IC: Vengeance of the Vanderborens

Fiery Gift

It was just a couple days ago that the wizened halfling woman came to your abode to deliver the letter.

Tann had thought the letter was for her mentor Icefalcon and was surprised when the halfling, who only shared the name Kora insisted it was for Tann. Icefalcon raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

Urthan received the note from the smaller messenger in an envelope addressed "To the up and coming gladiator, Urthan"

Alura was floating near the docks near sunset with Pater when the halfling approached both of them. Is this the one you told me about?
 Kora asked, nodding with her chin toward the mermaid. Yes answered the old man. Alura's exactly who your mistress need.

The little halfling nodded curtly and whipped a pen out of her pocket and dipped into a small jar from her belt. Alura

she wrote on the envelope and handed it to the mermaid.

Seraphim actually received her letter from her uncle Argyle. When she entered his tavern for a night of fun and profit, he had the note waiting for her. This came for you today.

Iridni was sitting in Eiria's front room when Kora arrived. How the aged halfing had known whe would be there is anyone's guess. Kora handed the note to Iridni. The parchment felt heavy in Iridni's hand as she took the envelope. The half elf could almost feel the note pulling her down a new path in life even before she opened it.

Got a date? her friend teased curiously as Iridni opened at the envelope.

Fiona received her letter in the common room of her parent's inn. As she took the letter from Kora, she could see Marybell in the corner nursing an ale and watching side eye at the transaction. See you later, dear Kora said.

Inside everyone's envelope was a simple note. . .

Invitation.JPG

Edited by Fiery Gift (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

That night as you gather together at the Vanderboren's manor at the east end of the Merchant district, you see your sometime acquaintancesEach other.

An eight foot high stone wall surrounds the estate and makes it impossible to miss. Behind the wall is a towering, gothic style, three story house that dominates the grounds within. The roof is festooned with leering gargoyles and the columns of the house are adorned with nymphs carved in relief. A curtain of fruit bearing trees give a buffer to the sounds and bustle of the street. A curt, aged-looking security officer opens the gates to you when you arrive and show your invitation, but he offers only a simple gesture to guide you into the house.

A few moments later, the wizened Kora, who delivered the message to you earlier opens the door and politely asks you to wait in the atrium. Thank you for coming. Lady Vanderboren will be with you shortly.

And she hustles away to announce your arrival. You look around the pleasantly adorned atrium and one another, waiting for Vanderboren's arrival.

Edited by Fiery Gift (see edit history)

1192150860_IridniHeadshot.png.22b5e0ac7f7b6f5846f50345f56e69bc.png 

Current Mental Focus Investiture

3 Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

Iridini had flushed at Eiria's teasing, though she refused to think about why she was flushing, or why her breath caught at the prospect that Eiria might think she did have some sort of date, or anything of the sort. It was hardly the other woman's business even if she did (she didn't) because they were just... friends. Who slept together sometimes. 

The actual letter though, was not an invite from some unknown admirer, thank all the gods for that. No, it was an offer from one of the local nobility - she knew the name Vanderboren in passing, though little more than that - to come meet with her at her estate. Iridni was not the sort of scream with joy, but she did give Eiria an uncharacteristically enthusiastic hug of joy as she realized what this letter could be.

By the time she'd actually come to the estate, she'd allowed herself to temper her expectations. The odds are good this would not mean she had a patron for a truly deep ranging expedition, or even the sort of deep historical study she wanted to do at an Olman ruin. But at the very least, whatever this job was, one had to assume it involved her historical expertise, or why bother with a new member of the Witchwardens like her, with only minor things to her magical name, for the moment. And if she did it well, she might be able to develop a solid patron relationship with Vanderboren. Fingers crossed.

When she saw the others who had presumably been summoned by Lady Vanderboren, she had to revise her guess. She only recognized one of them - Tann, who was a fellow new member of the Witchwardens she'd seen around, and from what little Iridni knew of the woman, was reasonably skilled at using magic in combat. Some of the others looked like they'd be formidable combatants - namely, the two half-orcs. She couldn't help but appreciate them both, physically, for a moment, but she turned her mind back to the question of why they were here.

Adventurers, perhaps? Troubleshooters? You only get a diverse grouping of skills like this together for an irregular sort of problem, generally.

Iridni didn't see herself as an adventurer, really, but someone could assume such based on her well-publicized (at least among anyone who moved in the relevant circles) desire to go out into local ruins and take artifacts back from them. And it could be lucrative, if she survived. her mother made a solid sum on it during her brief tenure. And the basic goal of impressing a noble to take as a patron remained.

"Iridni Sharn," she introduced herself, allowed the others to do the same, and then busied herself by settling down in a chair and opening a thin volume she'd borrowed from Eiria, about Sasserine's history (Eiria herself had inherited it from an uncle and had never opened the book)

Edited by Kylia Quilor (see edit history)

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points ??
Active Conditions: none
Spells:

1st: (2/day) Heightened Awareness (2 hours), Saving Finale (2d4)
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

Receiving the letter at the Pelican

Seraphina stumbled down the stairs at her uncle's tavern a little before noon. He was in the common room, as usual, puttering around, cleaning up, generally preparing for the night when there would be more guests. Though the midday crowd wasn't exactly sparse. The Pelican was a popular spot and she had to admit that Uncle Argyle had built a nice place for himself. If only he wasn't so insufferable able the fact that she wasn't making any progress in that direction.

"Ah, glad you decided to grace us with your presence before dark!" he snarked, sarcastic with a biting tongue. She knew he loved her and she him but the man could have a biting tongue.

"I was thinking of having a priest come in to check whether you were in the process of turning to some hideous undead beast of the night. Still not sure I shouldn't," he muttered in a quieter tone with a smile.

"A note's come in fer ya," he finished, nodding to the bartender who handed it over. She looked at it read it over, then crumbled it up and tossed it in the bin.

"I told the wee lass who delivered it you'd be there. Better get goin', it'll take some time to make yourself presentable."

"You.. wait you what? You can't do that! I make my own decisions about the jobs I take!" she replied, indignant, her temper flaring.

"And when's the last time you had one of those? Huh?"

"I was singing at the Stallion last night!"

"And what did that pay, Ser? Huh? Getting drunk and singing until dawn isn't the same thing as a paying gig. Time you learned that. I've decided I'm to start charging you rent, effective now. Well, tomorrow, one night for free. Then it's the going rate. Seems like you're going to need to have some coin coming in pretty quick."

She growled and bit her lip, tasting the blood, trying to keep her temper in.

"Ah don't lose yer lid, Lass. It's time, you know it as well as I. I brought you and let you get yer feet back under ye but it's time to get out of the nest. Fly or get pushed. Go see the nice lady about the job, Ser. No harm in listening, maybe they will have food or drink?"

And it made her even angrier because she knew he was right. She also knew that if she lost her cool in his tavern he would charge her for every broken plate and chair (suddenly all heirlooms and antiques) and so forced herself back under control.

So she found herself feeling like a fish out of water at the Vanderboren estate that evening, looking over the small group of other people who looked like fishes out of water. One quite literally. But one face stood out, and she moved across the small atrium to give her half-brother a big hug.

"Urthan! I had to miss your last match, I heard it... didn't go well," she teased. Knowing how to get a rise out of your sibling and push his buttons was a tradition as old as time in families. Especially families like theirs. She didn't ask about Bua, she felt she could avoid that particular button For now.

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Tann accepted the letter with good grace, which she hoped would serve to cover her surprise at the voiced recipient of this missive. She then read its contents before murmuring “I’ll be there.”

Returning to the table and Icefalcon’s raised eyebrow, she gifted her friend and mentor with her usual somewhat triangular grin.  “It’s just Madeleine from the Boar’s Head asking me to put in a good word for her with you. You being the eligible bachelor ‘n all.”, she purred sarcastically.

Icefalcon, six and a half feet of solid muscle, chomping down on the previous night’s roast chicken, snorted in amusement at this. “It’s for you, not me, little Firebrand.”, he replied matter of factly.

On his perch the slate grey eLCiD, which stood for Long Claw Death, slept Tann’s self-named owl familiar, wholly unconcerned with anything save digesting the raiders of Farmer Hast’s fields and having a well deserved nap after a night of joyous bloody mayhem followed by some moonlight romance with Longbeak, the Butcher of Ratdom, and the Sorceress’ Lavinia’s owl familiar.

Tann passed Icefalcon the letter, which he gave the once over.. “Never took you for an avid social climber.”, he drawled, grinning. Tann, who very much took herself to be a Mage of the People, replied with a “Alright, laugh it up, laugh it up. Still… wonder what she wants of me.”

eLCiD having overflown the area, on silent wings several times. returned to his mistress and reported in Sign.. “Seems clear”. Tann’s owl fluttered with excitement. What Tann called reconnaissance in their shared sign language he called hunting and hunting was his favorite thing.

“Keep watch on the house.”, she replied, in sign, and then watched as El Cid beat its wings until he melded with the shadows, something he did very, very well.

At the gate she found she was not alone in being invited to this particular soiree. She’d figured there would be blood at the end of whatever this noblewoman wanted, since her reputation was as a bounty hunter and from what she could see of the others, fighting ability was certainly a consideration. Though there was one surprise. Iridni she knew from the Witchwardens. She had the impression she was some kind of librarian archivist type. Would they be taking last wills and testaments perhaps? She gifted the Iridni with a polite nod and watched as the half orcs did half orc greetings, gratifyingly physical as they were.

Ushered inside, she found herself doing a quick financial appraisal of the contents. Even a brief perusal assured her that there was enough her to finance the Mama’s Last Catch Orphanage for generations.  This made her grit her teeth somewhat, but a hunt was a hunt, regardless of its sponsor.

She introduced herself after Iridni.. “Tann Hauser.”, not bothering to add Mage or Wizard after her name. It really was that obvious.

Knowledge Local (take 10) = 20 What do I know of Lavinia Vanderboren?

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

Urthan

spacer.pngUrthan Dosk — Half-Orc Barbarian 1 (Armored Hulk)

AC/T/FF 15/10/15 | HP 14/14 | Init +0 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 6/2/4 | Darkvision 60
Raging 6/6 | Hero Points ??

The Letter

Urthan wiped the sweat from his brow, chest heaving after completing his calisthenics set. He took a few moments to catch his breath before striding over to the halfling woman, the difference in size truly on show even without boots or armour to add to his bulk or height. "A letter for me?" His heavy brow furrowed at the prospect, twisting his face into something more like a scowl.

"Now lass, don't you be worried. I know 'e looks meaner than a box of snakes, but he's a good lad." The greying dwarf sharing his workout assured the woman.

"Right. Thank you, ma'am." The half orc rumbles out a polite response to the letter, his smile serving to make his short tusks more prominent. "I'll be there." He assures the woman. Once she leaves, he turns on the dwarf. "'Grem, why you gotta make her think I'm mean? If anyone should assume 'mean', it's people looking at you!" 

"Yeah, that's the problem, lad! Bua didn't exactly seem wary of you in your last match, now did she?" The rejoinder stings, and Urthan winces at the verbal barb. 

"She's not gonna back off if I just give her a mean look!" He gamely tries to defend himself. "I've seen rocks with less grit than her."

"Aye she's a tough customer and no mistake. Maybe this job'll be good for ye then. Get some new tricks under your belt so you can catch her off guard." The suggestion is a good one, and Urthan sees it for what it is.

"Kord knows, it's worth a shot." He agrees, beginning to clean up from the workout.

"Sera!" His scale armour rustles metallically as he returns the crushing hug to his big sister. His joy dampens a little at the mention of his recent loss, but he recovers quickly. "I'd like to see you take one of her shots to the face." He rubs his jaw. "I'm surprised you and dad didn't feel that one all the way across town." He says with some good-spirited chagrin. "I'll get her next time. You have to come watch, eh? See me reclaim the family honour." He claps her on the back and turns to face the rest of the group. "Urthan Dosk. The rude one here is Seraphina." He elbows her in the ribs, returning the sibling jibe in turn. 

Tann, all dark hair and calculating eyes, cocks her head at the introduction from Urthan Dosk. "I've seen you fight in the Arena. Saw your last match with Bua.", she says with a twisted little grin. She ponders saying more on that score, but decides Urthan probably knows what she'd say anyway and wouldn't want to hear it, especially the part where she'd lost money betting on him. I know I wouldn't, if it were me., she thinks to herself.

She looks both of them, Urthan and Seraphina, over. They were both tall, though how tall she couldn't say, and built like the metaphorical brick shit house. They were not armed with sidearms, rather they were both sporting battlefield weapons, the kind that splits an opponent in half with a single stroke. She'd seen whales carved up with similar blades, though her kin had put a stop to that. They were also heavily armoured... splint mail. She pondered how she felt about their gear. Initially there was some disquiet at the thought of a job that needed swinging greatswords and polearms, but this was overborne by her usual dry humor. Going to need a mop and waterproof body bags but at least moving the bodies will be eaier, she thought to herself, recalling that the best way to move a corpse was to cut it up into four pieces, remove the teeth and nails and feed them to hungry pigs.

Grinning wryly once more, she introduces herself.. "Urthan, Seraphina.. Tann Hauser, combat mage and bounty hunter. I'm guessing we've not been invited to deal with an overgrown garden."

She glances over at Iridini.. "Or to rearrange the library into Dewey Decimal."

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

Iridni rolled her eyes. "My magical focus may be a little more sophisticated than blowing things up, but I'm not exactly helpless in a fight." Because of course the real measure of your worth was your ability to do violence on the world. Of course it was. Then she shrugged, "But more likely my inclusion in this little get-together is for my talents in divination and related magics. Problem-solving, rather than simply blasting something or thwacking them over the head."

Not that thwacking people over the head wasn't a useful skill, or even one that was simple to learn, but it was a common problem among people focused on the art of violence to value skill at violence and little else. Keoland's knights certainly agreed with that notion. And she'd found far too many here who overvalued such idiocy over intelligence.

Everything has it's place. And violence occupies too large a place for it's merits and utility.

Tann didn't appear affronted by Iridni's response, more like disappointed. There was a time and a place for humorous banter and this was defintely it. She'd made an effort to turn blades and fireballs into gardening strategies, self deprecation, as a prelude to the dewey decimal crack, but apparently Iridni had not divined this. This one is touchy, she thought to herself.

"I've heard that thwacking someone over the head is the conclusion of things like thrusts, parries, ripostes, footwork as well as fighting styles like Bonetti's Defence which of course is countered with Capapello, but which in turn is cancelled out by Tybalt, though only in the absence of Agrippa.", she responded, grinning.

"I'm joking Iridni.", she added a moment later, content to have defended the skill of fighters, though not her own. The idea that she should need to did not occur to her. 

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points ??
Spells:

1st: (2/day) Heightened Awareness (2 hours), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

Gathering at Vanderboren Estate

Seraphina grinned at Urthan's comment, shooting back quickly, "And I'd like to see her take one of your shots to the face. And the gods willing I finally will and you land a shot some day soon."

She laughed and tried not to wince when Urthan elbowed her in the ribs. She pushed back on his shoulder, though he didn't move much.

"Besides, why would she punch me in the face? I'm a lover and an artist, darling, not a fighter! Seraphina Stormborn at your service," she quickly turned and announced with a bow to Tann then Iridni, then nodded her head towards Urthan.

"He's the thwacker. I'm with the band. Well, I guess in a group like this I am the band. And you never know, I've heard stories about some savagely overgrown gardens on the West side of town, backing into the Amedio. Maybe Lady Vanderboren just needs some aggressive gardening done?"

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)

Alura UndertowAlura Undertow frowned at the old man sitting on the shore.  "What have you gotten me into now?

Pater Devir chuckled, "You need to spend more time among all aspects of humankind, including the nobility.

Alura shook her head, "I understand that you think it is best, but... are you sure?  I mostly admire those who risk."

Pater Devir shrugged, "Everyone risks something."

Alura rolled her eyes, "You know I meant risk their lives, not their position or wealth."

~~~~~~~~~~

Alura showed up to the meeting and was let in, surprised at the number of people present.  The young woman dressed in her best, meaning a very clean (basically new) healer's tunic and skirt.  It was white, simple, unadorned, and like most clothing, looked fabulous on her; the skirt accentuating her shapely legs.  Alura nodded to those she had met before, but spent the first moments looking around and assessing the atrium and guessing at the wealth of the lady and her family; despite how attractive the young woman was, she definitely looked like a fish out of water.

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)

Fiona Indermanspacer.png

Fiona had been outside for a while, waiting and watching. She'd finished at the inn and slipped away, nervous about the prying eyes of Marybeth more than anything else. Taking a roundabout path to reach her destination she was positive no one could have kept up with her. It helped of course that she'd scaled up a wall in a side alley to gaze at the surrounding area from above to make certain.

* Quite a few of invitations then I guess... * She'd watched from a small pocket of shadows once she'd reached her intended destination. It was more habit than anything else, and not really needed, yet she did so before finally venturing up to the guard and presenting her invitation.

Those already there she'd recognized, at least enough to remember many of their names, despite not knowing any of them very well. Still they were mostly townies, like herself, and even if they weren't close with one another they'd seen each other around town.

Fiona glanced at the others already there as she made her way to a nearby setee and climbed up onto it, She said nothing but did nod, and smile, in response to individual looks in her direction as she did so. Being the focus of attention was never anything she enjoyed and for the most part it simply put her on edge. Once she knew what all of this was about perhaps then she'd speak up, if it was needed.

OoC

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

Iridni rolled her eyes at Tann's comment. "And yet, all that knowledge, all those skills and techniques you mention exists and is used for one purpose, solving one kind of problem. How best to thwack someone over the head, or poke them with a sharp stick, or variations thereof. Not exactly problem solving, unless your problem is itself the kind best solved with violence."

At the half orc who professed musical talent - Seraphina - suggested, presumably as a joke, they were here for aggressive gardening, Iridni 'hmphed' in annoyance. Was that what passed as humor for her?

Tann frowned and sighed at this from Iridni, clearly giving up on talking to her while leaving her with the last word. She turned to Seraphina, hoping for a more pleasant experience. "What band are you with?", she asked, her good humor clearly returning."Do you play an instrument?"

1096643343_smirkingelfmale.jpg.ad16006421cd4fb56a53841a481904f7.jpgCalyx Thistlebloom, Elf Warpriest (notes)

HP 9/9, AC 17, Touch 13, FF 14, CMD 14
Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 6
Condition: None

Calyx enters the atrium, pausing for a moment as he takes everyone in.  There are faces he knows -- Urthan, for example, from repeated applications of divine healing after one unruly fracas or another.  There are others he knows by reputation -- Tann and Iridni were up-and-coming spellcasters, and those were always the subject of rumors and gossip as they made their names in the city.  Others were new faces to him, the towering half-orc female and the tiny halfling were complete unknowns to him.

"Um ... hi," he begins.  Not the strongest introduction, but he wasn't here to make a splash.  In fact, he didn't know why he was here at all.  If Deacon Pierce hadn't gently reminded him that community outreach was part of his civic duty, he might not have come at all.

"I'm Calyx."  He looks around the assembled folk, suddenly feeling both overdressed in his clerical vestments, and under-armed, unable to not notice the big half-orcs weapons.  One by one, he begins lamenting the decisions that lead him to this point in time.

"Nice to meet you all ... ?"