Main OOC Thread

iantruesilver

8 hours ago, Wiz said:

I've asked enough food-related questions.  If I ask one more, I'm liable to be transformed into a loaf of bread by a bored food-elf. 😉

XD I mean…

In other news, canadianisms were liberally applied here in Alli's speech. And I may continue to drop little bits here and there for funsies. Hope y'all don't mind.

4 hours ago, iantruesilver said:

I'm gonna give a day, but if nobody has any more rp / ic discussions for the dinner table, I'll lay down the next bits to move us along.

I’d some vague plans but catching up with a couple days of not working piled up.  Nothing much other than to protest selling things at night.  There is no rush and no reason to not do it at a regular marketplace in the light of day.  But Domino is more concerned about Violet at the moment.  If Val wants to go off, Domino isn’t stopping her.  The money isn’t that important.  It isn’t as if this is the first time Val has let herself get swindled.  

Okay so guys, I understand you both decided to enter this game with a joint background, and sometimes that can be difficult. Sometimes we each assume things about each other's character, and other times we don't sufficiently communicate our intents and those get misinterpreted by the other player.

I get that, it's annoying when it happens. But remember we are here to play together, and to enjoy this experience with one another. Understand that we (the players behind the masks) are all human, and we do make mistakes. I've done it, and so I'm sure have all of you at some point. The important part is to acknowledge whether it is seriously impacting the play experience, and then make whatever adjustments we might need according to the situation and move on to having fun again.

I'll ask everyone to work with each other as amicably as possible please. I believe you are all mature enough to resolve your differences without having to require me to mediate, but if that's necessary, I will.

3 hours ago, Wiz said:

Did you just invent a backstory in which Val was swindled? 😊

Val has a wisdom lower than your average fifth grader and the charisma of a plum.
 Any time Val went out shopping by herself she likely got swindled.   

20 minutes ago, iantruesilver said:

part is to acknowledge whether it is seriously impacting the play experience

Yes.

When someone craters their attributes and then does not acknowledge the defects they built into their characters is has a tremendous impact on enjoyment.   Wiz has his own choices and that’s fine but he could at least make a head fake towards acting as if his character had a seven wisdom and a seven charisma. 

Okay. So help me understand the disconnect/disagreement here.

@Wiz has tanked wis and cha on their build of Val. I'm not very much seeing that not played appropriately, rather that Val seems perhaps to be oblivious to the fact that she's oblivious? Am I misinterpreting anything here @Roughtrade, @Wiz?

Okay, I still want to hear from Roughtrade, but I'd like to know if anyone else is noticing a problem with my roleplay.  If you can recall moments when I wasn't acting like I had a low wisdom or charisma at a cruical juncture.  I know that I've deliberately made Val chose some very unwise courses of action... but that's from my perspective and I may be missing something.  Let me know if you have any examples of me being too wise or too charismatic, okay?  I want my roleplay to be good and not offend anyone.

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)

On 4/12/2023 at 6:14 PM, Wiz said:

Roughtrade, where do you see the roleplay mistake, please advise me how I'm not acting unwisely or being unapealing in my behavior.

I don't know.  I've never made a character that broken before.  But for a start, you want to be a gunslinger as a second class and you have tanked their two major attributes.  Val tried to seduce a guard in your very first post when she should be oblivious to the concept.  Not that it seemed to matter, the DC for bluff is supposed to be 10 + the sense motive of the target with a +10 for people who should be suspicious meaning the minimum DC on that should have been a 21 and you succeeded on an 11.  

Low Charisma is not supposed to be beauty, it's the ability to communicate and lead.  Stuttering, inarticulate, something.  I'd prefer not a nasty, vain, braggart but at least that would be an indication that Val doesn't know how to talk to people.  

Low Wisdom means no matter how smart you are in discovering alchemical formulas you're not smart enough to take safety measures when testing and probably lost a couple of fingers along with your eyebrows and half your hair.  

So my comment on Val getting swindled was just that.  Val has no real ability to tell when someone is lying and is blunt enough that people don't feel bad ripping her off.  The fact that you questioned the very idea that Val might have gotten cheated is what tells me you are not properly roleplaying the attributes.

The game is a game.  I am having fun with the interactions and the story.  I like the dream thing, it is a tremendously innovative idea and a nice touch to let players do things with high level concepts which is a rarity in play by post gaming.  I may steal that idea. 

Val is your character, do what you want.  It's up to Ian to protest about it, not me.  I am only answering questions which were asked.  

The statement was made; acknowledge things which are impacting the experience.  I am unfond of how you built Val, but it isn't my character.  It was a bad day for me.  On another day it might not have bothered me enough to say anything.  I've been blowing it off until now.  I might be able to continue to do so.  If not, then I will find a way to exit.  If Ian would rather I exit now, well, this is a decent place where I won't be leaving anyone in the lurch.  

Okay.  So I will discuss the things that have either already been addressed, or that have already occured in this game, such that we are not getting into speculation for the sake of arguing.

5 hours ago, Roughtrade said:

I don't know.  I've never made a character that broken before.  But for a start, you want to be a gunslinger as a second class and you have tanked their two major attributes.

I've addressed this with @Wiz as GM and player.  I'm not the kind of GM that dictates how players must build their characters.

Screen1.jpg.eab45de44ca89e7a0c3d9e88e3125994.jpg Screen2.jpg.9741ebdc25412b37b647a4f25b65f57d.jpg

The consequences of tanking 3 stats have been explained to @Wiz in my best abilities, and it is their choice to build play their character this way.  If they understand the consequences and accept them, that's fine with me.

Val tried to seduce a guard in your very first post when she should be oblivious to the concept.

I feel like there's some miscommunication here.  So first of all, I'll own up to my part.

The entirety of that cult lair thing was not necessary as a beginning dungeon crawl.  It was my idea to put it there, as a plot device to get the group to meet Violet in media res.  There were challenges in that dungeon with CR's that were well above what your party could handle as a whole, and the whole affair was overall unfair to every single one of you.  The fact that I gave some leniences was so that we don't have a TPK right out the gate.

Speaking specifically aobut that one encounter where Val interacted with the guard.  Actually, the guard had already looked at Val lewdly from the get go, Val didn't so much try to seduce the guard, as she did use bluff to play to something that the mook already wanted to believe in.

DC for bluff is supposed to be 10 + the sense motive of the target with a +10 for people who should be suspicious meaning the minimum DC on that should have been a 21 and you succeeded on an 11.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from in this case.

Reference: https://aonprd.com/Skills.aspx?ItemName=Bluff

Check: Bluff is an opposed skill check against your opponent’s Sense Motive skill.

Even without applying the circumstance that, as stated above, the mook wanted to believe Val's bluff, he rolled an opposed Sense Motive of 7.

And besides that, the situation plus the beginning of that combat was, as I've admitted to their side of things, not very well delineated, which is really a fail on my part.  Add to that, the lot of them were gearless, weaponless, practically next to nude, up against two guards with weapons and armour.

Rain almost went from fulll to negative just from literally one blow from the one guard with a dagger.  The other one had a Ranseur, and a gate between him and the rest of the group to start with.  Imagine if I hadn't given the group a little tiny bit of leeway.  I imagine not everyone would be alive and with us at this moment.

So if there's any disgruntlements about how things that have already played out went?  That's fully on me.

Low Charisma is

Low Wisdom means

on Val getting swindled

These parts I will not discuss, as I do not feel it fair to dictate or impose what has or has not happened off-screen prior to game start on my players based on stat choices, and that I am sure you dislike others telling you how to roleplay your character as I feel this part is leaning, realism or not.

That said, there has already been a few of times in that dungeon where a relatively low Wis and Cha has impacted Val (twice in the way of failed perception checks and once in the way of a failed intimidate), and when such occasions arise again, I intend to continue adjudicating the rules as fairly as possible and as need be for all of us to continue to have a good gaming experience.  I've simply not made a huge deal about these fails, as I feel it unnecessary to further penalize PCs for things they've failed a roll on, beyond what consequences of what the roll should entail.

Similarly, when Domino failed a diplomacy/intimidate that I asked for with the guards, I didn't make a huge deal out of it.  In fact, when the others pitched in and Rain rolled successfully, the one guard that Domino had talked to tucked tail and ran, which took him out of combat for the first couple of rounds, softening that encounter a bit for an easier experience for the group.

6 hours ago, Roughtrade said:

The game is a game.  I am having fun with the interactions and the story.

I hope so.

I like the dream thing, it is a tremendously innovative idea and a nice touch to let players do things with high level concepts which is a rarity in play by post gaming.  I may steal that idea.

By all means!  I'm glad you enjoyed that little experiment, I honestly was not sure how it would work out.  But now that we've had a little taste and you've all mostly reported that it was good, I may use it again sometime.

If Ian would rather I exit now

I chose each of you for a reason, and that's the belief that we could all play well together and enjoy this experience together.  At this point, I'm just trying to sort out some of the kinks/differences between everyone so that we can continue doing that.