Who wants to play/run Vampire: The Requiem?

RocknRollFTW

If you want to play/run Vampire: the Requiem, which is your preferred Edition?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. If you want to play/run Vampire: the Requiem, which is your preferred Edition?

• First Edition
    • Second Edition

As someone with a strong interest in Vampires, I've wanted to be part of a Vampire the Requiem game for awhile now. I haven't been able to find a game so far, so I'm hoping to get a game started here.

If someone else wants to run VtR, I'd love to be a player. If no one else volunteers to run a game, I'm willing to try but it would be my first time, so I'm very nervous. My personal preference is VtR second edition, but I know some people prefer first edition.

I haven't read Blood & Smoke cover to cover in ages, but I remember reading it at the time and liking it. But, knowing now what I didn't know then, I find it a bit too crunchy and too rules-heavy for Play-by-Post, esp. since it (and WoD games in general) are supposed to be story-first.

I'm running a hack of the game using the Ironsworn engine, and going through the excellent Fall of the Camarilla chronicle (the one set in the late Roman era). I find the ease of switching between guided/cooperative/solo modes really useful for a vampire game (for example, the PCs have currently split up and are hunting, and everyone is handling their threads as solo chapters). If you are interested, shoot me a PM, but no pressure.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Essex said:

Still nothing?

As far as I know, many dedicated World of Darkness fans prefer the Old IPs versus the New ones (Vampire: the Masquerade vs. Vampire: the Requiem). At least as far as the lore goes (many seem upset that an actual God figure turned into a supercomputer, with angels being reduced to just computer programs, etc.).

If you're talking just base mechanics, I think the core stuff from NWoD works pretty well for stand-alone games. For instance, about a year or more ago someone ran a Scooby Doo game using those mechanics but none of the lore. It worked good, but the game died so I can't say for certain how well it would've done overall.

On 10/30/2023 at 3:12 PM, Malkavian Grin said:

As far as I know, many dedicated World of Darkness fans prefer the Old IPs versus the New ones (Vampire: the Masquerade vs. Vampire: the Requiem). At least as far as the lore goes (many seem upset that an actual God figure turned into a supercomputer, with angels being reduced to just computer programs, etc.)

Exactly this, to me. The Virtual Adepts were right, and I hate it. Lol! As far as VTR goes, I admit some bias. I like the expanded factions beyond those of VtM, but greatly miss the setup of Caine, the clans, etc. My ideal version of VTR would be a blend of both lores.

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, Stygian said:

Exactly this, to me. The Virtual Adepts were right, and I hate it. Lol! As far as VTR goes, I admit some bias. I like the expanded factions beyond those of VtM, but greatly miss the setup of Caine, the clans, etc. My ideal version of VTR would be a blend of both lores.

One could form a story with VTM standards in mind. Something a lot of people don't do because players so well know the lore. I'm not so sure of V:tR but i know in Masquerade the idea is the chars are usually new and know very little of anything with most stuff seeming to be rumors if they even care to find out about the history at all. Completely skipping over stuff like Caine and just looking at all the "origins" as just folklore.
Starting a game with the chars more focused on the here and now versus the far out there stuff works better. You don't need to know who the clan founder is when you are trying to build a power base and take down some upstarts.
I also had an idea kinda similar to Trueblood/AnitaBlake novels. Have the Vampires out. Clans are still clans but the Covenants are political/diplomatic factions with the human government. Basically how each group sees vampire/human relations.
The Invictus would be those who want Vampires to take a leadership rule along side humans. Using resources and power to intertwine/take over governments. Akin to how corporations intertwine in politics.
The Lancea Santum are those who care little for the actual politics of the government but would seek to use religion to control. Just another of many cults pushing an archaic book to make people follow a set course of rules.
The circle of the Crone a mix of Invictus and Lancea a group of "Cultists" who seek control of the populous with a twist of femininity.

The Carthians is the opposite of the Invictus who just wants to make sure Vampires have rights and are protected.
Ordo Dracul could be a bit of all of them minus the religious aspect. More of the types who want to rule via the old ways of power and might while admitting they are and always will be vampires. Perhaps more like the crime family that slipped into politics versus the family that was raised in politics.
Not the best fleshed out but it does add a new twist that would eliminate much of the lore and provide a new way to play the game.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:28 AM, Essex said:

One could form a story with VTM standards in mind. Something a lot of people don't do because players so well know the lore. I'm not so sure of V:tR but i know in Masquerade the idea is the chars are usually new and know very little of anything with most stuff seeming to be rumors if they even care to find out about the history at all. Completely skipping over stuff like Caine and just looking at all the "origins" as just folklore.
Starting a game with the chars more focused on the here and now versus the far out there stuff works better. You don't need to know who the clan founder is when you are trying to build a power base and take down some upstarts.
I also had an idea kinda similar to Trueblood/AnitaBlake novels. Have the Vampires out. Clans are still clans but the Covenants are political/diplomatic factions with the human government. Basically how each group sees vampire/human relations.
The Invictus would be those who want Vampires to take a leadership rule along side humans. Using resources and power to intertwine/take over governments. Akin to how corporations intertwine in politics.
The Lancea Santum are those who care little for the actual politics of the government but would seek to use religion to control. Just another of many cults pushing an archaic book to make people follow a set course of rules.
The circle of the Crone a mix of Invictus and Lancea a group of "Cultists" who seek control of the populous with a twist of femininity.

The Carthians is the opposite of the Invictus who just wants to make sure Vampires have rights and are protected.
Ordo Dracul could be a bit of all of them minus the religious aspect. More of the types who want to rule via the old ways of power and might while admitting they are and always will be vampires. Perhaps more like the crime family that slipped into politics versus the family that was raised in politics.
Not the best fleshed out but it does add a new twist that would eliminate much of the lore and provide a new way to play the game.

I don't even necessarily mind the origin from Requiem--VtM already treats the origin of Kindred as multiple choice! 😆

I don't think they're incompatible at all, aside from turning some Clans into bloodlines and folding them into other lineages. Lol.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:19 AM, Stygian said:

I don't even necessarily mind the origin from Requiem--VtM already treats the origin of Kindred as multiple choice! 😆

I don't think they're incompatible at all, aside from turning some Clans into bloodlines and folding them into other lineages. Lol.

Yeah but many groups I played in just ran with the set lore of Caine and the second city where games I ran I tried to make it seem like the story of the antideluvians and all the Nod stuff was like folk lore and such. Fairy tales only fledglings would believe.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, Kylia Quilor said:

If this actually happens, count me interested. I would prefer 1e, though 2e had some interesting ideas that I liked (and VtR 2e mostly evaded the God Machine stuff so it's not hard to just pretend it's not a thing for that one)

My idea or just any game in general?