Chapter 2 — The Long and Winding Road

iantruesilver

Within the storage shed, the android sported the blank, confused look for a moment more before snapping out of it. At the same time, the mysterious purple veins fade under her skin.

"I…" Violet began, blinking rapidly, but then she nods and lets go of the container to relinquish it to Val, "Yes Val."

"You folks are welcome to keep it for all I care." Velen cut in after witnessing the tense moment, "It's done my husband and me a fat load of good as you can see."

Poking his head in through the door of the building, a once again unmasked Zyrel added, "I'm with T'Sarra on this. Hopefully Master Khonnir is already back from his expedition by the time we get home, but worst case Sable Barrow, we have no guarantee."

Outside, once having located a shovel or few, the task of digging a grave and interring the body was a relatively simple, albeit sombre task. And having done that, the general sentiment seems to lean towards turning in for the evening, and letting the rest be sorted out after sunrise.

spacer.pngVal smiles at the android, "I promise that if these are good for you, I will be happy to let you have them."

Turning to Velen, Val nods, "Thank you for that, but if these have value, I will be sure to get that to you eventually. Your husband often worked for my father. If you wish to bring your child and stay at Torch with us, you are welcome, if you wish to remain here - what can we do in the next day or so to make you safer?"

Val holds the can cradled in one arm and offers the rifle Violet used on the robot to Velen, "Do you know how to use this? If not, I can show you."

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/11  | AC 18(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) 

T'Sarra went with Barhuce and Vri to lay the poor man to rest. As they did she nudged Barhuce and asked, "What's a Sable Barrow?"

After working on the digging, T'Sarra was more than happy to take a night inside, and to watch the farm house for at least one night.

"We should probably set a watch in case any more of those plasma shooting abominations come looking for some sweet sweet nanites. Probably safest in pairs, say Val and Violet, Barhuce and me then Rain and Vri in the morning? Either way I'm eager to get moving out of here as soon as possible. Sounds like things aren't going well in Torch. We should get back soon as we can."

Actions:

Swift:

Move:

Standard (full):

Statistics Block

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2706876][B][SIZE=+1]T'Sarra Khonnor[/SIZE][/B][/URL] F NG tiefling (demon-spawn) Oracle, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 11/11, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 17, [B]Fort[/B] 2, [B]Ref[/B] 3, [B]Will[/B] 2, [B]CMB[/B] +4, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B] longspear [/B] +4*** (1d8+6, x3) [B] claws [/B] +4*** (1d4+4x2, x2) [B] lamellar leather[/B] (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 18, Dex 7, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 17 [B]Condition[/B] None
T'Sarra Khonnor
F NG tiefling (demon-spawn) Oracle, Level 1, Init 3, HP 11/11, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 17, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
longspear +4*** (1d8+6, x3)
claws +4*** (1d4+4x2, x2)
lamellar leather (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 7, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 17
Condition None

spacer.pngAt the event of Val's rapidly taking away of the two most recent things the android has gravitated to, Violet's eyes blinked rapidly, following the firearm that she had used to destroy one of the scorpion-like robots mere minutes ago. She remained silent however otherwise.

"No, my husband Durom never let me touch the thing, said it wasn't good for women." Velen shrugged nonchalantly and shook her head, perhaps as if she was herself apathetic about the weapon.

A few moments passed quietly as she contemplated her situation while idly patting the baby's back, before she continued, "I think I will stay for the time being, and at least try to do something with what my husband's left behind. I appreciate your offer Val, thank you."

spacer.png"Val, if all else equal," Zyrel piped up just then with a proposition, "The priority right now is to get you home. I can stay to help Velen where she needs around here, then make my way to Torch to rejoin you afterwards."

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

spacer.pngVal nods to Zyrel, "Thank you for that, I wanted to press on, but I couldn't leave a woman and child alone and exposed. I am proposing to continue to Torch immediately, if anyone wishes to stay with Zyrel, they may do so and join us at Torch."

Turning to Velen, "Zyrel will act to make you safe and I will see, as soon as possible, to repay you for both the can and the gun."

Val turns back to Violet, "Fair is fair, it's one thing to take something from those who don't need it anymore and another to pilfer property. Since she doesn't want it, and you can use it... it's yours." Val tosses her the gun, "I can share some of my paper bullets if it uses the same ammo." She holds up the can, "As far as this is concerned, can I ask that you not use it until we've talked about it and come to some decision as to what it is and what it does?"

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2744078][B][SIZE=+1]Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 11/11, [B]Speed[/B] 30ft [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 0, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1 [B]silversheen, MC rapier [/B] +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2) [B]cold iron dagger [/B] +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] shortbow (20) [/B] +4 (1d6, x3) [B] Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15 [B]Condition[/B] None hero points: 1/1
Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
hero points: 1/1

Vri wasn't sure if leaving what she thought their best caster behind was a good idea, but at least it was a solution. And Velen would be well protected.

"I'll move on," she said, "we best take some of those robot parts with us. Maybe we can use them somewhere else, or sell them."

OOC

none

Barhuce

spacer.png

Barhuce shrugs at T'sarra's question. "I don't know. A black grave? A wheelbarrow made of ebony? A secret organization of necromancers?"

"A guard rotation for the night sounds like a good idea. The groupings work for me."

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 3/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 3/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

drink elixir of CLW

spacer.pngViolet pouted when Val chastised her about pilfering, and then suddenly her eyes shifted as though reminded of something important. Blinking, she shoved her hand into a small pouch at her belt, and produced a handful of coins, roughly thirty gold worth at first glance, and shoved the sum in her open palm towards Val and Velen in general.

spacer.png"Domino gave this to me before we found you in the place where I woke up." Violet offered, knowing only how to tell the truth. Indicating her rather odd style of dress, she added, "She found it in the room with the rest of our things."

Not really having the context to connect the significance of what happened, Velen smiled kindly to the android, "Oh no no dear, you and your friends saved my daughter's life and mine. I couldn't possibly take your money."

"Please, if you like that old gun, take it. My husband Durom would've been proud to have it passed to you."

Val nods, "What you and Domino split between you in your escape from that place before we met you is yours. Don't worry about that. It's good to know that Domino didn't leave without taking anything."

The remainder of the night passed without much excitement. The party did what they could with limited time to help fix some broken things around the farm, and a schedule of watches ensured that those travelling the next day could get sufficient rest.

The next morning, Velen said farewell to the group, sending them off with some cured meats and pickled vegetables. Zyrel stayed behind to assist the widow, seeing to security needs around the farm and the village in general, promising that he would return to Torch posthaste soon as that work is done.

With those assurances being made, the group can feel relieved that their immediate task now would be to continue their remaining trek toward Val's hometown of Torch, to investigate upon what had transpired since their departure.

[[ End Chapter Theme ]]