Spire Dormitory

hoverfrog

Okay. I've posted Thandeka's response to Alandri's disappearance. If need be, I will add a Diplomacy check to appeal to Silas' vanity.

If what I've come up with is unacceptable to what the GM wants, I will delete the post or change it as directed.

If Minja were still here we wouldn't dictate his actions, as it isn't our character. Nor would we take control of an NPC, so I'm not really comfortable with what just happened unless alot of private messages happened without my knowledge. We've no way to know how Hoverfrog was going to use Alandri, so assuming he just abandons the group in the market is disingenuous, he could very well become an NPC, until such time as real life settles down and he rejoins.

Maybe we let the GM decide how they want to handle it before making assumptions that involve another PC like that?

Wish I checked the OOC thread a little earlier, @MinjaMan - hope your nonprofit makes a positive impact and continues to grow. I was enjoying our characters' back-and-forth, maybe we'll see you around the 'Weave down the line. Best of luck!

EDIT: I agree we should get the GM's word before we do anything, although I don't have an issue with what was actually written; maybe Alandri gets a tropical illness and is bedridden, and the class moves on without him? Heck, there could be a whole side quest there (food poisoning? poisoning poisoning?). Or not, just spouting off.

It is a little stinky to lose our Sorcerer

Edited by The Foiler (see edit history)

Kaikara isn't that concerned, if they wanted more they would have sent us with more money. She, honestly, finds the entire thing beneath them ... and at the same time not. She doesn't feel like she is here because of any magical talent, so this task feels like something any mundane (which she considers herself) could do, while leaving the studying and training to the, actual, casters.

I think it may break what little 'cover' we have going if we start to negotiate after Silas already agreed to pay in full - it at least seems suspicious. And it's not our money, I say let's buy the birds and be off before something goes awry.

I was hoping for 2 more pieces of information first...

1. Is there at least one male in the 5 birds?

2. Their approximate age(s)?

Also...

Making a deal might be quite reasonable such as being able to hook the merchant up with first contact of a stable supplier (i.e. the breeder that the academy is supplying) as part of the trade. Definitely worth it! :D

17 hours ago, Ryfte said:

I was hoping for 2 more pieces of information first...

1. Is there at least one male in the 5 birds?

2. Their approximate age(s)?

Also...

Making a deal might be quite reasonable such as being able to hook the merchant up with first contact of a stable supplier (i.e. the breeder that the academy is supplying) as part of the trade. Definitely worth it! :D

Sorry, yes there is one male and not knowing anything about chicks, they are er....young teens. Weeks old? Is that old for a chick? Young teen in bird years.

Adult, egg laying age is approximately 20 weeks (really ranges between 17~18 weeks and 22~23 weeks), around 4 months generally speaking with some variety depending on different breeds. The boys, i.e. the roosters, tend to be overly eager and can start trying a few weeks earlier. At 3 weeks old they're 14 to 20 weeks away from breeding basically. If these Oj's are a difficult bird to breed they may have a later (i.e. longer) breeding cycle for example so they're fewer birds produced annually, often compounding the problem for species survival.

My mother grew up on a farm where they had all the typical livestock and she had a horse, along with the rest of the family, her two sisters and my grandparents. When I visited with my mother they still had most of the animals, and a LOT of chickens as they supplied most of the neighborhood with eggs still at that point. Sort of ironic as I think of it, I've got a lot of the actual knowledge with regards to farming that my character does, lol. A lot of general husbandry stuff, how to milk, and a lot about fruit and vegetables, especially fruit and nut bearing trees. You have never had good fruit until you've had fresh, ripe, off the tree / vine produce that hasn't had to be picked early for sale in a store! You're ruined for life after that, with regards to produce quality, heh. :D

Edit: Chickens, as chicks, are notoriously difficult to sex if you don't know what you're looking for. Even then a lot of people can guess wrong. It helps if you know the breed itself and what to look for in each. Its why I mentioned the wings and the layering. Most hens, even before displaying other gender based characteristics, grow their feather layers on their wings much earlier and visibly thicker than roosters do. So as long as they're young enough it can be the best way to tell.

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

I don't know about anyone else, but here in America we will be celebrating Labor Day on Monday, Sept. 4. Schools should be starting their academic year on Tuesday for most institutions, thus this is the unofficial end of summer and most people are taking vacations.

For those of you who observe the holiday, Happy Labor Day. For the rest of you, have a pleasant weekend.

• 2 weeks later...