many travel there."

"Oh. SOURIS! Come eat with us. This is my new friend..." she didn't know the girls name yet.

Murdain.png.7541035011445ee62ce0a68e221882f9.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class: Rogue(Soulknife) 3 | AC: 14+1 | HP: 30/30 | Prof: +2 | Init: +3 | PP: 14 | Speed: 30ft

SavesStrength: +0
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +2
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +2
Charisma: -1
 | Special AbilitiesDarkvision 60ft
Sneak Attack: 2d6
Cunning Action: Bonus to Dodge, Dash, Hide.
Psionic Power: 4d6, LR. Recharge 1/SR as a Bonus Action. 4/4
Psi-Bolstered Knack: Add Psionic Die, expend on success only, when failing Ability Check or Tool with Prof.
Psychic Whispers: Telepathy for 1d6 hours, 1mile. Prof target +you. Action. Free 1st time.
Psychic Blades: 1d6/1d4. Simple [Light] Melee Finesse Thrown. Range 60ft.
 | AttacksPsionic Blade | +5 | 1d6+3 Psychic / 60
Psionic Dagger | +5 | 1d4 Psychic / 60
Shortsword | +5 | 1d8+3 Slashing
Dagger | +5 | Piercing / 20/60
Shortbow | +5 | 1d6+3 Piercing / 80/320
 | ToolsThieves Tools: +5
Woodcarver's Tools: +5
 | Skills+Athletics: +2
+Acrobatics: +5
++Stealth27: +7
Sleight of Hand: +3
Arcana: +1
Nature: +1
History: +1
Religion: +1
+Investigation +3
Animal Handling: +2
Medicine +2
Insight +2
+Perception: +4
Survival: +2
++Deception: +3
Performance: -1
Intimidation: -1
Persuasion: -1

ConditionsTale of the Traveller: +4 THP, +1 AC, +10ft Speed. Lasts until THP is expended. | Death SavesFailed: 0/3
Succeeded: 0/3
 | Hit Dice3d8: 0 Used.
 |
Lucky5: 2/2|  Psionic5: 4/4InventoryA crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp, Cloak of Elvenkind, thieves' tools, woodcarver tools, 2x daggers
Leather armor, explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.), Shortsword, shortbow, 20x arrows

After being woken by the strange feeling, the dwarf did not immediately open his eyes. Giving away the fact that he understood something looked at him, and that the presence, if he could describe it that way, wasnt in his home, was a poor choice. He turned to his other side and faked a short cascade of snores, hoping someone else would wake and maybe confirm or deny his understanding. As nobody did, he spent the rest of the night in uneasy slumber. Being attacked here was not out of question - the watchmen were lousy, as the incident with the assailant yesterday showed. What else could it be? Far sight... Well, usually magic. He'd heard of ways magic folk could spy through familiars, but didnt feel anything in his house - some kind of a crystal ball thing vision? Everyone's heard of those. Maybe he could even pay someone to identify who this... peeper was. The dwarf couldnt quite stomach calling this 'spying'.

Morning arrived, and Murdain began it the usual way - taking a knife to a small piece of wood he'd chosen the day before. It wasnt detailed enough to be called a sculpture, but he would finish the work later. It was important to have a routine to keep you sane. After hiding the statue in the small back room, and making sure the door was closed, he nodded to Souris on her way out, and followed her a few moments later after letting know Barkvin where they'd gone. The dwarf, likewise, had approached the innkeeper.

"Morning. Coffee if you've got it, tea iffen not. If you've any pie, I'll take a slice, other than that, whatever you've got's fine by me." He would have to discretely find out if Souris and Barkvin felt the same thing yesterday. Not now, and not here, though. Not with strangers and the kid about.

OOC/Mechanics

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

Mayor Creed sets his fork down and sits back a hit, letting out a slow sigh. "I take it we've one more single mother in town now? Damn it all."

"Killing this thing is gonna be a small comfort to his wife, a cold one. As for gold, you have any proof this is some kind of magical monster?"

download.jpg.778fc9a57508f3c4a0244e47901983ae.jpg.162fe0beb7e97d3ca7350ac44512799a.jpg

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +3 / Wis +6 / Cha +0  |  AttacksShillelagh | +6 | 1d8+4 Bludgeoning   CantripsGuidance1, Shillelagh  |  Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape/Wild companion: ▣ ▣

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack: +6 | Level 1Entangle, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
 ▣ | 
 LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

Souris froze for a moment at Aaliyah's invite.  The fey girl's friendliness seemed boundless, but then there was no way she could know about the events of the night prior.  She could have of course excused herself from the invite, and quite likely Aaliyah would have accepted that without explanation, but Ethel wasn't there and she was the unreasonable one.  Besides, she liked Aaliyah, and not just for the scritches.  So, with a nod to Murdain, that could have been an invite as well, she meandered over to the table.

"Good morning Aaliyah, did you sleep well Aria?" She asked casually as she sat.

Mechanics

Aria locks her lips a bit nervously when Souris is invited over but smiles anyway. "I did, thank you. Ethel is still sleeping off a bit of tea I made her," she confesses. "She really will worry herself to death but I think we're safe enough for the moment.

I do hope you understand her threats last night. She's had to watch out for me since she was a little girl. You appearing in our room... she was going to stay up all night, watching and waiting, I'm afraid."

image.jpeg.d1261904b8e88d5006bb134ece4bfd13.jpeg

"Oh! You've already met - you were very busy last night Souris." She popped a bite of the sausage roll into her mouth and sipped at her minty tea between bites. The other two girls had had some kind of misunderstanding last night and she was more interested in that than story time. She did notice Ved nearby talking to someone and it made her wonder when the others would wake up. They had a monster to kill!

▣ | 

Listening to Aaliyah talk, Souris gave a small smile.  It was partially satisfaction, partially sympathetic, who knew what it came across as and it was too early for anything but candor.  "No busier than you Aaliyah, you lot were pretty busy yourselves with catching that deranged fellow." She caught herself before going on, looking to Aria and wondering if she should. "Aria, its fine, caring for family is a good thing...  you study people and places right, have you ever heard of the Skorn?" Her food arrived and she was glad for it, giving a quick thanks and silver before picking up one of the rolls and giving it a try.

Mechanics

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 3 | AC: 18 | HP: 30/30 | Prof: +2 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +2 / Dex +1 / Con +2 / Int +0 / Wis +5 / Cha +1 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +4 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +3 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame  Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 13 | Spell Attack +5

Level 1 | (4/4) | Command, Bless (+d4), Bane (-d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+6 healing), Healing Word (1d4+6 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (2/2)  | Hold Person, Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+3 force)

Sleeping on a hard floor was nothing new to the half orc.  Most of his life he had slept on the ground.  Sleeping in a bed was a luxury that he couldn't afford.  He woke up late and hurried after the other two after splashing some water on his face, offering a quick invocation and making sure that Murdain's place was locked up.  By the time he got to the inn he had built up an appetite.  He closed the door and took a deep breath in through his nose.  The berry last night had filled his belly, but this called to him.  It might not be the best food that he ever had, but it was warm and made you satisfied in body and soul.  "Aye, Agatha, a short mug of ale and some of your famous sausage rolls, if ye please."  Barkvin smiles looking round at his companions and decides that Ved and the mayor look like they are talking business, so he slips in next to the ladies.  "Good Morning.  Looks like Sola has blessed us with another beautiful day.  Mind if I join ye?"  He sits quietly listening and waits for his food.  Who is this other person that they are talking with he wonders to himself?

Mechanics

Bonus Action: none

Move: none

Action: none

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)

Murdain.png.7541035011445ee62ce0a68e221882f9.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class: Rogue(Soulknife) 3 | AC: 14+1 | HP: 30/30 | Prof: +2 | Init: +3 | PP: 14 | Speed: 30ft

SavesStrength: +0
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +2
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +2
Charisma: -1
 | Special AbilitiesDarkvision 60ft
Sneak Attack: 2d6
Cunning Action: Bonus to Dodge, Dash, Hide.
Psionic Power: 4d6, LR. Recharge 1/SR as a Bonus Action. 4/4
Psi-Bolstered Knack: Add Psionic Die, expend on success only, when failing Ability Check or Tool with Prof.
Psychic Whispers: Telepathy for 1d6 hours, 1mile. Prof target +you. Action. Free 1st time.
Psychic Blades: 1d6/1d4. Simple [Light] Melee Finesse Thrown. Range 60ft.
 | AttacksPsionic Blade | +5 | 1d6+3 Psychic / 60
Psionic Dagger | +5 | 1d4 Psychic / 60
Shortsword | +5 | 1d8+3 Slashing
Dagger | +5 | Piercing / 20/60
Shortbow | +5 | 1d6+3 Piercing / 80/320
 | ToolsThieves Tools: +5
Woodcarver's Tools: +5
 | Skills+Athletics: +2
+Acrobatics: +5
++Stealth27: +7
Sleight of Hand: +3
Arcana: +1
Nature: +1
History: +1
Religion: +1
+Investigation +3
Animal Handling: +2
Medicine +2
Insight +2
+Perception: +4
Survival: +2
++Deception: +3
Performance: -1
Intimidation: -1
Persuasion: -1

ConditionsTale of the Traveller: +4 THP, +1 AC, +10ft Speed. Lasts until THP is expended. | Death SavesFailed: 0/3
Succeeded: 0/3
 | Hit Dice3d8: 0 Used.
 |
Lucky5: 2/2|  Psionic5: 4/4InventoryA crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp, Cloak of Elvenkind, thieves' tools, woodcarver tools, 2x daggers
Leather armor, explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.), Shortsword, shortbow, 20x arrows

While he waited for his order, Murdain listened in on the conversations being held. Some interesting bits of information; apparently someone named Ethel threatened Souris because of the girl named Aria? For what reason? Ved's conversation with the Mayor made sense, so he walked over to their table. "Pardon me, gentlemen." He reached into his backpack and produced the tentacle, wrapped up in a sack. "Think this is what you're askin' for, Master Creed." The dwarf returned to get his food, and took a seat beside Souris, reaching into her and Barkvin's minds. ~"Something spied on me yesterday night. Not physically. Either of you feel anything?"~

OOC/Mechanics

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 

Name
Duration
1d6 5

▣ | 

The table was quickly filled, so Souris swallowed back her bite of sausage roll and did her best to put Aria at ease. "Barkvin this is Aria, Aria - Barkvin.  Barky is a preacherman of Sola, he may talk your ear off so watch out." Grinning slightly at her little joke, she proceeded with further introductions with the dwarf approaching.  "Aria, this is Murdain, he's a local woodworker, makes some beautiful stuff... Aria here is a studier of people and places, particularly in the Vale, so I thought to ask her about the Skorn or was it Skarn?" She waived off the difference, assuming that there were not likely multiple groups with such similar names  "...or maybe know something of the symbol of a snake biting its own tail?" Her eyebrow raised in askance over her mug as she slurped her drink.

~damn... I thought that was just me, probably some sort of magical viewing then, keep your sense peeled for that sort of thing.  We're largely in the dark about this hunt so far, though from what I saw of that skorn's mind and the look of that staff, its a safe bet that at least one powerful magic user is involved.~

Mechanics