Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Durlag’s Tower - OOC

Poor_Knight

That's something I realized too, if we knew in advance we weren't able to re-lock the gate, we really should've just grabbed every single one of the holy symbols and skedaddled. Magic stone of anti-everything would've done our jobs for us. Hoping this particular storyline isn't one of the 'the villain tricks the heroes into doing their job for them' ones.

Such a fun word, skedaddle :D

Anyhow, giving the statues their opposites now makes a lot of sense that I realize it, the hint was giving the shorn a beard, and being the only obvious choice. I agree.

But I thought the stones were just impervious to ... everything, not actively magic blocking? Otherwise wouldn't it have forced Vall out of his wildshape. ... Although come to think of it, I don't think even AMFs pull druids out of wildshape, even though it's specifically called a magical ability.

I believe it means no magic can be cast whilst within its walls..

So since you are a magic form inside.. but cast from outside.. i think thats fine.. as long as you dont make contact with a wall..or ??? floor? actually you better just not touch anything but living foes...just in case...and stay in the air if you can fly.

8 hours ago, cheezal said:

I believe it means no magic can be cast whilst within its walls..

So since you are a magic form inside.. but cast from outside.. i think thats fine.. as long as you dont make contact with a wall..or ??? floor? actually you better just not touch anything but living foes...just in case...and stay in the air if you can fly.

I don't think I implied or said that, did I?

And yes, the description of the gates are strange (and I think not fully thought out).

The doors to the tower are sealed, and behind a gate hosting a curious locking mechanism. Two distinct layers of thick iron bars rise from the stone at the characters’s feet and disappear into the stone overhead, but there is a one-foot wide gap in the middle of the gate, shaped roughly like a gear.

The gates can be opened by inserting an affixed pair of specific holy symbols--the holy symbol of Moradin found in the Chapel area and the holy symbol of Silvanus found in the Wooded Copse area. Other holy symbols, even of those same deities, don’t work.

Conjoined holy symbols are used. The characters immediately unlock the gates. One of the gates sinks into the floor, and another gate rises into the ceiling. The door beyond is unlocked, and leads into the tower.

If you have to insert something (the key) into the gap in the gates, you'd need to pull your hand out quickly before one gate goes up and the other goes down. The keys don't disappear or go anywhere, so you still have them. But the gates are up (and down), leaving just the door, which has no lock. You could close the doors (but nor lock them) but the gates remain open.

My understanding was that the walls were protected by plot armor for the sake of high level spells like passwall/disintegrate/stone shape/teleport that might otherwise simply bypass the puzzles of the dungeon. But doing normal magic things inside is fine and we got a one use 'ignore plot armor' pass for the sake of teleporting out and back to the Seer, our resident quest giver. Then they just tossed on some fluff for the sake of worldbuilding/setting/not breaking the fourth wall with a battering ram.

So.... magical fire and melt through the stone, make some lava in the process! Good thing we have a fire elemental which is magical fire (or at least druid's wildshape melees are considered magical...), so we just .... slowly melt then move some anti-everything stone and make a nice new doorlock to lock out all the bad baddies. It's genius!

Damage to the walls is still covered by its plot armor. You would be better off using wall of stone to make a door stopper if you really want to relock the place up.

I think that is 70 damage if demon does not move, and 85 if he does.

Demons tend to have some magic resistance, so maybe a little less for the fire and thunder parts, but still a HEFTY opening attack!

I love swashbuckler!

Just waiting on Duncan and Theren to make an Initiative check to see if they beat 20...and get a shot off...

Poor! did we see where the Quasit landed,before it faded from view..

Does it have an initiative roll as well?

Just want to know in case people want to do an AOE attack in that general direction to try and hit it whilst we presume we know it's still there.

The closest Theren will get to being actually good at stabbing things. Also, I might have messed up labeling things in the dice rolls.

Should have been:

Atk 1

DMG 1

Atk 2

DMG 2

Hey i'm just glad we got some serious damage in,before it gets to react...

Hope Duncan gets to strike as well...

I think Theren may have declared on hiding behind the wrong statue.. i think by the map he is closest to the Hunter statue,as thats what he put the Flagon on..

The Shorn which is the one he declared is on the other side of the room..

And Eireann will go behind i presume the Delver???

Edited by cheezal (see edit history)

I have a question i have only just realised... Duncan and Lajal on their sheets have stated they are level 10..

This module is for pc's 11-16th level...

Does this mean they have to bump their pc's up by a level? or should they not have been able to run it..

I don't want two party members excluded from this battle..but i am kind of curious...

I mentioned the Delver in my post, so yes I am hiding behind that.

As for Duncan and Lajal, they will just have to deal with being a level below what they should be. I assume they can level up after the game.