New Player Event

@Vladim had a great idea to do a new player event when we transition to Baldr - essentially, people running some one-shots in a variety of systems specifically geared towards players new to Myth-Weavers, or potentially just new to the systems.  I think everyone can quickly see the value of such a thing, so I'd like to get the ball rolling on that now.  Who might be interested in running something, what are you interested in running, and do you have any ideas on how to improve the overall idea?

I personally envision this kicking off when sign-ups are done directly on Baldr and myth-weavers.com points to Baldr, but timing can also be discussed.

To kick things off, I would likely run something in Worlds Without Number, though what precisely I'm uncertain of.

I feel like I don't deserve any credit for the idea given that I basically just saw it elsewhere... but happy to throw my hat in the GMing ring (depending only on my specific RL circumstances at the time this happens). I have lots of systems and ideas I'd be happy to run a short one-shot for. Ironsworn, Beowulf, Esteren, Endure, Vampire, Changeling... to name a few.

In fact, rather than doing it as a one-off, maybe look to do a regular beginners session.  There's a similar initiative over at RPGx that I saw where they have regular GMs host very short 1:1 games for newbies to the medium to introduce them to specific systems and how PbP works.

I think they also do a similar thing for training GMs new to the medium too (where the experienced GM plays the part of the player and guides the newbie in the GM role as they see fit).

1 hour ago, cailano said:

I could run one of the short Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures from Chaos Rising.

*Makes happy noises of small excitement*

Now what we need is a bunch of people to run 5e. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember it being a popular system 🙂

On 4/14/2023 at 11:55 AM, Suzuki Stumpy said:

I think they also do a similar thing for training GMs new to the medium too (where the experienced GM plays the part of the player and guides the newbie in the GM role as they see fit).

Great idea! I'm a fan of getting more people into the GM chair.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2023 at 7:54 PM, Shocker said:

One day I might scrounge my courage together and going to run a module, noob GM for noob players. Let's all crash and burn.

PbP is a great way to break into GMing. The slower pace provides for a more relaxed environment than a live game does, which allows time to look up rules, consider responses and make decisions without the pressure of immediate improvisation. Give it a shot. You'll do better than you give yourself credit for.