OOC

Ruess

The similarities I referred to is our joint references that the noble lady might get the group into the hoity-toity portion of the city.

Not really sure where the rest of your grievance comes from, but so noted and placed in file 13! 😀

It would appear that my description was not conveyed as well as I sought.

I have provides you a map with legend/information included.

@Draidden@Terran

You two, take note and revise post plans.

Map And Legend

InnerCourtyardLayout.png.e8222887bede52606a26209c6da219e6.png

Red dot designates your location. Shade and Elektra both.

Brown buildings are local buildings, primarily businesses and residences.

White area designates narrow streets used by locals.

Black borders designate fences between areas, regions and buildings.

White box designates an entrance into a building. Most are doors of one kind or another, and most will open without lockpicking.

The two brown boxes and the brown circle are the tables mentioned. There are chairs and stools around them.

Blue Box is the crate that was mentioned. It looks to be made out of strong, dark wood.

White circles are the two individuals keeping watch. They appear idle and focused on their conversation.

Large White Box is the back entrance into the tavern proper.

Large Grey Box looks like it might be a garden shed, or something else. It is made of actual stone, and of solid work quality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If everyone can please hold from further posting?

I'm trying to wrangle up a post so as to have Varon address the points you have all raised. They are all very good posts, and I want you all to get the best result from this excellence in dialogue.

I must have missed something and, after several re-reads, I can't find "it" in any posts.

I'm either overlooking someone's plan/suggestion, or it happened when I was zonked from surgery, or perhaps it is a reference to something said before this meeting at a time when the party was still split up into 2 groups?

But what is meant by going strong?

If going "strong" meant a display of force, that was never intended and in fact my PC typically hides most of her weapons at all times as a matter of course.

However, I suppose Shade could try to sneak in so our number would be one fewer if sheer numbers is what you meant, but no one else has those skills that I know of in the party.

I thought the plan was just to sell some artwork and that our primary obstacle was making it through a check point into the ritzy part of town?

Basically, just a simple innocuous sales transaction followed by more underground exploration. Who would notice, who would even care?

Elektra is essentially a nobody. She is not affiliated with any church in the city or anywhere in the world since she is a Domain Priestess (Earth and Fire).

In fact, she doesn't even have a deity (Elementally empowered) so it's highly unlikely for her to be noticed, much less considered a threat.

She is a simple country cleric with her sisters, who have hired a couple bodyguards given recent events in the city to guard them and their valuables, no more.

Is anyone planning to do more than sell a piece of glass art or did someone suggest bringing attention to ourselves?

Also, is anyone planning to make inquiries of a religious or political nature?

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Terran said:

Absolutely, yes! We want to learn what we can about the recent assassinations and their potential link to the death cult, without drawing any undue attention, if that's even possible. It shouldn't affect our entry into the district, but could potentially affect our exit.

1 hour ago, Terran said:
But what is meant by going strong?

You've kinda got the right concept, but now apply social skills to it instead of weapons. If we're going to be asking Evening Glory any questions about the dead or what's going on here in general, then that approach can be anywhere on the spectrum from strong to subtle. Sneaking a small question in amongst a larger conversation or steering talk to get them to bring things up we want to know without directly asking them would be real subtle. Going in like a journalist asking hard-hitting questions demanding the truth would be real strong.

There's a lot of middle ground between those, and while we know a fair bit about them thanks to Sarai, it'll still be difficult to know where the line is that tips them over from confident to cautious.

Yes the plan is just for us to go in and get our sale done. We are also adventurers, a group Varon correctly points out are highly unpredictable and may decide to take action because we've found some bad shit going on that we may feel forced to handle ourselves in the moment. Maybe things go perfectly: we get in without complaint, we sell our loot, then we go home.

Skold is assuming a bad-case example where we're walking into something more than we gambled for. Maybe Evening Glory have performed their own enchantments on this noble and have the conversation controlled that makes the sale complicated. Maybe the noble is so distraught that discussing business is too difficult right now and if we're determined to get our sale then we might need to do something about it. Maybe there are death-based ritual shenanigans happening while we're there and we're rolling initiative against the entire dead family line animated from their tombs.

There's so many ways things can go wrong the moment we go through that door. Skold just wants to ensure we keep as much trouble and prying eyes off of us as possible so if something does go down then we have the best chance to do something about it, even if that thing is to simply escape and call for help...which is also unlikely as all the watch are busy at the bank.

If we only ever plan for the ideal situation, then we're potentially ruined if things go far enough away from said plan. None of us may have plans to do anything more than sell this art, might be no plans to inquire about things religious or political. Things can always change in the moment, and that is what I'm trying to plan for.

Absolutely, yes! We want to learn what we can about the recent assassinations and their potential link to the death cult, without drawing any undue attention, if that's even possible. It shouldn't affect our entry into the district, but could potentially affect our exit.

I figured someone would make inquiries eventually.

I was questioning whether there was some intent to make these inquiries while passing through a guard checkpoint or while selling artwork, not ever in the game.

Sorry, I thought that part was so obvious it didn't need to be stated. 🤕

You've kinda got the right concept, but now apply social skills to it instead of weapons.

You can rest assured that even meeting with Priests from Evening Glory is not at all on Elektra's bucket list, much less peppering them or their affiliates with suspicious questions.

I'm still not sure where all this is coming from based on the I.C. posting by myself and others, but I'll just write it off as, "It doesn't apply to me."

1 hour ago, Terran said:

You can rest assured that even meeting with Priests from Evening Glory is not at all on Elektra's bucket list, much less peppering them or their affiliates with suspicious questions.

I'm still not sure where all this is coming from based on the I.C. posting by myself and others, but I'll just write it off as, "It doesn't apply to me."

We weren't planning to meet with Evening Glory, or interrogate them concerning their visit. We're planning to sell a crystal sculpture to a noble and possibly, diplomatically find out what kind of shady dealings she has with this cult... as a favor to Varon and Shade for helping us.

I was also fairly tired and a little stressed from other stuff when I made the first post that seemed to throw you for a loop, so it's very possible that me not firing on full cylinders is the root cause of the confusion here. I was thinking ahead and didn't lead into that well enough. My bad, let's move on.